NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im trying to remove my sway bar end links to install the new sway bar but it seems like its a littile rusted or maybe i just dont know how to take it off??

so any tips on how to take them off?

do i use the hex first then remove the nut or can i just remove the nut?!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
lots of heat and PB blaster, you may destroy your endlinks and rip the boot but what I did was vice grips and the wrench. I have new endlinks if you want to buy them from me $20.00. Might as well change them because I know your going to destroy them if they are really rusted.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You need an wrench and a hex key. You put the wrench around the nut and then the hex key inside. You hold the hex key still while you unloosen the nut.

If they're rusted to crap this maybe harder

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I can do it today. I got a class till 3. So give me a call. or PM you number so we can do this. Also I have a set of front AGX struts for sale too. Ill let you have them for a good price and Ill help you install. PM me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny, just did this on my wife's 2000 Corolla.

Same basic idea to taking them out, but I hope you have an easier time than me. They were rusted solid, and no possible way to hold the hex wrench well enough to get it loosened (I'd say it took well over 100 lb/ft of torque...against a tiny allen wrench?? not happening). Wound up starting to round out the hex bolt, and just decided since the end links were already crap (which is why I was removing them) I just used a Vise-Grip on them. Still not easy, had to work very hard to ever get a good enough bite on the bolt to get the nuts off. But...a few hours, some sweat, blood & a few breaks and they are both replaced. Just finished actually. But, no more clunking from the front end!

That being said, since you are removing to put in a new sway bar, you don't likely want to destroy your end links. So, I hope for your sake those stupid hex bolts aren't too rusty!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was rust on the nut they were like frozen I'll put up some pics

The second one was the bottom half we cut off

Then we got the sway bar installed
Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so i dont want to start a new thread but i need a front sway bar endlink one of them is still good but the other one the hex stripped inside. so each endlink is $50 from my local auto parts store.

here is the question they have some on rock auto for like 13 bucks? and some few other ones. i just need one front one any advice ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well its not that they are bad its that when. I took it off I held the hex the wrong way and stripped it? Are the 13 doller rock auto ones reliable?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what would be the significant difference in price quality or just name brand or something?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
For the most part they're all the same. Nylon socket with a polished carbon steel ball.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts