NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to lower and stance my 2000 celica this summer. I've been looking at raceland coilovers and I've heard great things about them and I've also heard terrible things. I just want to know what makes them so bad? I know they're cheap, but with my budget if they're really not that bad why shouldn't I get them? I just can't find solid information on why they may or may not be a good investment.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
you just opend a can of worms when it comes to raceland coils. a few will chime in to defend this brand and many will chime in to tell you how bad they are from past experience.

you want to go cheap then just cut your springs its about the same as buying racelands

·
FU-Q
2,469 Posts
NEVER cheap out when it comes to suspension...I almost bit the bullet and bought some. I lucked up and found some coils locally that were barely used for a steal. Just be patient and scour craigslists and the forums for deals.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have them on my celica and I like them. I had tanabe springs before raceland and I actually like raceland more. They are cheaper and are cheaply built.

·
Registered
58 Posts
let me tell ya'll a story(cracks open beer) once upon a time when was still in the nissan game i had some money to burn and went coilover shopping, and i fell into the "more money=more better" trap, and i bought a set of megan street series coil, the most expensive megans available for my vehicle at the time, my car never saw a track and was hilariously under powered, i basically just bought expensive coils to slam my car(lowest setting, dialed up the preload, and stiffest damping setting), the moral of the story is, know your application, if yr just gonna daily this thing, go for some racelands, or yonaka coils, if it's not a race car why buy top quality, expensive racing coils

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
They ride terribly and are very cheap, so if you're into bouncing down the road on springs and struts with horribly mis matched rates then go for it. If you want some modicum of control and ride quality spend a little more for the BC's. I'm running 8K front and 12K rear BC's and even my mother doesn't think it rides that badly. It's harsh over large dips, bumps, and rough patches but otherwise it's pretty smooth and very very daily drive tolerable. Bonus, they can be rebuilt where as the Raceland are pretty much just cheapy twin tube shocks with spring perches and threaded bodies, basically they're ebay coil over drop springs built onto cheap struts. Save yourself the $300 and just buy the cheapest ebay coil over drop springs and put them on a set of Stagg struts, you'll have the same thing as Racelands without the red paint.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
let me tell ya'll a story(cracks open beer) once upon a time when was still in the nissan game i had some money to burn and went coilover shopping, and i fell into the "more money=more better" trap, and i bought a set of megan street series coil, the most expensive megans available for my vehicle at the time, my car never saw a track and was hilariously under powered, i basically just bought expensive coils to slam my car(lowest setting, dialed up the preload, and stiffest damping setting), the moral of the story is, know your application, if yr just gonna daily this thing, go for some racelands, or yonaka coils, if it's not a race car why buy top quality, expensive racing coils
You're an idiot. Cheap coils are just that, cheap. They are made with inferior materials which are prone to failure and there is little to no R&D that goes into them other than where to put bolt holes. And your idea of an expensive/high quality coilover is incorrect. A $1000 set of Megan coilovers are not a great coilover. Are they Raceland bad? No, but that doesn't mean they are a great coilover.

OP if you are interested I have a set of BC coilovers with custom inserts and Hyperco springs for sale that I am letting go for cheap. If you are really interested in slamming and fitting your car these are the best coils for that task.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A $1000 set of Megan coilovers are not a great coilover. Are they Raceland bad? No, but that doesn't mean they are a great coilover.
perfect example of knowing your application, because of the (un)popularity of my old 200sx after market coils where very limited, is megan the best coil, no. did they work great for what i used them ABSOLUTELY, no sure what they run now, but when i bought them i pick'em up for 800, OP if yr not looking to slam yr ride you should look at some strut and lowering spring combos

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Even BC's are pretty entry level. They have some more up market offerings but not for the Celica last I knew. Anything that adjusts compression and rebound together is entry level stuff and not going to perform the best, but at least there's some tuning to how they run. Racelands have no adjustment at all and the damping is not matched to the springs what so ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im a little late on this but ive been on racelands for over 2 years. They really are not as bad as some make them out to be. If you just want to lower your car and your current suspension is shit then id go with racelands. I think people say they are so terrible because they either never tried them and are just looking at the price or tried to lower their car to the lowest setting on them and drove it like they stole it. Really all they are is lowering springs with struts that have adjustable ride height. And if you don't enjoy replacing tires every 3 months then you need to get adjustable camber top mounts in the front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts