NewCelica.org Forum banner

Removing drive shafts? Tranny?

705 Views 28 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  SickCelica696
I'm almost done dropping my tranny using the repair manual's directions, I can't seem to remove the drive shafts easily. Whats the best way to approach this? Do I really need any of the SST's?
1 - 13 of 29 Posts
Archer2KGTS said:
No, you shouldn't need any of the SSTs. The passenger side one pulled out quite easily.

The drivers side on the other hand, was a b.tch. I pried (SOFTLY) around the metal ring on the shaft right before the tranny to loosen it up. After doing that, you should be able to give it a couple good tugs and it should come out.
How did you remove them? Did you undo the end bolt and the steering linkage and all that? I'm trying to shortcut that if I can and just pull them
Yea I hoped I didn't have too.. Oh well back to the lab..
Yea I think my impact gun is giving out.. I need to get that first
What size is the axle hub nut? Also how are you dropping the tie rod ends out? I tried the hammer but they don't budge downward
...Thats what we're doing.. undoing the one axle bolt and the 3 on the bottom.
36? I put a 27 on there and it almost fit. I need to know exactly cause im buying it tomarrow
WHITEKNIGHT2000 said:
whatever method you use to get the tie rod off, just dont f'up the rubber boot, ITS REALLY EASY TO RIP IT!!.
Already did. Grease everywhere.
Archer2KGTS said:
SickCelica696 said:
What size is the axle hub nut? Also how are you dropping the tie rod ends out? I tried the hammer but they don't budge downward
My hub bolt was a 30mm 12pt socket. Impact wrench for the win! :)

The tie rod ends were a b.tch. That's why I was saying use a long ass pry bar. You sort of need to wedge it and get it on top of the bar. It will come off, it just takes He-Man to do it.
Thats what I figured. I have a 28mm and it was just a hair too small.
I just pulled it out a little. I can fix it easy. I could just get the tie rod seperator from my shop but I'm working at home now.. my 36" prybar should take care of it though
Ok I cannot get the tie rod end out to save my life.. even with my huge brother helping. What is the best way beside me going and getting the SST from toyo?

Oh yea $400 later and 10s of work I got the axle nuts off real quick.

See less See more
Archer2KGTS said:
Did you try pulling/pushing with a pry bar and then someone hitting it with a mallet at the same time?

Nice buy on the compresser and impact wrench. They will come in handy.
I got the tie rods out and passenger axle, all thats left is drivers axle and im done
Boosted2.0 said:
You don;t need to remove the tie rod ends - just unbolt the lower control arm from the hub assebly - use the hub to help pop the axle out of teh trans (the drivers side - the pass side comes out easy when you unbolt the center carrier) and once its out of the trans just put the bolt back on the end to cover the threads and tap the axles out of the hub with a hammer.
I took care of that easily once I figured it out. Right now im just working on pulling the drivers shaft. I dont wanna damage it. I pulled off the snap ring as well and I'm not sure if that was supposed to come off or not..
Oh i just got it. I think my problem was i was just tugging on it. I pushed it in then snapped it back real quick and it popped out instantly. It's funny (not really) when you spend hours doing stupid crap to get something out and then you come back and do it in a couple min...
1 - 13 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.