NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace transmission oil (GT)

23K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  jdzacheis 
#1 · (Edited)
Replace automatic transmission oil (GT)

To replace the automatic transmission oil on the Celica GT is very simple.

1- Purchase the best synthetic oil on the market (redline, Royal Purple)
2- Remove the plastic covers underneath the vehicle
3- You will find on the drivers side underneath the vehicle a round bolt
(with an alan key in the center, used to drain the oil).
4- Drained from transmission 2.5 quart (without replacing the filter)
5- Install drain plug back on.
6- Install the plastic covers underneath the vehicle.
7- From the dip stick inlet, add new transmission oil,
(add the same quantity that was removed).
8- Take the vehicle for a road test.
9- Check trans. oil level "HOT and RUNNING".

* Did not replace the filter (requires less oil)
* Did not empty the converter (requires less oil)

Results, WOW !
The vehicle rides way better, smoother shifting, it feels like shifting in butter !

Synthetic oil :
will cause a drop of 20

See less See more
#2 ·
I like Pennzoil synchromesh trans fluid.

#3 ·
I 'll be sure to do mine within the week ..thanks

#5 ·
what is the best kind of oil for the tranny? is it 5w-30?

#11 ·
Flush it out
(pretty hard to do on an automatic trans., for a manual trans. it`s possible):

It's always possible depending on the type of converter (some have a drain plug and others don't).
In our case I don't think the Celica has a plug, there will always be a % of old oil in it.

It's ok, the new oil is compatible with the old type, and when you do replace the oil with the new, they will mix together without any danger.

#13 ·
I heard that Royal Purple is only good if u started out with new car, cars with higher mileages might have problem with more particles flowing around cuz Royal Purple has some micro stuff that suppose to keep our engine component clean and which strip off the stuff that were hanging onto all the engine parts...
So is it true? I have a GT 00 AT with 100K. Cuz of this rumor, I've not dare to use Royal Purple.

As for Redline, say oil has that 5w30, which type of Redline should I use for my celica and would it has the same problem like Royal Purple?

Thanks in advance to any suggestions and answers!

#16 ·
When you have a MT the gear oil needs to get changed about every 60,000 miles or sooner depending on how you drive.

#21 ·
i used 3 qts.. is that too much?

#23 ·
im reviving this thread from the dead...

so how much ATF do i need exactly? 2.5 qts were stated WITHOUT removing the filter. how much ATF would i need if i DO replace the filter? do i even NEED to replace the filter? i have a lil over 100k miles on mine so i think i might have to unless u guys say otherwise...

i cant find anyone that sells royal purple ATF around here so imma have to order it online and i dont want to come out short-handed... is 3qts enough?

#26 ·
transmission maintenance GT (AT)

Called Toyota & had them look up some old maintenance schedules for a 2001 gt (auto)

>> Takes 3.1 quarts of tranny fluid altogether
(not sure if he meant with or without dropping the pan, I assume with, being as how it takes 2.5 otherwise? >> correct me if I'm, not trying to give false info by any means)

>> As far as changing the filter goes, I was surprised to learn that there isn't really a filter to begin with, just a thin metal screen that is unnecessary to replace unless damaged, which IMHO is impossible to be damaged for a daily driver unless you were involved in a very awkward accident, or unless you removed your drain plug so many times that you have excessive metal scrapings inside in the pan? In that case, you should look into getting a magnetic drain plug: ($15) If you are still determined to swap out the screen, any kragen website or even a walk-in retail location should be able to take care of you.

>> What you will see when you type it in online (list of options)
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1158&ptset=A&searchfor=Transmission+Filter+Kit

>> Anything made by Beck/Arnley is OE, so trust it cuz you have it lol
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BAR&MfrPartNumber=0440325&PartType=1158&PTSet=A

>> So from what I understand, it's really up to you to replace the screen, as the experts claim a simple fluid swap is already more than enough. I personally don't plan on buying a new screen, but do plan on dropping the pan in order to clean both that and the screen with some simple green and hose it off, so that the new fluid will be strictly synthetic fluid and no old residue. My current mileage: 70k

hope this helps!!
--------------------------------
|1|z|z|-|f|e|;] got problems? drive.

#30 ·
oh wait, u forgot one thing on the write up. whether or not u reuse the filter or get a new one, u should always replace the gasket(s). so u could add that as one of the tools/materials needed and place the step where u install NEW gasket inbetween steps 9 and 10. ive heard of ppl getting into some deep sh!t cuz they reused gaskets.

#31 ·
transmission maintenance GT (AT)

haha happy to help bro, I'll definitely consider doing a write up for the community. I'm surprised I overlooked the gasket!:eek: shows how easy it is to skip a crucial 5 second step! good job on that!

in the interest of not making this too wordy lol

STEP: 9.5 replace tranny filter gasket :gap:
http://www.autoanything.com/Parts/PartsProduct.aspx?CategoryID=3075&kc=FFPMM&TemplatePageID=201&SiloName=transmission-76-1012-2001

hope all goes well, your car will love you after this for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.