NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do wayyy too much driving, and the road noise on my GT-S is just about to kill me. I went to test drive a Solara today, and it's wonderfully quiet.

However, I don't want to give my baby up. I'm not looking for something for the stereo necessarily, just to reduce the road noise to a decently tolerable level. Please make some suggestions for me(in detail, since I'm going to make the changes in the next few days), as I want to keep my Celica! :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
you double posted :) you may want to delete one of them

is your car lowered...cause that could cause more road noice but i dont know anything that could reduce it....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thanks :) Must have hit submit twice, internet was a little slow here.

No, the car is basically stock. Maybe I'm just getting old, haha. But I've gotta find some good way to get the noise down.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
just had to warn ya bout the double post before someone jumped all over ya :) .....i think your kinda SOL on the noice unless someone has figured out something i havnt heard about...turn up the music....:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
You could use Dynomat..the stuff they use to insulate the interior ( inside body panels ) of your car to deaden the outside noise and rattle. I don't think that stuff is cheap though. Most of the road noise I think comes from our doors..I don't think there is much insulation between the panels on either side of the doors. You could ask someone who has taken the door panels ( inside ) out and ask if there were any insulation.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Try using the Dynamat spray instead of the actual dynamat since you don't already have a system and it's really cheap...like 12 bucks.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
change your tires to something with smaller tread blocks. i know 205/50 16 is a hard size to come by but if your willing, you could try 205/55.

otherwise, just slow down.

·
Registered
635 Posts
TaeMachine said:
change your tires to something with smaller tread blocks. i know 205/50 16 is a hard size to come by but if your willing, you could try 205/55.
I agree. The fatter the tire, the less noise and vibration it picks up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I may try the Dynamat. I'm currently running 205/50's, they may be contributing to it :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
If weight is not a concern, try some brown bread.
http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

It's a bit cheaper than dynomat. I used half a roll in my trunk an doors. The truck made a big difference, my stock exhaust is barely audible. The doors didn't make as much difference in road noise. They do go whump when I shut them now, and they feel heavier.

I think most of the celica's road noise comes from the floor pan, and wheel wells.

If weight is in issue, I'd start by putting undercoating in the wheel wells. That's where the noise starts after all.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Yes like everyone said, you can either dynomat, change tire size, tire brand/model. You can also dynomat the plastic behind your wheel wheels your hood.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts