NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought a backup camera for my sons' 2006 Eclipse and I just finished installing it in his car.

The 4th GEN Eclipse is notorious for terrible rear visibility and the 7th GEN Celica isn't great either. This camera works pretty darn good in his Eclipse, so I'm thinking I may install one in my 2001 Celica GT.

The installation in my sons' 2006 Eclipse was a pain. I fished it through the headliner (with power as well) and around a multitude of body panels. The camera I used has a dashcam built in and the screen clips to the rear view mirror. The only pain is, it has a power cord which plugs into the acc car outlet. With my sons' car, I mounted an outlet in the trunk and fished the power cable through the headliner and it plugs in, in the trunk.

I'm sure lots of members have installed backup cameras so I'm looking for the best solution. Also, the easiest route.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,217 Posts
Your photos are yuuuuge. lol

You're probably going to be routing thru the headliner with the Celica as well. The license plate being on the hatch means you will feed at the top corner of the hatch. Having to go to the mirror, the headliner will definitely be the shortest route. I'm not a fan of them only providing power via a cig plug. But, you can easily add a hidden ACC/lighter outlet or inline somewhere behind the dash or console.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your photos are yuuuuge. lol

You're probably going to be routing thru the headliner with the Celica as well. The license plate being on the hatch means you will feed at the top corner of the hatch. Having to go to the mirror, the headliner will definitely be the shortest route. I'm not a fan of them only providing power via a cig plug. But, you can easily add a hidden ACC/lighter outlet or inline somewhere behind the dash or console.
I don't know what happened with the PIC!!

oh well! What you suggested, is what I did with my sons' car, with the exception of the plate on the hatch. Have you done this in a Celica? How much of a pain is it fishing the hatch? Any hints/ shortcuts you can share?

Thanks for the quick response!

·
15,217 Posts
I don't know what happened with the PIC!!
All the pics in your gallery are large/oversized.
Have you done this in a Celica?
Personally, no.
How much of a pain is it fishing the hatch?
Probably not too bad. Can probably be done with a straightened metal coat hanger to fish it. Will also help with fishing to the mirror.
Any hints/ shortcuts you can share?
Don't try to get power from the DOME light or moonroof system.

poleclimber63=Lineman? BCHydro?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All the pics in your gallery are large/oversized. yup. not totally sure why.

Personally, no.

Probably not too bad. Can probably be done with a straightened metal coat hanger to fish it.

Will also help with fishing to the mirror. I used 2 coat hangers to fish my sons' car headliner!

Don't try to get power from the DOME light or moonroof system. I had a time with my sons' car, as all the illumination was connected to the cabin ECM!

poleclimber63=Lineman? BCHydro?
I was a telecom installation and Repair tech for almost 10 years. Decided my best pole climbing years were behind me so I now work as a Telecom Engineering Technologist. I basically design aerial and underground structures for cable infrastructure--- fibre and copper cable.

Thanks for your quick response!

·
15,217 Posts
I was a telecom installation and Repair tech for almost 10 years. Decided my best pole climbing years were behind me so I now work as a Telecom Engineering Technologist. I basically design aerial and underground structures for cable infrastructure--- fibre and copper cable.
:thumbup: I was in utility telecom as well. Radio, microwave, fiber, SCADA, metering, etc., etc., etc. ;)

If you figure out how to make your pics smaller, feel free to post up the install. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have some home repairs to do the Wife tells me, so when I do this job in the Spring, when the weather is warmer, I'll definitely start a thread on the install. Now I just have to figure out why my pics are so frickin' big...

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts