NewCelica.org Forum banner

Rear Mounted turbo,s

1K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  ACE0000 
#1 ·
I just took a ride with my bosses nefew in his 2004 GTO with a built engine. He has a t-78 mounted on the rear of his car, this thing is making 850 to the rear wheels and passing SMOG. Oh yes I,ll be getting one of these, no heat problems, no manifold problems, aannddd for mild apps no intercooler needed. Check it out at STSTURBO.COM

#10 ·
#12 ·
Well; I do understand all the arguments. Some based on facts & some on personal opinions. I can see the underhood systems are the way to go if you are a street racer, as I am not, I will be going with the RTS system. All I am interested in is when I,m in traffic and I want power for whatever reason is that it is there. As far as the system goes I did ride in the car and if I am not wrong the T-78 is not as some put it "a small turbo". I work in a shop where the lead tech builds race car engines for the circle tracks, and the owner owns a circle track race car, so there is not a lack of performance knowlege. But when my car is complete I will post numbers for all to see.

#14 ·
Sky2king8 said:
Doesn't sound too smart
Since when does "Personal Car Modification" have anything to do with other people's opinion :D

#15 ·
Looks like you made up your mind, good luck on this venture.
BTW have you seen the underside of your car? Scratches rock chips and all that goodies? Don't think your pipes going to get scratched up and cause a boost leak? When it rains all that water splashing on it what does it do to your setup?

#16 ·
Yes I understand about the road debris and the scratches so I am going to use header wrap, and the rain issue took me some time to figure out (not too much rain here in Vegas though) so I am going to run the air filter up thru a hole in the spare tire area, with another hole beside it with an air scoop to keep the rear hatch area pressurized with fresh air. My 2 Fosgate amps I,m sure wont mind the cooler air and with my 2 solo barics I wont be able hear any road noise.

#24 ·
You put a turbo on a large displacement motor and good things happen. Put a bigger one up closer and much better things happen.

Anyways no, its not a waste on a car where there isn't room for a turbo close to the engine, however the Celica is not such a car.

#25 ·
Pulsar1 said:
Well if it works for Porsche.
Almost all of Porsche's cars are mid-engine...having a turbo in the rear of the car with a mid-engine is basically the same as having a front mounted turbo in a front-engine car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.