NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2000 Celica GT
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 00 GT, and unfortunately I am stuck with the nasty Drums and Shoes for the rear brakes. I want to convert them to Disc & caliper mostly for cosmetic purposes seeing as the fronts do 60% of the stopping work anyway. But, I was wondering -
- All I need is the Caliper, Caliper mounting, Rotor, and eBrake cables, correct?
- Is the only kit out there from SSBC? Cause their kit is $644. Not worth it.
- Does anyone have a leftover kit I can purchase?
Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Expect to spend $300-$400 shipped on the forums

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
The easiest thing to go is to get the entire GT-S rear knuckle assembly with the e-brake cables intact. That way it's just three bolts on each side and attaching the cables which requires moving the midpipe a little if I remember correctly. Cost me 250 from the junkyard.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
It may be that 60% of the braking is done in the front, but the difference from drum to rear disc is very very large when it comes to how the car actually feels when stopping.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Disc brakes actuate much faster because the pad rides many times closer to the disc than shoes ride to the drum surface. Because of this, when you apply the pedal the brakes engage faster and feel higher and firmer than with rear drum. Rear disc, while having less friction material surface area can exert a much higher pressure on the friction material to the braking surface allowing it much more holding power.

In laymens terms: It stops better and feels better while stopping better.

·
Registered
923 Posts
got ya. yeah im cruisin with drums.

one day gonna do the conversion

way more projects to get on before that
Same here man...

I hate the look of having drums in the back. The extra stopping power of discs would be nice but I don't think I really NEED it, but I really don't like how the drums look. It's not a cheap project though unless you get lucky at a junkyard...rear conversion kits go for like $350-400 in the FS section usually and then you still have to get rotors and pads and whatnot.

One day..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.