NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
do it now rather than later, trust me. i waited a few months and was tipped off by once in a while having what felt like weak lift. i choked it upto the fact that i was going up a slight hill or had a passenger. nope!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm gonna have to check mine. I'm at 88K on a 00 GTS... Don't know if they've ever been replaced. Lift still hits but it seems weaker than when I first got it...

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I'm gonna have to check mine. I'm at 88K on a 00 GTS... Don't know if they've ever been replaced. Lift still hits but it seems weaker than when I first got it...
one is broke, i can almost guarantee. so uh after next week the shop i work at will have someone who knows how to fix it if ones broke ya know ;)

btw, 2000 GTS with 87K here.

·
Registered
307 Posts
thanks, the guide in the TSB doesn't look too hard, and it doesn't look like it'll take 6.5 hours either! maybe 2, or 3 if I take my time. but, I've done this sorta thing before so I should be able to manage

·
fools runnin a Honda 2000
3,854 Posts
finally changed mine. luckily it wasnt broken, it was near perfect, tho i thought i was broken beccuz of the lift lag i had. but for now im happy and can't wait to check it out.
tip: you need more than one person to do this easily, taking off the valve cover is pita

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
valve cover comes off easy, lift the one corner where the oil sprayer is up first then slide it back and lift it away.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Replaced mine today. Luckily neither were broken, though they both had wear. They are the revised style so the previous owner must have replaced them. But I'll definately be replacing mine every 15K from now on!

exhaust is on the right, and has more wear on it. Both had wear though.

I bought all the gaskets in the TSB too and got raped on the prices from my local dealer... I paid $2.16 EACH bolt! Definately won't be going back there. But anyway I have the two gaskets and o-rings from the TSB, if anyone needs them they should PM me. They're brand new

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts
But I'll definately be replacing mine every 15K from now on!
The newer silver colored ones seem to hold up even better. You can probably go 30-60K on them, judging from the wear I've seen on mine. I just got through replacing my 3rd or 4th set.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The newer silver colored ones seem to hold up even better. You can probably go 30-60K on them, judging from the wear I've seen on mine. I just got through replacing my 3rd or 4th set.
Good to know! The ones I put in were silver, I figured the ones in there were just gold from being subjected to the oil in the valve cover. I noticed they had a high "load range" with all the dots on the top... I forget exactly what they mean but I know that more dots means stronger bolt :gap:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
got it done today, made a variation on the TSB process, i did not totally pull the belt tensioner, just loosed the pivot bolt and top bolt for the hydraulic cylinder and slid it over enough to get the tensioner out.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
i'll add some notes here, with the crank at 0* TDC the intake cam mark is NOT perfectly level with the head as is illustrated. no matter what i did, it would not look like that, everything else was perfect, so i just rolled with it. runs perfectly. ultragrey by permatex is the same as the toyota sealant. all in all its not nearly as bad as i thought it would be, but i was sure sweating bullets.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
u dont rele even need the link, its rather easy as long as u know the 2 bolts... just get the repair manual for tourk specs, took me about 30 min from removing the first couple bolts to starting and driving the car, just watch out for the oil distrubtion tube thing in the back right corner...

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,637 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just replaced my @ 81,200 miles got lucky both very heavily worn. Anyone at this milage I would recommend changing them, 30 min max.

261 - 280 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.