NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have a good write up on how to do this. I don't nessisarily want to flush the coolant. I'm just tring to put in a 180 degree thermostat to help keep the engine cool over the summer to hopefully get some better performance at the track.

Any suggestions, comments, questions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
i'm thinking about replacing mine cause i'm doing a flush for my 60K maintenance. I'ld like to know how the install is as well. Rumor has it you have to unbolt the altenator????

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Couln't you get to it from below? I am not looking at a picture right now so i am not sure but it seems that you should be able to get to it without taking off the alternator??

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a freind who's a toyota Tech, and he said it was nessiary to remove it. When I get around to putting it in, I'll try and take a closer look, but from what I've seen it'll likely be easier to remove the alternator then to try and get around it, if it's at all possible to get around it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
i took a look at it, you can clearly see the thermostat housing, and i'm sure you can get the nuts off, but not sure if there is enough room to pull the housing off with the altenator in the way.

what's the recommendation as far as just replacing the stock, should I do it now at 60K or wait till my next flush at 90K?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
yes that's correct. I flushed at 30, and flushing again at 60, but what's the recommendation for changing the thermostat?

·
Registered
861 Posts
my cars got almost 70k and i dont think its been flushed so do you guys think that the thermostat hasnt been changed for 70k and it went bad causing engine to overheat?

when a thermostat is bad does the engine overheat at all times? or temporary?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts