NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gardemeister goes back to driving school

Suzuki World Rally Team driver Toni Gardemeister spent all day Monday at a driving test centre in Sapporo after a mix up with his international driving licence meant he had to get a Japanese one.

Gardemeister’s licence was issued in Monaco but was deemed invalid by the Japanese authorities, who wouldn’t let him drive in the country without passing the Japanese test. So on Monday 27 October, instead of taking a rest day as he had planned, the Finn, who has been a WRC driver since 1996, reported to the test centre to learn the rules of the road.

“In the morning I had to go to a classroom for some lessons, then after that I had to sit an exam, have my eyes tested and then take an instructor out in a car,” explained Gardemeister. “The road test was quite strange; it was in a big old Nissan or Toyota - I’m not sure which - and even though the instructor knew I’d been a rally driver for a long time he did things absolutely according to the book. It took the whole day to get the licence. It was a bit boring, I suppose. There was a lot of hanging around and it took about eight hours but at least I passed. I now have a Japanese driving licence for three years!”

As a newly qualified driver Gardemeister must display a green and yellow ‘Wakaba Mark’ sticker on the bonnet and rear window of his SX4 WRC to warn other road users of his inexperience!

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3057&desc=Gardemeister%20goes%20back%20to%20driving%20school%20&rally_id=J&season=2008

Be like Toni Gardemeister and get yourself a wabaka sticker, TODAY!
Suzuki isn't doing that bad. Better than Hyundai's first season...

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
ok.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Wow - TEIN includes those with their suspension products. I'm not sure what to make of that.... :D

On another note, if you can Pass the Japanese driving test in one day as a Gaijin, you are doing pretty darn well.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Been hearing about this, it would be interesting to watch if he made the jump. Saw the JP Rally and he wasn't having fun with all the ridges but did a good job.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OOO! Loeb finished in 8th, right behind Kubica. Not bad not bad. He beat the crap out of Senna though. More reason that Senna should be test driver and not offered a seat in F1 next season.

Times
01 T. Sato Toro Rosso 01:20.763 121 laps
02 S. Buemi Toro Rosso 01:21.071 117 laps
03 A. Wurz Honda 01:21.198 77 laps
04 P. de la Rosa McLaren 01:21.417 65 laps
05 G. Paffett McLaren 01:21.956 78 laps
06 L. Badoer Ferrari 01:22.038 94 laps
07 R. Kubica BMW 01:22.341 56 laps
08 S. Loeb Red Bull 01:22.003 82 laps
09 N. Piquet jr. Renault 01:22.560 80 laps
10 C. Klien BMW 01:22.883 53 laps
11 N. Hulkenberg Williams 01:23.794 86 laps
12 V. Liuzzi Force India F1 01:23.794 86 laps
13 A. Sutil Force India F1 01:23.832 88 laps
14 M. Gen

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
That guy sure can drive. What is it with frenchmen and rally anyways? There seems to be some recessive rally champ gene floating around the French population.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my question is, what's up with the name "Sebastien" and its slight variances? Should name my kid Sebastian, give him a kart and hope he ends up being a rally or f1 champ... or both?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That guy sure can drive. What is it with frenchmen and rally anyways? There seems to be some recessive rally champ gene floating around the French population.
Probably something alike to Brazilians and football (soccer).

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Five-time World Rally Champion Sebastien Loeb could make it in Formula One, according to Red Bull's Daniele Casanova.

The Frenchman tried his hand at F1 at Barcelona earlier this week as reward for winning his latest World Rally title and he much impressed the Red Bull team with his eighth placed finish on the timesheets.

"I expected to be pleasantly surprised and that was the case," Casanova told Autosport.

"Sebastien has been really impressive. He has stepped into the car and not put a foot wrong from the beginning."

The 34-year old completed 82 laps without any hassles in a RB4 complete with Bridgestone slick tyres and simulated '09 levels of downforce.

Casanova hailed Loeb to be of "midfield" F1 pace and revealed that Red Bull had a rather productive session at the Spanish circuit.

"It's hard to tell the exact pace," said Casanova. "From the fastest car to the slowest there is a 25km/h difference, so clearly a lot of people are running many different configurations, including KERS, wings and tyres.

"We are the correct weight, so at a guess I would say Sebastien is running somewhere in the midfield, which is mighty impressive.

"It's obviously fun to run a driver like Sebastien, but we also got a lot of useful work done. The new tyres are things that we have only tested two or three times before and they are really quite different. The idea is that this would be a normal test for us. So he was going at a good test pace, without taking any risks."

Loeb relished the opportunity offered to him by Red Bull but denied claims that he might have a future in the sport.

"Maybe I am too old," he told Autosport.

"If I was going to do that, it's something that I should have thought about doing a few years ago. This only came about because it was an opportunity offered to me by Red Bull.

"You can't compare F1 to rallying, they are so different. It's not true that rallying is more of a comfort zone, because when I am flat-out on the stages I am concentrating just as hard as I was today."
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4527708,00.html

Would be nice to see an F1 driver with a different background. I don't think he's too old though. Barrichello and Coulthard are in their late 30s.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
He'll have to get used to wheel-to-wheel racing if he makes the jump. Don't know if he's been in that situation before.

·
Super Moderator
52,074 Posts
FIA confirms WRC's non-turbo future
complete article
The FIA World Motor Sport Council has ratified the World Rally Championship's switch to non-turbocharged Super 2000 cars from 2011.

While it had been known for some time that the S2000 rules would form the basis of the WRC's next technical package, there was continued debate over how much the more standard cars would be modified for rallying's premier category.

The FIA Rallies Commission decided last month that turbochargers should not be added, and that the only change to the basic S2000 rules would be the addition of extra aerodynamic components. That suggestion was officially approved at today's WMSC meeting.
I don't like the sound of that.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Thats a real shame, their engines are amazing and i love wrc.
I think without turbos their engine development costs would still be pretty high going with full NA race engine builds which probably wont be that powerful anyway.

I just finished watching WRC - Crashes 2. All the best crashes and talks on car structures ect.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
They'll go hybrid and Toyota will sport a Prius. :rofl: Not!

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VOTE FOR THE MOST SPECTACULAR CRASH!
Throughout April on wrc.com we're running a video vote to find the top 10 most spectacular crashes from the WRC video archive. In this section you'll find our 20 shortlisted clips. All you have to do is award points to each of them, from a low of one to a maximum 10 for the most spectacular. We'll add up the scores and bring you the results on May 1st.

It's reassuring to know that nobody was seriously hurt in any of these crashes. The vast majority walked away, thanks largely to a range of safety measures which are now compulsory on all World Rally Cars. So alongside our crash vote this month we'll bring you a series of features explaining some of these safety systems in more detail. We'll also explain how lessons learned from each crash, including those shown here, have helped to make modern day WRC cars safer than ever before.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH AND VOTE!

My favs are the #5 and #8. Lucky [email protected] didn't even try to run.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I liked 8 and 13 for the narrow escape of the stewards. Number 8 may be one of the top 5 worst. Amazing how the car flipped up in the air just before the steward.
Number 13 is more funny than terrible. The guy was literally saved by the three.

·
Super Moderator
52,074 Posts
Urmo Aava says that Suzuki are currently building an S2000 car for WRC
full story
There has been no official announcement from Suzuki about an S2000 project since they withdrew from the WRC in December last year.

Suzuki had stated in the past that their goal was to develop an S2000 machine based on the SX4 WRC and that they might have taken a sabbatical from the WRC to do this, though those comments were made before the official withdrawal.
Looking forward to seeing the car when it's done.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking forward to seeing the car when it's done.
+1
they were doing pretty well before they dropped last year. if they're coming back next year, i'd like to see them at least challenge the Ford drivers. Loeb is too powerful... he needs to be stopped!

1 - 20 of 259 Posts