NewCelica.org Forum banner

Replacing front speakers...

686 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SQ GT-S 
#1 ·
I know the size is 6.5, and I know I should go 2 or 3 way. My question is my passenger side speaker is blown (visually verified) and it will need to be replaced. So what can I replace it with that will sound atleast as good as stock without replacing amps or HU? I don't want a boom'n car, I just want tunes that don't crackle. I replaced the stock speakers in my GSX and it sounded like sh!t, it was awful and put the stock back in. So what brand model would be best?

Many thx in advance

#3 ·
is what you need to use. It's been discussed many times.

Basically, we all have our own ideas on what is the best. I will RECOMMEND MB Quart, JL XR's, Pioneer REV's and Focal's. But remember, these are suggestions. Do yourself a favor, listen to these speakers and use YOUR ears to decide. What sounds good to me might sound bad to someone else.

Curt

#5 ·
Those are some badass speakers is what those are. For people not going to the link, they are JL XR-650CSi's.

In the kit you got the obvious stuff, 6.5" mids, 1" aluminum tweets, grilles, and the hardware. Those boxes are the cross overs (X-over). Basically, you run your speaker wire from the amp into this box. The X-over has outputs to a tweeter and to a mid. The X-over will only send high frequencies to the tweeters, and midrange frequencies to the mids. This prevents damaging the speakers.

Component sets like the one linked to come with these X-over boxes. They have a more accurate way of cutting the frequencies up for the speakers. Component speakers (mounted together) use small capacitors as the X-over. This does work, however it sucks for sound. Running external X-overs (electronic or non) is always the best way to go.

Curt

#6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.... I have done some searches before posting but most posts are about replacing the HU and/or amp too. I am not wanting to dump a bunch of money in the stereo right now, just want decent sound. What I have learned is that a speaker will sound totally different in a car door than what it is like in a store box. Did this with my last car and it was terrible, so I just wanted recommendations on what sounds good with the stock amp and in the door itself. My budget is about 100 bux, the seller will pay to replace them for me. Many thanx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.