NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wanna replace my stock struts and springs with KYB AGX shocks and tanabe springs.

Some of my friend told me it's a pain in the ass to replace the stock shocks with new ones. especailly the 2 shocks on the rear....

So I just wanna know how long does it take to replace all 4 struts? If I ask the dealer or may I do it myself...

Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
it's not that bad man i did coilovers i took them off though just have a buddy there wit you for pressure no need to give a dealer all that money for nothing

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Definately do it yourself. You need a breaker bar, some wrenches, a 5mm allen wrench. a can of liquid wrench, jack and jackstands.

Everyone is right about the fronts. I did them last since everyone says do the rears because they are such a biotch. BUt again, I made a mark to line evreything up when I took the rears off, that they really fell into place. With the fronts, support the hub assembly so it doesnt fall on the ground, then have something to tie it up so it doesn't sag. I guess the axles can pop out or something I dunno. I have some tiedowns with a hook so I used that and tied it off to a little attachment under the wheelwell. I tightened the springs with the spring compressor until the tops were loose. That way I knew the spring wouldn't pop off or anything.

Here's the link I used for the disassembly:

http://newcelica.org/other/technica...als/volume2.pdf

open that and then print the following pages...

front: print pages 576, 577, 578, 581, 582

rear: print pages 605, 606, 609, 610
Gives dissassembly instructions, plus the torque values for putting it back together.

The three bolts on the A-arm are right ahead of the wheelwell, these really help in getting the rear shock out. Here's where they are...

page 615 step #5

·
Registered
373 Posts
i found that the front struts were a piece of cake to replace. the rears were not fun because i had to unbolt the rear lower control arm to get the new struts back in. def plan a full day for your car because you never know if something may not go as planned

1 - 6 of 6 Posts