NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just replaced my lift bolts. Intake: broken, exhaust:intact. Went out and bought a bolt extractor and got the bottom half of the intake bolt out, as it broke 3/4 of the way down the threads. I was able to fish it out without too much issue and without damaging the threads of the head. **whew** some of the more terrifying work I have ever done on a car. Something about taking a drill to the engine seems wrong.

NOTE: all the extractor kits sold by home depot / lowe's use right hand drills. You will have to go to a special shop for the left hand drills that make way more sense if you are trying to take the bolt our anyway. Just as a heads up.

·
Registered
820 Posts
might be this is the main reason the celica discontinoued and people tend to interested on RSX or integra... does Honda got some kind of problem beside the 3 gear?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Is there anyone who has the original writeup from this thread, the link doesn't work for me and when the weather lighten's up i'd like to check my bolts. When i first bought the car it felt like it pulled much stronger than it does now (not much at all feeling) but i can't tell if it's just cause i'm used to it. who knows, it's worth checking anyway, 02 gt-s.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Yes teamcelica is gone, not sure why but it is....

·
Registered
457 Posts
My forward bolt is broken just below the threads so it can be pulled or use a magnet to get out, problem is that the piece is pinned/wedged underneath the block i guess you can call it. any ideas on how to un pinn it, i tried putting it in gear and rolling the car to turn the crankshaft as posted in a tsb but no luck? anything else i can do?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
original link does not work. :(

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
add me to the member of this club, 404 not found for the link in the first post btw. we (mostly my boss) managed to drill a hole down the left behind part of the intake one (exhaust was not broken) but could not get it to come up, infact we got it pushed down into the rocker shaft deeper.

he had an idea to use a long rod from the opposite end of the rocker shaft (after taking off the lift oil valve) to get whats in the shaft cocked and push the broken bit out the other end. i don't think it'll work, but i'm willing to try it. thoughts? we have a hole in the broken part but its not centered, it way off to one side. we can spin the broken part about 180* in the hole but no further and cannot get it to come up. any shortcuts on this one or will i be pulling an intake camshaft out?

241 - 260 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.