NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need some help. I don't know a whole lot about car audio. I recently had best buy install some Alpine Type-S speakers to replace all 4 6.5" speakers in my celica. The goal was to get a little more bass without having to put a sub in there. My friend had the same speakers installed in his saturn and I really like the amount of bass he has. I've checked and double-checked with him, and he doesn't have any amps or anything. The speakers and head unit are the only non-factory parts in his system...same as mine. But my system sounds horrible compared to his. The bass isn't even noticeable unless you turn the volume almost all the way up at which point everything higher pitched gets distorted. I've tried turning bass EQ all the way up and treble all the way down which makes almost no difference. I have a Kenwood KDC-MP625 which I bought about 4-5 years ago. Could it be that I just need a better head unit? Could it be something about the way best buy installed them? Do I need an amp? As with 99% of people on this forum, I'm on a budget so I don't have the money to go replace everything in search of an answer. If nothing else, I can still return them...it's only been a week or so since they were installed. Thanks for your help...

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,635 Posts
How do they compare against the original speakers? If the new ones are worse, go back to worst buy & have them go over what they did.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At normal listening levels, they sound a little crisper and cleaner but the bass isn't really there at all compared to the factory ones before. The whole goal of upgrading the speakers was to get a little more bass without having to put a sub in there. I don't need to rattle my teeth, just want to physically feel the lower frequencies a little more. After a little research, I'm thinking maybe an amp and/or crossover could help me out a little? If I was to put the lower freq's to the rear speakers and the higher ones up front maybe? I have the stock tweeters still installed if that makes any difference...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
When you go from stock speakers to upgraded speakers you lose the bass, reason being companies make these speakers to get paired with subs. For example, Type-R 6.5 component speakers from Alpine are paired to go with Type-R subs from alpine so you get that entire freq. range with crisp clear sound.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So basically, I did the exact opposite of what I should have done. The best thing to do now is either get a sub/amp combo installed or go back to the factory speakers? The weird thing is I've heard these same speakers in a friend's car, and he had plenty of bass without a sub or amp.

·
15,635 Posts
I have the stock tweeters still installed if that makes any difference...
^This may not be helping matters. Now you have 2 crossovers on each front speaker set.

Swapping only the rears would have helped their dynamic range (on '00-'02's), where they are just a single cone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the stock system already has crossovers? what would you suggest I do with the current setup to fix things? or should I just get a type-s sub and an amp to push it all? the head unit high pass filter is off btw...it's set to "thru".

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
What i would do is remove the stock tweeters.

Then depending on how much your aftermarket speakers are pushing (watts) get a small sub/amp. Type S would be good with a small amp. Could be done with under 250$

·
15,635 Posts
Kenwood KDC-MP625
Then depending on how much your aftermarket speakers are pushing (watts) get a small sub/amp.
HU=50Wx4 max, 22Wx4 RMS. Spkrs rated @ 80W, 240W max. 22W->80Wx4 would be a 6db gain and worth amping. A 300-500W RMS (total) amp should do it.

Disconnect the stock tweeters first and see what improvement that makes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
ok, so 2way are you agreeing with 02celica that BOTH sub and amp need to be added or just add the 300-500W amp? even with the amp added, that 6db gain isn't going to be able to bring out a little bass without distorting everything else?

i found the Alpine Type-S Subs (SWS-1043) for like $60-70 brand new. does single or double voice coil matter in my setup?

sorry guys, i wish i was a little more car audio informed. i appreciate all the help though...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
ok so you still have the stock tweeter, which means that these are coaxial i take it (im making the assumption that you hooked them up correctly)? that would be the first mistake. 02celica had it right, they are designed to be good with a sub, as are most coaxials. getting a component set of speakers, that have a low bass frequency range, will help. i had this problem wiwth 4 way pioneers. i went with the new premeir components, it has way more bass and a hell of a lot better sound quality. highly suggest using an amp though, just makes them sound better. check it out!
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0612_caep_pioneer_premier_ts_c720prs/index.html

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
^Component sets have way worse bass than a coaxial speaker. They have the cross over which eliminates any freq that isnt mid (goes to midbass (6.5)) or high (goes to tweeter).

I think 2 way is saying to get just an amp. I could be reading his post wrong though.

I would say get a Type-S sub, 10" (tight bass), with a 5 channel amp, a 500 watt should be good, and then hook everything into that.

And single/dual doesnt really matter except when looking at the amp.

I will try and find some time to look up a amp/sub for you. First, i will need to know if you got just coaxials or if you got comp setups too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well i think in the morning, i'm going to go in and disconnect the factory tweeters then run some various music and see how it sounds like that. if i'm still not satisfied, i'll probably go with the amp first and in the end add the sub if things still don't sound like i want them to. it was an impulse buy thinking that i was safe because my friend had the same speakers. i found them online for half of what i paid at the store and i should have done the research on basic car audio before making the purchase. are there factory crossovers that i need to disconnect along with the factory tweeters or can i just disconnect the wires on the tweeters?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That always sucks when you do an impulse buy. If you have to do it again, Do it right plan it out, ask on here, research, get everything together, then do the install.

·
15,635 Posts
The crossover is just a bass blocking capacitor, I believe, up by the tweeters. If you disconnect the OEM tweeters @ the coaxials. You should be OK. Yeah, I was just saying to get an amp, if you liked the sound of your friend's. The amp would drive them correctly. I do like 02celica's suggestion, tho. So, if you're on a budget, get a 5ch amp and add the sub later if you don't get enough bass by just adding the amp. 1st step, pull the tweeters;)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, so i haven't gotten around to pulling the OEM tweeters yet but just to prepare before i get the door panels ripped off is there anything special i need to know about disconnecting these or is it pretty straight forward? it sounds like you're saying they should be wired in series with the coaxial tweeters in some way. i imagine there will be wires visibly running from the coaxials to the stock tweeters and i will just disconnect the end on the coaxials. sound about right?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
The stock tweeters just get wires/signals from the "control panel" in the kick panel. But you can disconnect them at the tweeter.

·
15,635 Posts
Wired in parallel. If I recall correctly, wires from HU go to the lower speakers and the wires to the tweeters connect @ the lower speaker.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Mine werent that way. i dont think so.. its hard to remember >.<

1 - 20 of 51 Posts