NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried taking off my front driver side wheel today and the mechanic cranked it on there so hard with an impact hammer during my inspection that I broke 2 lug studs trying to get it off.

I believe that he most likely cracked the other 3 as well and I don't trust them so I am going to replace all 5. I bought the replacement lug studs but ran into an issue when trying to remove the rotor. It would not budge.

I used a rubber mallet and a ball peen hammer on it and it did not move. Celica's rotors are not held on in an special way are they? They should just slide off like in the below Toyota Corolla video on how to do it? At 1:30 they remove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqhZb_s2vA

If so, then I believe that it is just super stuck. I didn't have the other front wheel lifted up, does it also have to be elevated in order to let the rotor slide off?

Any suggestions on how to get it off? I saw that you can try cranking bolts into the back of it to try and force it off. I bought another rotor kit so if I break it trying to take it off it is no big deal.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If the rotors have holes thread M8 bolts into the rotors a little bit and then hit the hub of the rotor with a hammer, usually that'll pop them loose. You may simply need a bigger hammer like a sledge and a block of wood so you don't dent the rotor. They can get stuck on pretty hard.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the help. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a single piece rotor that wasn't made to slide off before I really started pounding on it to free it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Until you crack the rotor ring off the rotor hat and make your one piece rotor into a two piece rotor! If that happens you'll need an angle grinder and a chisel, cut a slit in the rotor hat that's still stuck to the hub then crack it with the chisel. It'll fall right off.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this today and the passenger side rotor came off with about 30 good whacks from the ball peen hammer.

The driver side I needed to use a sledge for 4 good whacks and that knocked it loose. Thanks for all the help. It was pretty easy using a punch to knock out the broken studs and replace them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts