NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
i used 3 qts.. is that too much?

im reviving this thread from the dead...

so how much ATF do i need exactly? 2.5 qts were stated WITHOUT removing the filter. how much ATF would i need if i DO replace the filter? do i even NEED to replace the filter? i have a lil over 100k miles on mine so i think i might have to unless u guys say otherwise...

i cant find anyone that sells royal purple ATF around here so imma have to order it online and i dont want to come out short-handed... is 3qts enough?

transmission maintenance GT (AT)

^thnx.

bump. anyone else know how much i need with a new filter?
Called Toyota & had them look up some old maintenance schedules for a 2001 gt (auto)

>> Takes 3.1 quarts of tranny fluid altogether
(not sure if he meant with or without dropping the pan, I assume with, being as how it takes 2.5 otherwise? >> correct me if I'm, not trying to give false info by any means)

>> As far as changing the filter goes, I was surprised to learn that there isn't really a filter to begin with, just a thin metal screen that is unnecessary to replace unless damaged, which IMHO is impossible to be damaged for a daily driver unless you were involved in a very awkward accident, or unless you removed your drain plug so many times that you have excessive metal scrapings inside in the pan? In that case, you should look into getting a magnetic drain plug: ($15) If you are still determined to swap out the screen, any kragen website or even a walk-in retail location should be able to take care of you.

>> What you will see when you type it in online (list of options)
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1158&ptset=A&searchfor=Transmission+Filter+Kit

>> Anything made by Beck/Arnley is OE, so trust it cuz you have it lol
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BAR&MfrPartNumber=0440325&PartType=1158&PTSet=A

>> So from what I understand, it's really up to you to replace the screen, as the experts claim a simple fluid swap is already more than enough. I personally don't plan on buying a new screen, but do plan on dropping the pan in order to clean both that and the screen with some simple green and hose it off, so that the new fluid will be strictly synthetic fluid and no old residue. My current mileage: 70k

hope this helps!!
--------------------------------
|1|z|z|-|f|e|;] got problems? drive.

Called Toyota & had them look up some old maintenance schedules for a 2001 gt (auto)

>> Takes 3.1 quarts of tranny fluid altogether
(not sure if he meant with or without dropping the pan, I assume with, being as how it takes 2.5 otherwise? >> correct me if I'm, not trying to give false info by any means)

>> As far as changing the filter goes, I was surprised to learn that there isn't really a filter to begin with, just a thin metal screen that is unnecessary to replace unless damaged, which IMHO is impossible to be damaged for a daily driver unless you were involved in a very awkward accident, or unless you removed your drain plug so many times that you have excessive metal scrapings inside in the pan? In that case, you should look into getting a magnetic drain plug: ($15) If you are still determined to swap out the screen, any kragen website or even a walk-in retail location should be able to take care of you.

>> What you will see when you type it in online (list of options)
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=1158&ptset=A&searchfor=Transmission+Filter+Kit

>> Anything made by Beck/Arnley is OE, so trust it cuz you have it lol
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BAR&MfrPartNumber=0440325&PartType=1158&PTSet=A

>> So from what I understand, it's really up to you to replace the screen, as the experts claim a simple fluid swap is already more than enough. I personally don't plan on buying a new screen, but do plan on dropping the pan in order to clean both that and the screen with some simple green and hose it off, so that the new fluid will be strictly synthetic fluid and no old residue. My current mileage: 70k

hope this helps!!
--------------------------------
|1|z|z|-|f|e|;] got problems? drive.
wow! this helps ALOT! thanks! :thumbup:

is it hard to drop the pan and get to the screen/filter? or is it like right in front of ur face? lol sry, ive never done this before and i would really hate to mess up.

brief steps to complete service

wow! this helps ALOT! thanks! :thumbup:

is it hard to drop the pan and get to the screen/filter? or is it like right in front of ur face? lol sry, ive never done this before and i would really hate to mess up.
Np, uhm it's not really hard once the car is all jacked up and stationary, there are a good amount of bolts to remove to drop the pan (not including the drain plug)

off the top of my head, you'll probably need these tools:

-ramps/jack
-eye protection! >> no DIY is worth risking your safety!!!
-oil catch pan
-large plastic tarp or cover >> this is a messy job
-12 mm socket >> for the bolts if I'm correct
-14 mm socket >> for the drain plug if I'm correct
-torque wrench >> to torque the bolts back to 48 psi I believe
-new tranny fluid, I recommend anything synthetic, brands are personal pref.
-maybe a helping hand for step 10.

1. jack up car, or drive onto ramps, shut off ignition completely
2. remove bendy plastic panels (or beatrush under-panel, in which case you need a 10mm crescent wrench and a 4mm allen wrench)
3. you should know which drain plug it is, rule of thumb: (not the oil plug) there are only two drain plugs, I don't know if toyota changed up the designs for the chassis or anything so I can't exactly say if it's right in front of your face, most likely it will be towards the driver side front
4. place oil catch pan a couple inches in front of the drain plug, use 14mm socket to remove the tranny drain plug
5. wait for every last drop, then thread drain plug and tighten again
6. 12mm socket to remove the (19?) bolts, I would remove them in order, and replace them in order just for reassurance
7. clean the holy hell out of the pan, I don't care if you use the entire bottle of simple green! its not every day you clean your transmission system, for added protection I would grab some tough "Glad food wrap" like you use in the kitchen for leftovers, and cover the transmission internals in order to prevent dust or bugs or any kinda funky stuff from going in there while you clean your pan and screen
8. clean the screen as mentioned in above ^ as far as the internals go (where you covered with food wrap) I'm not sure how safe it is spraying the simple green in there, maybe a good thorough wipe down is best, use your discretion. Now let it sit for 5-10 minutes or more depending on how much cleaner you used, let the cleaner do its job! go grab some water and a sandwich haha
9. hose off removed pan and screen, and wipe away with a good paper towel / clean rag, remove food wrap, place the screen back inside the pan
10. either you or have a buddy hold up the pan, while one of you thread the bolts back, starting with corners first, and work your way around
11. tighten and torque down all bolts to 48 psi (call Toyota to be sure, as over torqued bolts guarantee problems in the future)
12. slide back out from underneath vehicle, open hood
13. remove your AT dipstick from tube, set it aside
14. pour in 3.1 quarts of new tranny fluid via a very thin funnel slooooowly, it'll gush out if job is rushed
15. replace dipstick, and roll car down from ramps without starting the engine, or simply lower it to ground level from jack stand, leveled ground is best for accurate reading.
16. wait about 10 minutes to let fluid sit in the transmission
17. put dipstick back in, start the vehicle, go through all the gears in your driveway spending 5-10 seconds in each gear from P to L then back up to P one at a time, foot on the brake pedal the entire time
18. when back to P the second time around, with the engine is running, go check your tranny dipstick, if you poured in 3.1 quarts you should be right on the dot, if not completely there then add a tiny bit more
19. go around the block, make sure nothing is wrong (no unusual sounds) at this point your shifting through gears is better than sex haha, go for a good drive as your car really likes the new fluid as well, guaranteed to respond better with improved ride quality.

Maybe I wrote too many steps as most of it is common sense, but better safe than sorry!

Remember: if you take care of your car, it'll take care of you.

service time: 2 hours~

oh wait, u forgot one thing on the write up. whether or not u reuse the filter or get a new one, u should always replace the gasket(s). so u could add that as one of the tools/materials needed and place the step where u install NEW gasket inbetween steps 9 and 10. ive heard of ppl getting into some deep sh!t cuz they reused gaskets.

transmission maintenance GT (AT)

oh wait, u forgot one thing on the write up. whether or not u reuse the filter or get a new one, u should always replace the gasket(s). so u could add that as one of the tools/materials needed and place the step where u install NEW gasket inbetween steps 9 and 10. ive heard of ppl getting into some deep sh!t cuz they reused gaskets.
haha happy to help bro, I'll definitely consider doing a write up for the community. I'm surprised I overlooked the gasket!:eek: shows how easy it is to skip a crucial 5 second step! good job on that!

in the interest of not making this too wordy lol

STEP: 9.5 replace tranny filter gasket :gap:
http://www.autoanything.com/Parts/PartsProduct.aspx?CategoryID=3075&kc=FFPMM&TemplatePageID=201&SiloName=transmission-76-1012-2001

hope all goes well, your car will love you after this for sure!

I would recommend to change your automatic transmission filter along with your ATF change. Not doing so doesn't make any sense, it's like changing your engine oil and not changing the filter. It isn't that difficult to change.

Just so everyone is clear, the title of this post is "Replace automatic transmission oil (GT)"
For the record, automatic transmissions don't use transmission oil, they use automatic transmission fluid a.k.a. ATF. I'm not trying to be an a**hole, just clarifying for people who don't know.Manual transmissions use transmission oil/gear oil. If you put gear oil in an automatic you will screw your transmission up, if you put ATF in your manual you will screw your transmission up.

You can find how to change your manual transmission gear oil in this thread http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121104. It says for a GTS, but it's the same for a GT.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.