NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm getting the TRD Big Brake kit for my fronts, and am looking to get some new rear rotors for the backs. I'm powdercoating the stock calipers to match the TRD Big Brake Kit calipers red color. To match the TRD rotors, I want to get silver colored (meaning not gold colored like AEM) rotors for the rear. I really don't know much about rotors in regard to slotted, drilled, or both, but I want the best or close to it in performance. What are you guys thinking I should look into getting?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
800 Posts
Check out Rotora slotted rotors

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The best ones for performance are probably the ones on their right now. ust get a new set that looks nice (assuming yours are all rusty looking on the hats like mine are).

Scott

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really autxr? Why do you say that? I would think that slotted or drilled ones are better....after all, TRD Big Brake rotors are slotted which is different than stock. And I would not assume that at least with this part, TRD would put out a $1900 kit that is just as good as the stock rotors. Anyways, I really have no idea as to slotted vs. drilled. Which is best or is it best to get a rotor with both?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
For the most part slotting and drilling just look fast, there is very little to be gained with such antics. Buying the proper brake pads makes a much larger real world difference in braking.

That (pads) and a set of sticky tires.

TRD sells more things for looks than performance. If you order it out of the TRD catalog, tehn you don't have the proper connections with TRD, they do support racers, but not with things from the mailorder catalog...

That being said, it is important to match the rear brakes to the front brakes, somehwere there is a Sport Compact car test of brakes on a Celica (or Matrix?) that helps clear some things up. It was posted here not long ago. Basically, the big brakes didn't stop appreciably better than stock. Mostly, they just ran cooler.

Read it yourself here:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0212scc_promatrix/

Scott

·
Registered
839 Posts
I beleive there is still some benefit to be gained using slotted/cross-drilled rotors if your are to use them with oem or organic pads. Reason being these pads tend to emit gas and glaze when used beyond their operating range. Down side, slotted/cross-drilled rotors are very unsafe and is hardly used in racing since they are prone to stress cracks.

Using carbon or metalic pads with slotted/drilled-rotors is a waste of money since these pads can withstand extreme heat without glazing. The use of slotted/cross-drilled pads became less common with the introduction of better compound pads

I'm currently using a set of Brembo slotted and cross-drilled rotors for the front a friend gave me. There are multiple stress cracks stemming from the slots and holes. This is just from two HPDE events. This is something that probably would never happen if used for daily driving. But, since put a lot of stress on my brakes, I would never purchase a set of slotted/cross-drilled rotors.

IMO,

For show (if you want to win shiny no go thropies)- go ahead and get them. They look fast.

For performance- stay away from them like a plague

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Do your self a favor and don't buy the TRD big brake kit. But it from www.stoptech.com They make the kit for TRD mine even came with TRD instructions. I have the red powder coated front calibers and slotted rotors, the kit cost me $1,480.00. I'm running Rotora rear slotted rotors from Dave Draper and went for only $40.00. Car stops on a dime, great brake combination set-up.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow...thanks alot guys. Autxr, I hope you didn't feel like I was questioning your authority to make the statement you did. You have definitely cleared up alot of questions I've had, plus, I never knew that slotted/drilled rotors were mostly for show, did not add remarkable performance and could even be dangerous! This will probably save me alot of $.
On that note, what are some high performance rotors that are not slotted/drilled that you would recommend? My stock ones are kinda rusty.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey,
I just looked at the PowerStop website (http://www.powerstop.co.uk/) under the "Other Parts" section, and they have Turbo Groove Brake disks which are advertised as having the following:

"Blind degassing holes reduce chance of stress cracks, common with through drilling."

Would this possibly fix the problem of slotting/drilling that all of you have attested to above? I really don't care about getting slotted/drilled vs. solid....just want to change my rotors. I'll probably just go w/ the info Jersey Jay gave about Stoptech. They look nice AND will save me a load of cash that I will already be out for the TRD Sports T2 wheels ($569 each).

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found out the definitive answer to slotted vs. cross drilled. autxr was partly right. At least in terms of cross drilled. I contacted all the high end brake companies (Brembo, Rotora, PowerSlot, and StopTech) and they all told me the same thing. Like autxr said, cross drilled is mainly for looks and under high performance WILL have stress cracks. However, slotted rotors are even better quality than solid disk rotors (like OEM). They are not prone to stress cracks and are found on the HIGHEST end brake systems from all of the above companies. Check this info out from Power Slot for example: http://www.powerslot.com/platm.html

I'm going with Rotora Big Brake Kit from WCT's GP and I just ordered custom made SLOTTED ONLY front rotors from Rotora. I'm swapping them with the slotted and cross drilled ones that come now with Rotora's Big Brake Kit, and they aren't charging me anymore. As for rear rotors, I went with Rotora as well since they are already SLOTTED ONLY. I'm going to powdercoat my rear calipers red to match my red Rotora ones. Anyways, just thought this was good information.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Jersey Jay said:
Do your self a favor and don't buy the TRD big brake kit. But it from www.stoptech.com They make the kit for TRD mine even came with TRD instructions. I have the red powder coated front calibers and slotted rotors, the kit cost me $1,480.00.
You must have worked quite a deal, they list for $2195.00 on their site. That is more expensive than TRD sells them for.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Jersey Jay said:
Do your self a favor and don't buy the TRD big brake kit. But it from www.stoptech.com They make the kit for TRD mine even came with TRD instructions. I have the red powder coated front calibers and slotted rotors, the kit cost me $1,480.00. I'm running Rotora rear slotted rotors from Dave Draper and went for only $40.00. Car stops on a dime, great brake combination set-up.
where did you get them fo 1480???? please pm me if you don't want to post it (or can't post it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts