NewCelica.org Forum banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yea they were really nice and helpful. Im sure if I complained more or argued more I couldve gotten then to send me a shipping label to send the old one back... But I figured it wouldn't be a big deal.

The new strut arrived pretty quickly probably 2-3 days? After I sent them info. I just provided pictures and my invoice for the date of purchase for proof. Then they sent me the tracking number and it was all good.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'm going to be installing some per a customer request on a 1995 Jetta III driven by a 440lb <s>man</s> boy. I don't for see this going well, I'm pretty sure it rubs on stock suspension.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Do it and post pictures. I have raceland and rub in the rears as I go over bump

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I cranked the rears up to compress the helper springs to 45mm unloaded to give about a 2-2.5 inch gap between the wheel well and top of the tire, in the front he needs longer springs. The same gap meant compressing the helper spring totally and the main spring by about 5mm. With the original suspension his side of the car sunk about 2 inches when he sat in it. Had to install camber bolts up front and max them to get the camber close to spec so the alignment can be done to spec so we don't get blamed if he chews through tires. I have one more inner/outer tierod to replace then it can be test driven and aligned as well as possible then handed off to him. If I had known he was going to buy these I'd have told him to order them with longer springs all the way around, he's going to have too little suspension travel in the front with his weight and be hitting the bump stops all the time. He should have just bought some cheap FCS stock parts from eBay or Amazon, but he's a fucking know it all idiot. Put in spark plugs to fix his bad fuel pump, Bosch +4, took off the intake manifold to do it (plenty of access to the plugs on the old 2.0 ABA engine with the intake installed). He's gone to school to be a 'mechanic' but can't even fit under the dash of a car and already has a host of obesity related chronic conditions that severely limit his physical abilities.

Anyway, yea I'll snap some photo's of how it's sitting, but no I'm not taking any with him in the car. Just putting the rings at the bottom of the helpers with light tension tucked the front and rear wheels pretty hard...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
So the Racelands on that Jetta jounce horribly and creak and pop terribly over bumps and when the steering is turned side to side.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Yep. Jr mechanic comes and says "yea they're popping because you didn't set the preload". I explained that preload only applies to REAL coilovers and that his ride height and spring tension are married together and you can't change one without the other.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Preload is the tension set on the spring before the weight is set on the spring. Say you set 5mm of preload on the spring, it's compressed by 5mm before putting the vehicle weight on it, if it's a 6kg/mm spring then it's been preloaded 30kg, Raceland can't have preload set since ride hight is set by the spring tension. You add tension to push the car higher or remove tension to let it sag lower. Preload only applies to coil overs which have a ride height setting independent of spring tension.

301 - 313 of 313 Posts