NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace Your Lift bolts (guide)

48K views 242 replies 115 participants last post by  Vaio81 
#1 ·
Several of us got together last night and swapped out the lift bolts to avoid the breaking problem many are experiencing.

I put together a step by step guide with real pics to make it easier..

Click here to check it out

-Tronix(another fine TC garage install)GT

#2 ·
you can see the wear starting on the bolt on the right. The left bolt is the new bolt it starts tapering right at the wear point, so it redirects the load these bolts have been getting. I advise all GT-S owners (2000-2002) to do this before they break. in general it appears the intake bolt takes more damage than the exhaust bolt.

-Tronix(questions?)GT

#5 ·
This must have been the most informative write up since everyone started talking about this....thanks......really.

#12 ·
well, Technically yes, you are suppose to torque them to 7 ft-lbs, but thats not alot of torque, so you can tighten them right with a standard socket wrench. just dont torque real hard and strip out the bolt. you can tell when its tight.

as for the Gaskets,, the 2 we did were just fine, there was no need to replace them.

-Tronix(newtons)GT

#16 ·
to be quite honest, your bolt (on this pic) looks fine to me... i don't see how the "new" one is not going to show the same signs of what seems like normal wear after some time... i think toyota might have realized that some faulty bolts found their way into the production lines for some 2ZZGEs and some of these might end up breaking... i'd like to know what percentage of GTS (and at what mileage) have experienced the broken bolt problem...

R

#17 ·
well.. if you notice, the bolt on the right (the old one) is worn a bit from where it meets the rocker shaft.
mine looked like that.. maybe a little worse, but here's my theory:

the rocker shaft can rotate if there's an indentation in the bolt, if it rotates, then lift isn't quite as powerful.
it's not much of an indentation, but i'm sure to an engine, a 1/4mm of play makes a bit of a difference.

#18 ·
I have another idea... if you look at the bolts in that pic, notice where the old style bolt's worn area, on the right, lines up on the new style bolt, on the left. It lines up where the bolt begins to taper...and I'm guessing that would be the strongest point of the bolt because it is essentially an arch rather than straight like the old bolt...

If I'm incorrect, please let me know...I'm trying to apply physics, but I could be off. :D

btw, how's it going Raul?

Usman

#19 ·
well, i have not seen the new bolts myself, by judging by that picture it looks as if the new ones are actually thinner? than the old ones? who knows... the design looks very different...
Usman, same old man... needing an oil change but besides that, nothing much going on in S.FL anymore as most of the guys have moved to orlando for school... so it's just me and Derek (the dude with the EVO, boyracer's brother)...
R

#22 ·
uansari said:
yeah, he meant 7 newton meters, not ft. lbs.

metric system, lol.

No actually the valve cover is 10 newton meters. or 7 ft-lb's the TSB shows it both ways for you. I was right, you should know better than to correct me! ;)

and yes, these bolts ARE different, if you raise the bolt on the right up even with the one on the left, the taper in the bolt is right at the stress point. Im not sure how you cant see the wear in the bolt, its mor ethan obvious, and if it wears more it makes it easy to snap.

The taper where it is, will redirect the friction that is being forced on the bolt during lift.

-Tronix(physics gUrU)GT

#24 ·
Tronix-So the valve cover bolts to 7 ft-lbs, but what about the torque specs on the lift bolts that are replaced. Thanks

#25 ·
For all that have checked/replaced their lift bolts.

Did you replace the gaskets as well? (valve cover gasket and O-ring for the oil line) and if you didn't, have you noticed any leaking?

Main reason for questions being, do I need to go buy all the gaskets and the bolts + gasket sealer to replace them, if unbroken of course. (I'm still under 60k warranty but don

#26 ·
Tronix said:
No actually the valve cover is 10 newton meters. or 7 ft-lb's the TSB shows it both ways for you. I was right, you should know better than to correct me! ;)
haha, ok... you're right... you sure know a lot about these lift bolt thingy's... I'd almost think you had lift ;) :p

Originally posted by BadTOYO

Usman, same old man... needing an oil change but besides that, nothing much going on in S.FL anymore as most of the guys have moved to orlando for school... so it's just me and Derek (the dude with the EVO, boyracer's brother)...
R, that sucks... things must be quiet then... bet it's hot as hell down there right now too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.