NewCelica.org Forum banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I used JB Weld and put metal plates over all the holes in my trunk today. Hopefully later this week I can use Bondo to fill them in.

Before: I wasnt kidding about how many holes were drilled.

After:

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Damn, somebody got crazy with a drill on that hatch. :eek:mg: I'm glad you were clever enough to use the metal plates on the bottom. This is a pretty standard permanent way to do the hatch holes, I have seen a lot of guys do it the same way.

You should shave the wiper too while you are at it, it looks so much cleaner wingless and wiperless in the rear. Besides, the wiper really isn't necessary... and I would know, living in one of the rainiest states in the country. :chuckles:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I did not put some glass fiber tape in with it, how would that help? I was following the guide created by lilmexicanoboi.

Yeah I thought about the wiper but I actually use it a decent amount and don't think I am ready to part with it.

Bondo later and then I got a heat gun so I can start removing the GTS and toyota emblems.

THen I will need to order the 3M wrap.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Fiberglass tape is sometimes used on repairs like this, but it is more necessary for rusted out holes etc. As long as you roughed up the underside of the hatch and the metal plates well with sandpaper or a grinder before bonding with JB weld, it will definitely hold fine. Then I assume you used a bit more weld in the holes on top to seal it up.

Gio (Lilmex) is a buddy of mine from when I was living down in SoCal, and his work always lasted just fine.

You'll be sorry later, the wiper looks cumbersome as hell without a wing on. PA isn't that bad on rain either, I used to live there. There is no way you need a rear wiper more than anyone in the Pacific NW either, and I don't really need it. I use Rain X on my glass and the water just sheds off instantly like from a waxed body. But if you want it, its up to you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Sorry for not getting pictures up faster. Here is what the trunk looks after I filled the holes in using Bondo.

It was pretty miserable sanding everything down again. I accidentally got down to the metal a place or two but since I will be wrapping the trunk it doesn't bother me too much.

We had an unseasonably warm day today so I was able to remove the decals. Heat gun for about 20 seconds and dental floss got it right off.

I then used Goof Off to remove the rest of the residue. This was the easiest part of the project so far.

I also got the BB lip spoiler and am waiting for the 3M wrap to arrive so that I can wrap the trunk.

It looks like removing the hatch handle may be difficult yet as well but I will wait to do that until I can wrap the same day.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Yeah, removing the emblems isn't a big deal. Removing the hatch handle is easy too, you'll see.

But let me emphasize that you should NOT try to wrap the hatch outside. Do it in a garage, because if any debris (no matter how small) falls under the film it will be a bitch to get it all out, and it will show if you leave it under the film.

Also, do NOT wrap when it is too cold. The material doesn't like cold, or extreme heat/cold changes while being applied. It won't stretch right, and may very well tear under such circumstances.

Do not underestimate wrapping the bottom of the hatch, it has a lot more compound curves than you think, and wrinkling will occur while wrapping. The heat gun and your felt wrapped squeegee will be your best friends while working out all the wrinkles, puckers and air-traps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thank you. I have a felt squeegee and the wrap. Possibly this weekend it will be warm enough to wrap the hatch.

Any final tips? I will wash it real good and get off any wax so that the wrap will bond tightly. I will use a heat gun to try and get it around the contours.

Did you remove the black strip against the back window first? If so, how did you do that and could you put it back again? Is it glued in there?

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Be sure to refer to all the info I previously listed here regarding wrapping... especially the part about having an assistant. Aside from all that, the only things I would add is that after washing & drying it isn't a bad idea to wipe down all surfaces with some iso alcohol to be sure the adhesive sticks well and all residue is removed. Also, only peel the backing off the portion you are working with rather than the whole piece, or it will try to grab everything.

As for the weather stripping, you can't remove that without taking out the window glass since it will destroy the molding. But it doesn't matter since all you need to do is after you are done wrapping, cut the final edge with an excess of about 1/2" and slide a credit card (or something similar) between the molding and the metal, prying it away just enough to tuck the wrap edge underneath with your squeegee.

The most important factor of all is PATIENCE! Take your time and do not rush or get frustrated, it can be a little tricky for some who haven't done it before.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
So what is your plan now for the front? I noticed in a sale thread you were inquiring about a 2000 oem bumper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Yeah...I didn't see that it was 2000 until after I asked. That wouldn't fit my car. Nothing concrete with the front yet but I am thinking more and more about trying to find a stock bumper and adding a C1 style lip. Since I am moving away from the aggressive look my bumper is starting to look more and distasteful to me. I think the C1 style looks the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Celica-2003-2005-C1-Style-Urethane-Front-Bumper-Lip-Spoiler-Bodykit-/181033504692?hash=item2a26700fb4:g:ZlQAAOSwKfVXELOK&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FITS-03-05-TOYOTA-CELICA-FRONT-BUMPER-LIP-JDM-C1-STYLE-URETHANE-PU-BODY-KIT-/331869743273?hash=item4d44fa68a9:g:g78AAOSwxndXThKn&vxp=mtr

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
What? Of course a 2000 bumper will fit your car, all the mounting points are the same as any other oem front. Unless you mean you don't think it will flow with your kit. It is just a different style than what I thought you wanted, which is the 03+ oem front.

Also, you have to be kidding... the 03 front with the C-One (or C1 copy) lip is one of the most aggressive looking front setups available for this car... it is just a lot more elegant and tasteful & less overdone than the Veilside. Same goes for the sides though. If you lose the front, you will find that those sides don't flow well with much else.

If you really want less aggressive, go with a 2000-2002 oem front like the one you were asking about and use an elegante lip or something similar.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Yeah I meant that I want the 03-05 front.

I like that it is more elegant and not so long. I also dislike the "teeth" on the front as Bitter calls them.

That elegante lip is sinfully ugly, I will not be touching that.

Like I said I may not do anything with the front, but I do like the C1 lip.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
There's this rare European lip that's been up for sale for a while that looks pretty darn nice, very simple and clean.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Yeah, the Postert lip is nice, but if he doesn't want the 2000-02 front it doesn't matter. The elegante lip isn't my preference, but I would hardly call it "sinfully ugly". It was merely one of many simple lip examples. Each to their own taste.

I always though the Veilside front was sinfully ugly though. It is way too long looking and has too many shapes going on in the front.

IMO, the best lips for the 03+ front are the C-One (or C1 which is a copy of the genuine C-One motorsport lip) and the Greddy Gracer. :shrugs:

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Well the 00-02 front is the best front, so it's his loss if he doesn't want it. :rofl:

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,865 Posts
Cmon now, don't be... Bitter. :chuckles:

BTW... why no posted pics of your car man? I'd like to see it sometime.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
It's in the sig link on a different forum, too lazy to copy it all over here. It's a stock black 00 GTS with a mild drop and a few exterior accents, nothing too much to gawk at.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It's in the sig link on a different forum, too lazy to copy it all over here. It's a stock black 00 GTS with a mild drop and a few exterior accents, nothing too much to gawk at.
And it's sloooooooowwww...

141 - 160 of 189 Posts