NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear main seal was leaking, and it was time for a clutch flywheel upgrade too, so I pulled the transmission.

I removed the old rear main seal, and unfortunately did not make note of how far it was inset around the crankshaft. There is a slot for it, of course, and the factory service manual instructions say to "tap" the seal in until its surface is flush with the rear main seal retainer edge (outer aluminum ring). I have an OEM seal, and I have been hitting it pretty hard, yet it doesn't seem to go in all the way. I'm concerned about damaging it, for obvious reasons. Its surface is sitting out about 2mm from being flush with the outer ring surface, uniformly.

Does anyone have experience with this, and/or could tell me whether it is where it is supposed to be or whether I need to just pound it in until it's flush with the outer ring?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I used oil on the inside section.. seemed to be indicated as the part to lube since it said to use MP grease on the "lip". Trying to figure out if I'm screwed and need to buy another seal, whether I just need to hit it harder, or whether it is where it's supposed to be.

edit: Thanks for linking those pics. It is hard to tell without a close-up from the side, but I think that's where the seal is sitting. Yours appears to protrude out beyond the surfact the outer ring, not have its surface even with the surface of the outer aluminum ring. Do you recall if that was the case... or can you tell by looking at your pictures? I just want to be sure so I don't have to pull the transmission again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm waiting on the seal in the mail so my car is outside right now. I'll go grab some shots and then edit them into this post.

Edit:
imgur.com/a/Z5OEz
It's night time so hopefully it came out decent. It's 12AM and I probably appear to be a wild meth head out there with the flash light, bonus.

I touched the seal and it felt pretty even, there was a very slight bump upwards when finger transitioned from aluminum to seal.

Try some vaseline as per suggested by Bitter in the above linked thread. I imagine it will work better than motor oil.

Lastly, check this video out as it may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCL2s-Gv_0 -- it is fantastic when muted, deals with our same transmission, seal replacement -- identical pretty much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your pictures are great. Thank you! The funny thing is, someone posted pics from a DIY on TN of a new installation which looked a lot like mine does ( http://s134.photobucket.com/user/hardtopte72/media/C59 Clutch Job DIY/IMG_1323_zps91b93bbf.jpg.html ), and yours have made me doubt again because it looks more recessed than the one in that picture.

That video is good.. I watched it a number of times in effort to get a good look, but the seal pops right in and there isn't a good shot of it after it is set.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not sure, post some pics of your situation and could offer better suggestion for you.

Prying up an edge using a piece of plastic like a plastic razor (used for tinting etc) and popping it out like that may work. Or using dental floss to pop the seal out could also work if part of the seal is unseated.

Metal pry tools could possibly gouge it, anything plastic may be your only option.

Im not too well versed on this though but its what I would try.

By the way my seal appeared to have been leaking and hasnt been replaced in my 02 GTS before. It could be my seal looks different due to damage or shrinkage etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.