NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on redline oil for my tranny and found a ton of threads. However, they all sound contradicting. Some say to use MT90, other say 75/90ws (I think that's right).

Time has come for me to change my oil. I was thinking about making the "upgrade" to redline since I've heard such good things about it. My questions are:

1.) What actual oil am I supposed to use? I have no limited slip and never will, I do live in a climate that gets very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer.

2.) Where can I buy it? Any websites? Local auto parts store?

3.) Is it actually worth it? My tranny has always been "difficult." And I thought this might make a slight difference.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I use the MT-90, and swear by it. Others will note that the 75W90 gear oil has a "higher" grade, but that isn't needed in our tranny anyhow... The MT-90 meets Toyota specs.

If you have a limited slip (clutch type), then you need to use something other than MT90.

Back at 12-15,000 miles I put MT90 in and noticed little if any difference. Even at 53,000 miles the car was shifting well.

But, I freshened up the MT90 this weekend, and immediately noticed the difference between the new MT90 and the 40,000 mile MT90.

Scott

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

So, the MT90 can be used with our stock transmission just fine then, correct?

And the Toyota techs who service the car won't go ape sh!t telling me I bought the wrong stuff?

Also, any idea where I may purchase this stuff? I've never seen it in any local shops around my way. And what's a good price (if you know)?

·
Registered
839 Posts
The benefit of using Redline gear oil increases at colder climates and giveeven better protection as temperature rises since they use 100% polyol ester base stocks-- the only lubricant capable of lubricating a modern jet turbine. The synthetic base oils used have a very high viscosity index which provides relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes and provides the proper coefficient of friction to allow synchronizer engagement. Most gear oils are very viscous at lower temperatures. This higher viscosity requires increased shift effort to move the synchronizer gears with the shift fork and to squeeze the oil from between the synchronizer cone and the mating surface attached to the gear. Without contact of these two surfaces, the gear speeds will not be synchronized and locking of the synchromesh gears will not occur. Excessive viscosity results in a longer time required to synchronize before locking occurs.

1:Use the grade that is recomended by Toyota. In this case, use SAE 75w-90 (gear oil API GL-4 or gl-5). Redline carries this specific oil grade.

2:Check their website www.redlineoil.com for dealer locations. Call them since they don't list all their distributors. Although they don't say, they will sell direct to consumer but I hear the price will be relatively high as they want you to purchase from their distributors

3:Yes, their will be a noticable difference. Some people even swear by their stuff. It might get rid of some grinding depending on a case by case basis. If you haven't already read through this article, it will give you a better understanding of their gear oil http://www.redlineoil.com/frames/mtlti.htm

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wait. Maybe I am starting to undestand all this now. I should get 75w90 but the MT90 product from redline?

Here is a pic

Edit: Ok, Maybe not. I just did some reading and that pic is for 75w80. I guess that MT90 is the same "product" as that but is 75w90. Correct?

In other words, I shouldn't buy this

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, I got confused a tad when I saw them too. I am concluding that the first pic is what I want...sort of. The bottle is MTL which is 75w80. I want MT90 which is 75w90...but it's the same "product line." The second pic is a different product line but the right weight that I want. It has the friction additives for an LSD and such.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah I put the second one in the pic which is 75W90NS. So am I using the wrong type of oil??? It says it is for manual transaxle and meet GL-4 and GL-5 specs that is recommended by Toyota. If anyone who can clearify this, it would be great. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Red Line MTL may be used in transmissions which recommend 70W, 75W, 80W, or 85W GL-4 gear oils, or SAE 30 or 5W/10W30 motor oils. If a 90W GL-4 or SAE 40, 10W40, or 15W40 is required, MT-90 may be used. If the transmission or transaxle requires an SAE 90 GL-5 gear oil, then Red Line 75W90NS or 75W140NS Gear Oil may be used

Either bottle will do. I will lean towards the 75w90NS since it has a GL-5 rating. The MTL is GL-4

Toyota recomends either rating and doesn't specify which is better.

ps: Now you guys are swaying me to get a few bottles myself. Unfotunately, I still have enough M1 stocked piled for 2 more fillings:(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Raymund said:
Red Line MTL may be used in transmissions which recommend 70W, 75W, 80W, or 85W GL-4 gear oils, or SAE 30 or 5W/10W30 motor oils. If a 90W GL-4 or SAE 40, 10W40, or 15W40 is required, MT-90 may be used. If the transmission or transaxle requires an SAE 90 GL-5 gear oil, then Red Line 75W90NS or 75W140NS Gear Oil may be used

Either bottle will do. I will lean towards the 75w90NS since it has a GL-5 rating. The MTL is GL-4

Toyota recomends either rating and doesn't specify which is better.

ps: Now you guys are swaying me to get a few bottles myself. Unfotunately, I still have enough M1 stocked piled for 2 more fillings:(
Thanks for detail info man. It's been really helpful.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Myself, I use the 75W90NS in the rear end of my Tundra due to the clutch type LSD. There are friction modifiers for teh LSD that I don't want in my regular tranny.

The MT90 (not pictured above) is the most correct one for a stock Celica transmission (no LSD), the MTL is a slightly lower grade.

The MT90 is NOT GL-5, it is just GL-4, but it doesn't need to be GL5...

I doubt you will go wrong with either one.

Scott

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
just stick to what the manual say, 75W90 which is the MT90. From my understanding is that transmission oil unlike motor oil use only one or the other number in the weight so its either 75W or 90W and never in-between. I first got the MTL as in the first picture but then I read that its way too thin (75W80) so I went back and order the MT90. The bottle will say MT90 on it. After putting these in, oh man it shifts sooo smoothly. I love it. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
aznleo28 said:
so i have a the trd clutch type lsd. Im am using the 75w90 with the friction modifier for the lsd. Is that right?
That is probably what I would use, it's kind of a comprimise since the things that the LSD likes are not quite the same things the synchronizers like.

I'd actually email redline and ask them (or Cusco, I doubt you will get a reply from TRD)...

Scott

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
well theres also amsoil you guys. ive used both and i can honestly say that it makes a difference using those products other than the natural gear oil. i use amsoil series 2000 75w-90 sythentic gear lube.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts