NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. i just bought some drilled/slotted rotors and thought that i might as well paint my calipers while im installing it. I cant decied if i should paint it red or sliver. I have a Sliver GTS on stock rims. Id take a picture but its late and too dark. The only thing thats red on my car is the tails, GTS badge, and the trunk decal. Is red calipers a sporty thing? Should i just go with the clean look and paint it sliver? I just need some opinons. I really cant decied, they both look for the car. RED or SLIVER. Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
red eventually turns orange...i suggeset flat or glossy black. but since your options are only red or silver, i'd pick silver to go with the stock rims

·
Registered
13,310 Posts
Originally posted by 1zzVVT-i
red eventually turns orange...i suggeset flat or glossy black. but since your options are only red or silver, i'd pick silver to go with the stock rims
If you are spraying/brushing anything on the calipers that turns orange from red, its the wrong product. Red is a common color for aftermarket brake calipers. Either works.

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
Originally posted by WillyWonka
If you are spraying/brushing anything on the calipers that turns orange from red, its the wrong product. Red is a common color for aftermarket brake calipers. Either works.
Agreed. I used some B2 caliper paint kit. It was red when I put it on and it's still red, years later.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
red stands out more. I painted mine silver. Depends on what youre going for...they are kind of opposite choices. W/ the silver car, I like silver, but you're the one driving it.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by CeliKill180
or u could get aftermarket calipers instead of going for knockoffs
when i got left over money to afford them i will.

Originally posted by blkcelica01
gloss black looks best in my opinion.

how did you gloss it? Is it the paint itself that leaves a gloss? What kind of paint did you use.
Hey, thanks for the opinions guys...there are some small desicions that sometimes one cant decied without some help.
I decied im going to paint them black cause i think i will go a lot smoother with my exterior.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
well I used Dupli-Color engine enamel "gloss black" spray paint.
I covered up areas where I didn't want to get overspray on with masking tape and newspaper. I cleaned the calipers with wheel cleaner and sprayed about 3 coats waiting about 30 minutes in between each coat. I did apply some Dupli-color engine enamel "clearcoat" after the gloss black but it probably wasn't necessary. I painted them about 18 months ago and they still look just as good as when I painted them.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
blkcelica01 said:
well I used Dupli-Color engine enamel "gloss black" spray paint.
I covered up areas where I didn't want to get overspray on with masking tape and newspaper. I cleaned the calipers with wheel cleaner and sprayed about 3 coats waiting about 30 minutes in between each coat. I did apply some Dupli-color engine enamel "clearcoat" after the gloss black but it probably wasn't necessary. I painted them about 18 months ago and they still look just as good as when I painted them.
Do you just use the tire iron and jack the car up? What can I do if I'm not strong enough to get the lug nuts off the tires...I tried to put wheel locks on the tires last week, and I couldn't get the lug nuts off. I had the calipers painted last year, but I paid someone to do it. It was at a shop so he had better equipment than elbow grease. If I can get the lug nuts off myself, I think this would be a fun saturday project...rather than have to pay someone again...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah...hopefully i find some time on Sunday to put the rotors on and paint the calipers. Maybe take me about 4 hours or so if i manage my time. Id just used a breaker bar to take off the lugs (from a hydrolyk jack or something).

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Originally posted by treeh8r
Do you just use the tire iron and jack the car up? What can I do if I'm not strong enough to get the lug nuts off the tires...I tried to put wheel locks on the tires last week, and I couldn't get the lug nuts off. I had the calipers painted last year, but I paid someone to do it. It was at a shop so he had better equipment than elbow grease. If I can get the lug nuts off myself, I think this would be a fun saturday project...rather than have to pay someone again...
really?!? u mite wanna invest in a breaker bar or mabe just a strong metal pipe n keep it in ur car. never know when u get a flat, n dont always count on roadside assitance.

as for the calipers, i have a 1D0 also n painted mine gloss red with rustoleum high heat engine enamel. that was 2 years ago but i think that as soon as they fade, i.ll go with black this time. makes the car a lil more subtle imo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts