NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would like to get a total review from the people who have got the WR Race Header all in one place.

Weapon*R 4-2-1 Race Header
Long Tube Design Maximum High RPM Exhaust Flow
Stepped Tubing Design for Higher Torque Gains
Ideal for all forms of Competition Racing
Best for Vehicles with High Lift Cams and High RPM Rev Band
2.5" Collector for High Exhaust Flow
Eliminates Catalytic Converter ( NOT 50 State Legal )
Designed with Extensive Research and Devlopement on Weapon*R's Dynapack Dyno.
OFFROAD USE ONLY
NOT LEGAL FOR USE ON PUBLIC HIGHWAYS

MSRP: $750
PART#: 953-116-103

Whats your thoughts on this header.

There's a GB going on also for this header.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I may be picking this up this month, so i will be able to give ya a review later on.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
so far i know DYI and youngxlos has it with a pfc. i have it but haven't had time to get it installed and do an after dyno. i have my baseline of a regular i/h/e already.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I wonder how you can say this header is "Long Tube Design Maximum High RPM Exhaust Flow". Did you really target high end? It is crystal clear from the following dyno done by MWR that it aims mostly for midrange, loosing it's momentum at real high rpms. This is only one test of course, I'd like to see it not loosing on the top end at the least! Both dynos do not cross 8k and it doesnt look promising up there from the infos we have so far. it looks like it's gonna drop below stock curves. I am affraid it might be significantly below.

I think you made a good job on that header. The midrange looks amazing and the begining of the lift looks good. And that's finally a race header for us! Thank you! Still, the very top end bugs me.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I agree the top end is where these cars live if you are thinking about a race header it only makes sense to want the power up top.... what are you running for the rest of the exhaust?? what axleback.... your problems maybe with that.... wouldn't make much sense if it flows so well and picks up those gains just to die up top.... just a thought though.... sound clips??

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
danGTS said:
I wonder how you can say this header is "Long Tube Design Maximum High RPM Exhaust Flow". Did you really target high end? It is crystal clear from the following dyno done by MWR that it aims mostly for midrange, loosing it's momentum at real high rpms. This is only one test of course, I'd like to see it not loosing on the top end at the least! Both dynos do not cross 8k and it doesnt look promising up there from the infos we have so far. it looks like it's gonna drop below stock curves. I am affraid it might be significantly below.

I think you made a good job on that header. The midrange looks amazing and the begining of the lift looks good. And that's finally a race header for us! Thank you! Still, the very top end bugs me.
i can promise this header did give a lot of top end. i have no money to do dynos but i have a kazuman exhaust and **** that top end is crazy

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
What did MWR use at the end off the RH anyway? Cut the stock midpiping? left it open at headers end? I know they didn't use a kazuma during testing.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
youngxlos said:
i can promise this header did give a lot of top end. i have no money to do dynos but i have a kazuman exhaust and **** that top end is crazy
Ya .. butt dyno, I know what it's worth!! You r good if you can feel the difference of 5 whp on a 1000 rpm powerband ... The noise of the new header itself can make you feel your car is faster. Or even lower air temp can make 5 whp difference!

It is especially harder to feel the torque gain at 8k since you are loosing quite a bunch pretty fast there. It is easier to feel the gains from 5k to 7k ..

Do a dyno bud ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a few things to add.
We did some additional research on the header and we found out why the header doesnt make more power up top.

1. When we designed the header we designed it to work with a " Stock " exhaust piping.

2. When we enlarged the collector pipe behind the flex pipe from 2.25" to 2.5" the power band on top end changed.

If anyone is intrested in having our header made in a 2.5" collector we can do that.
I can promise that it will gain more top end.

MWR... If you can do another dyno, cut the 2.25" collector pipe off and weld on a 2.5" pipe on the back of the flex pipe i am sure you can get more power.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
great response.... good customer service... thumbs up to you my friend.... I'd consider buying one if it wasn't so damn expensive....

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
danGTS said:
youngxlos said:
Ya .. butt dyno, I know what it's worth!! You r good if you can feel the difference of 5 whp on a 1000 rpm powerband ... The noise of the new header itself can make you feel your car is faster. Or even lower air temp can make 5 whp difference!

It is especially harder to feel the torque gain at 8k since you are loosing quite a bunch pretty fast there. It is easier to feel the gains from 5k to 7k ..

Do a dyno bud ;)
hey like i said there is no money right now for a dyno, besides why waste it on a dyno now wen i still have more mods for the motor. i know i gained from it so thats all it matters.
leo any intress in wr on making a Engine Damper Kit for our cars, ill be intrested

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
So the stock piping of the Celica's after the cat is only 2.25"?

Wow, I'm glad you guys are on here to give us updates. Thats some great customer service!

Can't wait till I get one.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
wrleo said:
We did some additional research on the header and we found out why the header doesnt make more power up top.

1. When we designed the header we designed it to work with a " Stock " exhaust piping.

2. When we enlarged the collector pipe behind the flex pipe from 2.25" to 2.5" the power band on top end changed.

If anyone is intrested in having our header made in a 2.5" collector we can do that.

MWR... If you can do another dyno, cut the 2.25" collector pipe off and weld on a 2.5" pipe on the back of the flex pipe i am sure you can get more power.
so does that mean i can exchange for a bigger one? can you PM me some details??

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
wrleo said:
Why do companies do this? Do they think that people are only going to use their products alone on their cars? DC did the same thing with their header. It gained around 10whp on a stock GT-S, but barely any on a modded one, and even lost power at some RPMs. If they had tuned it with an aftermarket intake and exhaust in mind, maybe they could've actually had gains larger than a stock ported header (the best header right now).
VoodooTRD said:
So the stock piping of the Celica's after the cat is only 2.25"?
Yup, that's why Kazuma gains so much. It makes the exhaust system completely 2.5".

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Long primaries != High End power.

The reason you see big mid range gains on the WR header is because of the long primaries.

Short Primaries = Top end power
Long Primaries = Low & Midrange power

Plus, a 4-2-1 design is far from being optimized for high end power. Hence why the primaries in my RH are only 25" long and its 4-1 design. I want crazy power when the big cam switches over, anything before that I really don't care. It's a race header not a Sunday drive header.

Also, about the collector.... bigger != better.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
wrleo said:

Interesting!! You r promising? Check your PMs ...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Redliner9k said:
Long primaries != High End power.

The reason you see big mid range gains on the WR header is because of the long primaries.

Short Primaries = Top end power
Long Primaries = Low & Midrange power

Plus, a 4-2-1 design is far from being optimized for high end power. Hence why the primaries in my RH are only 25" long and its 4-1 design. I want crazy power when the big cam switches over, anything before that I really don't care. It's a race header not a Sunday drive header.

Also, about the collector.... bigger != better.
^^Yup. Tri-Y designs are made for mid-range torque, which this header produces. 4-1 headers are hardly useful unless you have other mods, which is why many companies can't give a good dyno on them without adding mods.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts