NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Toyota Celica 7th Gen, 190BHP, 2001. This was after my last Celica (99, 140BHP) failed MOT on emissions and had an engine fault with burning oil.

I checked everything as best I could, left no stone unturned before buying, but still I've managed to find an issue! I paid for the car, had it two days and now I've found that there's a leak.

Had quite a bit of rain today and discovered the leak when I felt a drip on my head. The rim of the sun roof on the interior was rather wet. So annoyed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Check drip trays which may be visible enough with the moonroof open from outside the car. If not, you may need to unscrew the 4 screws (2 on each side) and pop out the panel from above to gain access.

If there is any debris in there clean it out. If not, try pouring hot water with some dish soap in it slowly into the drip rail and check if soapy water is draining out each wheel well.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
Yep, the drip rails, drip rail drains, and drip rail drain tubes all can become blocked by debris. 99% of the time that's the issue when it's leaking from on high like that, just be careful if you try to poke anything down the drain tubes that you don't accidentally knock them off the sunroof assembly, then you'll get water collecting down lower in the car.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Check the sunroof panel drains themselves. With age the rubber seal around the panel lets water seep into the frame under the glass and usually collects inside the leading edge of the frame and drips from the plastic clips unto the headliner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey... your exactly right in my case! Leaking from the plastic clips in the aluminium frame on the front of the removable panel itself after heavy rain ✔
(I have had blocked tubes and tubes pop off the outer rail drain which ends up under the carpet of whichever sides popped off.. thats fixed now.)
But can you explain where the drain is on the actual panel and how to fix it?. There is little holes (left and right) on the rubber seal but look like breather holes as there not on the bottom of seal, rather half way up so assuming its not them..this is doing my head in.. once water is in the panel itself there seems to be no drain to get it back into the outer chenel where the four drain hoses are set up..🤔😱 thankyou to anyone who can shed light on this orproved pics etc..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey... your exactly right in my case! Leaking from the plastic clips in the aluminium frame on the front of the removable panel itself after heavy rain ✔
(I have had blocked tubes and tubes pop off the outer rail drain which ends up under the carpet of whichever sides popped off.. thats fixed now.)
But can you explain where the drain is on the actual panel and how to fix it?. There is little holes (left and right) on the rubber seal but look like breather holes as there not on the bottom of seal, rather half way up so assuming its not them..this is doing my head in.. once water is in the panel itself there seems to be no drain to get it back into the outer chenel where the four drain hoses are set up..🤔😱 thankyou to anyone who can shed light on this show pics etc..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the sunroof panel drains themselves. With age the rubber seal around the panel lets water seep into the frame under the glass and usually collects inside the leading edge of the frame and drips from the plastic clips unto the headliner.
Hi everyone,

Can someone please post a picture of where the sunroof drain holes are located? Mine is a 2003. One other person and I spent an hour trying to find those drain holes - no luck! My issue is a wet driver's side seat belt and everyone (mechanics) I've spoken to over the phone say to clean the sunroof drain holes. I would love to do that but cannot locate them.

Any help with a picture or diagram is much appreciated!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
The front ones are easy to sport by removing the A-pillar plastic trims and following the hose up. For the two rear ones you need to remove the headliner and quarter window plastic panel. You can try by disconnecting the hoses and poking the drain tubes with a nail or similar object. In my experience however the best way is to remove the whole sunroof frame and work on it outside the car. The reason I say this because the biggest culprit of clogged drains (and stuck sunroofs) is rust flakes from the plastic or glass panel frame itself that eventually wedge themselves where the shouldn't. Once you have the whole thing out you can better clean and check for rust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The front ones are easy to sport by removing the A-pillar plastic trims and following the hose up. For the two rear ones you need to remove the headliner and quarter window plastic panel. You can try by disconnecting the hoses and poking the drain tubes with a nail or similar object. In my experience however the best way is to remove the whole sunroof frame and work on it outside the car. The reason I say this because the biggest culprit of clogged drains (and stuck sunroofs) is rust flakes from the plastic or glass panel frame itself that eventually wedge themselves where the shouldn't. Once you have the whole thing out you can better clean and check for rust.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I had not heard that there were also two rear drains. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with this. Unfortunately I don't have a garage or dry place to do this and am concerned I might do more damage than good in removing the entire sunroof frame, headliner, etc., especially since this is my daily driver. I was under the impression that it was much easier than that to clean the drains. Thanks again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was shooting a vid on this back in 2018 for this thread but never got around to editing it. Here is a link to one of those unedited/unfinished clips that may or may not be helpful.

(just uploaded, it may take 1-24hr until youtube allows you to select the 1080p quality option)

youtube link sunroof

My interior is still not installed, if you need any specific shots just lemme know and I can grab some pics when I get time.

P.S. Maybe not useful to you but also attached sunroof.pdf which outlines useful info on our moonroof, have to sort through it as it also includes other models as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this great info!

Based on my leak (wet driver's side seatbelt) , I'm thinking the rear drain tube connection on the driver's side may have come loose. Do you know of any special tricks to pull the column cover and/or headliner loose in that area without damaging them? Are there clips/screws?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just followed the service manual's steps for removing the interior trim because my goal was to get it all out and check some other areas for water damage/cleaning. The SM steps are ordered to where the headliner is one of the last pieces to remove, maybe there is a different way of doing it though. Perhaps google "newcelica headliner remove" or "removal" etc and browse old threads for ideas.

Another option: with the moon roof removed via 4 torx (use the proper bit) screws you'll be able to clean out the pans, inspect the components to see if it's actually just the more likely rust flakes or damaged moonroof frame causing the leak etc. You may be able to see the hose from there but I I forget. If not then you could use a $10 cellphone endoscope from amazon (search amazon string "cell phone endoscope" and sort by low to high to find the $10-12 one) connected to your cellphone to route it down the pan and check if the hose is attached.

One note for the headliner is the round plastic clips on it over the back seat area: mine were quite brittle and a bitch to remove but that was probably because I lacked the proper tool back then. Harbfreight sells a nylon trim removal kit for less than $20 w/ 20% coupon but double check if that has the proper pry bar in it. Otherwise it may be wise to buy some replacement round clips just incase they crack or crumble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a pdf of the service manual (Vols 1 & 2) but it's not searchable - makes it hard to find things.

I did manage to remove the sunroof glass with a torx bit, but still was unable (from the outside) to locate the drain holes where the hoses attach. Its was pretty clean, didn't notice any rust or debris really. I don't use the sunroof much.

Thanks for the other suggestions - I'll definitely check out the endoscope.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No prob let us know how it goes.

Here is link to headliner removal, #5 seems ok but I forget.

The cheap endoscopes are low resolution but it has performed well enough to get the job done on rough inspection work.

It may be more wise to just pull the headliner though in your case since you inspected it top side. Did you try pouring some warm soapy water into the drip pan to see if it drains? Maybe the tube is just plugged up, causing the drip pan to overflow.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
When I did mine I got away with just moving the trim panel a little out of the way to reach the rear drains. Once you remove the clothes hanger hook the panel can be unclipped and bent slightly inward. Don't go too crazy on it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No prob let us know how it goes.

Here is link to headliner removal, #5 seems ok but I forget.

The cheap endoscopes are low resolution but it has performed well enough to get the job done on rough inspection work.

It may be more wise to just pull the headliner though in your case since you inspected it top side. Did you try pouring some warm soapy water into the drip pan to see if it drains? Maybe the tube is just plugged up, causing the drip pan to overflow.
I realized I didn't answer your question about soapy water. Which of the many parts in the sunroof is the drip pan? Is that the bright aluminum channel with a notch cut out, and a black foam center? If you happen to have a pic showing where to pour the water that would awesome.

Otherwise I did pour soapy water into the sunroof "cavity" on the front driver's side, and water leaked into the headliner, just behind the top of the pillar trim. But that area doesn't get wet during a rain, so I brushed that off as just being my ignorance. ha . And the driver's side seat belt assembly is much further back from there, and that's what does get wet during a rain.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are two black plastic trays on L & R sides. Each tray has 2 nipples on it that the hoses connect to. There are two metal black channels Front & rear that are slightly above the plastic trays, the metal trays have a slot in them that allow water to drip down into the plastic trays.

I went on ebay and typed "celica sunroof assembly" then clicked the "Filter" button and selected "Show sold items" then clicked thru a couple listings to get some pics for examples, attached below.

The battery is out of my celica atm so can't open the roof but i'm pretty sure these pics will be good enough. If not, take a pic of your opened sunroof front/rear & L/R.

Might as well even do what GSBoek mentioned too, sounds quite easy, just to be thorough.

((hosted pics at imgur too just incase the attached pics here get downsized:

hosted pics link ))

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Oh cool, that's a great way to find it - never thought about looking on ebay. I'll check them out and give it a test. I tried what GSBoek suggested and was able to see the rear driver's side tube.

I also tried the endoscope for < $10 on Amazon. It's a pretty cool too to have for specific applications but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for unfortunately.

Thanks again -

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oops, maybe I had poor context: I was only mentioning where I found the photos that I drew on & attached to my last post ((can you see them? or too low res? Not sure if the forum downsizes pics to potato quality.))

I may have misread your post but i'm not suggesting you buy a used assembly to fix your problem.

Also my highlighting in the pic isn't tight and includes some of the silver aluminium frame, the silver frame is for support/rails and isnt part of the drip tray, just the black parts that are highlighted are the tray(s).

You could see that the driver side rear tube was attached at the nip w/ clamp? Boek's suggestion should allow to get a clear view at the whole assembly and the connections, no?

P.s. you can just use non-soap water for this test. Hot soapy water is used as a gentle way of trying to clear a clogged hose, but we don't know if that is the problem yet. If you slowly pour the water into the pan and it doesn't drain but overflows, then you know the hose is clogged. If it drains quick from the pan but doesnt drain out the wheel wells AND your headliner/seatbelt gets wet then ya know the hose isnt attached properly at the nipple.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts