Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
uansari said:
yeah, he meant 7 newton meters, not ft. lbs.

metric system, lol.

No actually the valve cover is 10 newton meters. or 7 ft-lb's the TSB shows it both ways for you. I was right, you should know better than to correct me! ;)

and yes, these bolts ARE different, if you raise the bolt on the right up even with the one on the left, the taper in the bolt is right at the stress point. Im not sure how you cant see the wear in the bolt, its mor ethan obvious, and if it wears more it makes it easy to snap.

The taper where it is, will redirect the friction that is being forced on the bolt during lift.

-Tronix(physics gUrU)GT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tronix-So the valve cover bolts to 7 ft-lbs, but what about the torque specs on the lift bolts that are replaced. Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
For all that have checked/replaced their lift bolts.

Did you replace the gaskets as well? (valve cover gasket and O-ring for the oil line) and if you didn't, have you noticed any leaking?

Main reason for questions being, do I need to go buy all the gaskets and the bolts + gasket sealer to replace them, if unbroken of course. (I'm still under 60k warranty but don

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Tronix said:
No actually the valve cover is 10 newton meters. or 7 ft-lb's the TSB shows it both ways for you. I was right, you should know better than to correct me! ;)
haha, ok... you're right... you sure know a lot about these lift bolt thingy's... I'd almost think you had lift ;) :p

Originally posted by BadTOYO

Usman, same old man... needing an oil change but besides that, nothing much going on in S.FL anymore as most of the guys have moved to orlando for school... so it's just me and Derek (the dude with the EVO, boyracer's brother)...
R, that sucks... things must be quiet then... bet it's hot as hell down there right now too...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Did you replace the gaskets as well? (valve cover gasket and O-ring for the oil line) and if you didn't, have you noticed any leaking?
wat is this? cans somebody post some pics?

well, Technically yes, you are suppose to torque them to 7 ft-lbs, but thats not alot of torque, so you can tighten them right with a standard socket wrench.
is that ur guess or is torqueing them to 7 ft-lbs a fact? also can i use a torque wrench i use on my rims to torque down the lift bolt? or do i need to go out and buy a small torque wrench?

·
Registered
540 Posts
i just took my head cover off afterwork to replace the lift bolt. My car only have abou 20k miles on it and the lift bolt was ready to break. really recommend you look into your lift bolts. sorry i don't have a digi cam otherwise i would have taken a picture of the damaged bolts. also it took me and my friend who's a mechanic hour to do it with air tools, pretty easy to do. definently don't over tighten the new bolts, doesn't need a lot of force. i forgot how much torque my friend use.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
wat can u use to torque it down to that spec? i dont have a torque wrench so is there any other way to do this? or should i go and buy a torque wrench? if so is there a specific torque wrench i should buy? i kno that the torque wrench used on rims are huge so i doubt u could use that on the bolts right?

·
Registered
540 Posts
nope you don't, but with air tool taking out those bolts that head cover was a breeze. cept those damn bolts in the back. to tell ya the truth, we only tourque down the 2 lift bolts. the rest we just put them back on by hand. ah well if my car blows up next month i'll get ya know ;)

00CericaRuss said:
air tools? you don't need no steenkeen air tools for this :D

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
wat can u use to torque it down to that spec? i dont have a torque wrench so is there any other way to do this? or should i go and buy a torque wrench? if so is there a specific torque wrench i should buy? i kno that the torque wrench used on rims are huge so i doubt u could use that on the bolts right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok.... changed them out last night. Probably took about an hour. I didn't have a swivel head socket hehe ;) .

Anyway, they both had an indention worn into them. The intake side being the most severe. As long as all my gaskets resealed well it was an outstanding success. I think I sweat about 5lbs in my freakishly hot garage, eeeeekkk.

The bolts seem a lot smaller in person. Oh well, $1.20 for materials, $40 dollars for time, not having to wait for the dealer to screw it up

·
Registered
149 Posts
damn...the intake side was broke and the exhaust side was showing wear and I only have 19k miles. I urge everyone to do this as soon as possible.

·
Registered
791 Posts
lift bolts are 66inches/ lb. 66inches/12 (inches per foot) = 5.5 ft/lbs. Most torque wrenches go to inches when it's that low.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
i just replaced my lift bolts! they were worn a little bit, luckily not broken. im at about 16,500 miles. heres a pic of the exhaust bolt versus the new bolt:

the intake bolt's wear was much thicker than the exhausts' but the pic didnt turn out clear.

21 - 40 of 283 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.