NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been active on here lately (not that anyone really is), but I'm almost 40...so I guess I'm of the old man generation and still prefer message boards to social media.

I previously owned a 2000 GT-S manual - from Dec. 2007 until July of 2021. 89k miles till about 216k miles. Nothing but regular maintenance or modifications. Well, it did need the timing cover gasket done for the last 6 years or so and I procrastinated since it leaked less than 1/2 quart over 3.5k mile synthetic oil changes. But the winters were taking their toll on the subframe/body and I didn't feel it was worth trying to restore and wound up trading it in on a 2006 Scion xA (automatic), with plans to purchase a different "fun" car down the road. Initially I had planned to get an st165 All-Trac like one I had owned 2003-2005, but that did not work out.

A little over a week ago I wound up purchasing a 2002 GT-S manual. It has 197k on it, and has a few issues; but it was previously from North Carolina & Florida and has a very clean underbody/body compared to my last GT-S.

It's riding on BC Racing coilovers...that are lower than I would prefer (3" drop) but seem to be pretty unwilling to adjust. It has a TRD exhaust, which I had always wanted for my 2000, so that was a bonus for me. I just removed the short shifter the PO had installed...the shifting was definitely harder than my '00 was even though I also had a short shifter...and put an OEM shifter back in. Goes through the gears much better now...even if the lever is a bit high. I'd rather be able to shift than have it sit low.

The worst issue with the car is that it pops out of 6th gear. Most of my driving will be in town, but I'll probably eventually just take it up to MWR and have them fix it.

It also has a little bit of hesitation/stutter from ~2k-3k rpm. I'm hoping a MAF sensor cleaning will help with this, but haven't done it yet.

Anyway, it's nice to be driving a Celica again after a few months with only the xA with it's 4 speed automatic :sick:. The plan is to keep the Celica garaged during winter so it can stay rust free. Mostly just a "fun" nice weather car, and work on the things it needs over time. Image below is from the marketplace listing. I haven't taken any new pictures yet.

Reactions: 2way

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,689 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts