NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my Celica from a big Honda dealer in AZ and I've been in and out of the shop for about 3 weeks now. To make it short, Honda and Toyota have done repairs on the car and the CEL keeps coming back. What I would like to know is if lower octane fuel such as 87 and 89 would cause my CEL to show up? I know it's bad to use low octane fuel on high compression engines but I've been using 89 and higher fuel. The CEL goes away for a few days and then comes back. Please help me out guys I could end up with either a lemon or a court case in a few weeks over this car. I just want the issue resolved

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way the car is running fine except for that stupid light

·
Work In Progress...
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0440 they replaced the evap lines and I believe a valve of some sort. The canister was mentioned by the Toyota guy but I don't think it was replaced. It sucks because I can't enjoy my car

·
Registered
757 Posts
^^^ yea read up on that thread. As for the difference in gas, I don't think it will hurt it, but as toyota says it takes 93 (high octane) they have a good reason. Every now a then putting a little bit like topping it off, shouldn't hurt anything, but I won't fill it up from empty with 87 octane all the time.

A quote from some site:
"Toyota spec says must use 91 Octane fuel. The engine is a higher compression engine. Lower octane fuel would ignite early, causing knocking and reduce power.

Unclean burn also leaves residues in exhaust sensors, lighting up sensors' warnings. Typically the Catalytic converter sensor would warn of low cleaning efficiency.

High-octane fuel would cost may be 10% more, but you should get at least 10% higher mileage out of it. Also, Toyota engineers know what the car must run on. If it could run on cheaper fuel, they would already specify it in.

Every time I deviated from MFR recommendations, I got unknown problems later on. "

1 - 6 of 6 Posts