NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had problems with water comning into the raised hood scoop when it raining? Its starting to rain here now and im worried that too rain much comming throught the bigger hood scoop would not be good for the motor.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Nothing to worrie about IMHO, had the C-one C.F. hood scoop on for well over a year and no problems over here.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
i dont think the water will even touch your injectors.. maybe just the coilpacks. but thats not even an issue. only issue for me is my valve cover is polished and i get sooo many damn water spots on it.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Everything is completely sealed off from the elements around that area. You don't think a ton of water already comes in through the stock scoop? My strut bar only gets filthy in the area near the scoop. All water spots and stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
OT...

So really, why do cars without forced induction have hood scoops at all? To look cool, I guess? But then, doesn't that make it more 'uncool' looking for those of us in the know? I'll never understand this...

That being said, I think those raised scoops look tight on the Celi. =)

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Originally posted by jamester
OT...

So really, why do cars without forced induction have hood scoops at all? To look cool, I guess? But then, doesn't that make it more 'uncool' looking for those of us in the know? I'll never understand this...

That being said, I think those raised scoops look tight on the Celi. =)
Doesn't the scoop help ventilate the engine bay, and thus lower the temperature under the hood -- or not enough to make any difference?

-jl-

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by jlitman
Doesn't the scoop help ventilate the engine bay, and thus lower the temperature under the hood -- or not enough to make any difference?

-jl-
On our cars, it cools the firewall down since our header is right next to it. The reverse scoops that Trans Ams and Camaros have are functional, removing heat from the engine bay, but there really aren't many other NA cars out there with functional scoops, or scoops at all. The previous gen Mustangs, it's purely cosmetic (Mustangs' are sealed off, completely non-functional :thumbdown ).

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
The reverse scoops that Trans Ams and Camaros have are functional, removing heat from the engine bay, but there really aren't many other NA cars out there with functional scoops, or scoops at all.
Interesting! Well then, would it be worth having a reverse scoop on our cars too? Or, put another way, how could one fabricate/relocate/reposition a hood scoop to make it more of a performance mod?

Relatedly, why does a forward scoop fail to remove heat from under the hood? Is it because the force of the air stream generated while driving prevents the hot air from escaping?
(Hmmm ... this is a physics problem, dammit :chuckles: )

-jl-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts