NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a raised hood scoop for about three years now and i got it painted red but before it was red, it came carbon fiber. I got it used and i paint it red becasue during tha time, i got my car theme red and white. since i am goin for a different look, if i get paint thinner and get rid of the red paint, can i still see the carbon fiber that was orginally there

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
you should since it was wrap or overlayed with carbon fiber. But you will have to reapply some clear coat after that.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
^^Hmm, that's a tough one. After talking to my dad, who owns a bodyshop, he suggests buying a new scoop. You could remove the paint by wetsanding the whole thing with 1000 grit paper, and the re-applying clear once you got down to the carbon. But, there is a chance that you could end up messing up your scoop. If a bodyshop did it, it would cost more than it's worth.

I would attempt it myself since I have access to the shop. Otherwise, I would just buy a new scoop. Hell, might as well get a CF hood w/scoop while you are at it. ;)

·
Banned
118 Posts
don't buy a new scoop and waste money.. Just use some sand paper and scuff the paint away until you see the black carbon. From there you still have some clear between that depending who you bought the cf scoop from.. Then you can wet sand and apply the 3m polish and your back to your cf style. Good Luck.. If you need more help just PM me.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
If its stock red, Ill buy it from you and you can buy a new carbon fiber one.

As long as the condition of the paint is good and it fits well.

PM me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts