NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
221 - 240 of 243 Posts
Did either of you guys find a way to tell if they have been replaced without tearing it open?

The original owner of mine was very gentle on it and I doubt ever even hit lift but made sure the dealer took care of it... would they replace these from the TSB without the customer asking?

h8eternal said:
but from what ive heard on the forum is that even with gentle use the lift bolts can break.
Yep
hobo said:
would they replace these from the TSB without the customer asking?
Most likely not.

I have done it yeasterday and I would say the hardest part on this repair was to remove bolts from the back of the valve cover :))) Also I have not read the entire thread, but my friend who owns GT told me that everytime I take off the valve cover, I have to replace the valve gasket, can someone tell me if this really has to be done?

Ok, well im the lucky one, i have a 2000 and just went to change the bolts and one is broken and just barely pinned down and broken just below the threads so i dont have to screw it out, whats the best way to get the bottom half of the bolt unpinned and then i can just pull it out. i read you can turn the crankshaft and it will rotate and move the bolt, i tried rolling the car a couple feet in gear to move the bolt but no luck, and ill admit im a little scared and font want to have to drill the bolt out,. any ideas? sorry if it doesnt make sense kinda frustrated now, any help appreciated.
BTW i called toyota just to see what cost is they estimated around $1000 i laughed and hung up

I just replaced my lift bolts in my 2000 GTS auto. I have 118,000 miles and the bolts were a little worn but not broken, yay easy job!
Hi Bonesaw, did you put replace the gasket/ o ring etc...and put some gasket sealant too? Also, can you show the specific way/picture of the sviwel joint socket to me please? Because I've confused when I tried to open the one that behind the cover (the one that nearest with firewall). Thanks.

A little late ... but new to me

2000 GTS with 35100 miles that I got this weekend. Deathly affraid of broken lift bolt ... but, whew .. they were intact. Thanks for the sticky ... replaced my bolts and cam cover gasket in about 1 hr, including moving the car mid-way due to rain. I am so happy - no breakage. Went out this PM and ... hit lift at 6000rpm. Sounds GREAT++. Not fast mind you ... my MS3 is just plain fast in a torque monster kind of way. But this engine sounds incredible. Fun is fun, not really directly linked to fast per say.

221 - 240 of 243 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.