NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out exactly what is needed to do this, my searches aren't giving me enough info....My basic understanding of a return fuel system is a second tap in my fuel rail to a fuel regulator set at 55 psi and a tube from the fuel regulator to the fuel tank. Is it really that simple or am I missing something :gap: . Also a list of prefered parts for this would be nice(...is the aem fuel presure regulator good for doing this?). :popcorn:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
A truely worked fuel system you would want higher volume fuel pump as well.
You can modify stock fuel rail to get it as center feed (I got one off a groupbuy) and use the original feed as return line. Braided fuel line is a must ofcourse, and so is fuel pressure regulator. Lets not forget all the fittings nut and whatnot that goes with fuel system. I am assuming you already have bigger injectors? I am going to assume you have the management system as well, since any mod without management is useless.

BTW why are you interested in return fuel system? Unless you are spraying or boostin, there is absolutely no value in this fuel system. If you are boosted or spraying then you should have posted in Forced Induction forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool2miketlu said:
A truely worked fuel system you would want higher volume fuel pump as well.
You can modify stock fuel rail to get it as center feed (I got one off a groupbuy) and use the original feed as return line. Braided fuel line is a must ofcourse, and so is fuel pressure regulator. Lets not forget all the fittings nut and whatnot that goes with fuel system. I am assuming you already have bigger injectors? I am going to assume you have the management system as well, since any mod without management is useless.

BTW why are you interested in return fuel system? Unless you are spraying or boostin, there is absolutely no value in this fuel system. If you are boosted or spraying then you should have posted in Forced Induction forum.
thx for the info..and sry brain moving slow still thought performance was the better place to put this :) . So this really was as easy as I thought it was, anyone know a place I can get a cheap fuel guage for this?(I have big injectors a 165lph fuel pump and I'm getting ready to pay for my c2 turbo.)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thats about it. You need a fuel pressure gauge too of course to see if your regulator is set to 55 psi. There are some fittings to plumb the return line into the tank and one vac hose to run to teh regulator if you are referencing boost. Thats about it.

here's my setup:

here's a guide for doing it on a 1zz corolla, the modification to the tank part is a bit different, but not much.

http://vamp.darkravers.net/TipsReturnFuelLine.cfm

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
you could do a return without having two fittings going to the fuel rail

meaning inseatd of fuelpump, line, fuelrail, line, regulator

you could fuelpump, line, regulator, fuelrail

BTW there is someone selling a SF fuel rail on the FS section

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
If you get fuel pressure gauge get the electronic ones, mechanical can not be installed in the cabin for obvious reasons. True mechanical works better, but electronical ones works too and can be installed inside cabin so it is better for the tuner to do necessary adjustments.

BTW I had modified one since I was one of the first to have return fuel system done, I swapped it to the SF one. I noticed you do not need the higher volume fuel rail, I noticed stock fuel rail is more than good enough up to around 350WHP.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
They are similar... Fuel rail all looks similar long pipe with 3 tapped holes to mount lines and/or gauges and 4 holes on the bottom for the injectors.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey guys i was serching on fuel rails and found this post. Some of you probalby know that we have the gts with the stroker from MWR and we got so far a total of 366whp. Well when we where at around 350whp. We where told we needed a returnless fuel line or the water/meth injection. So we went with the water/met injection kit thats when we got to the 366 but then the pressure plate couldnt hold any more and it was a 6 puck cluth.
Well anyways now we lost 5th and 6th gear and it has been rebuilt a few times so we are getting a used one with low miles. And at that time we are changing the clutch. Now i guess if we get the returnless fuel line done. That can only help.
Well do they have any kits out to make the returnless fuel line yet does anybody know? And where is the best place to get the fuel rail and. What electronic gauge would you recommend?
Thanks for any info

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Who is doing the work? MWR? I am sure they can fabricate a fuel rail fairly quickly or modify the stock one for you. If anybody would make something like this it would probably be MWR, even then it would be pretty cheap to do. I am not exactly sure how much I spent on the setup but the most expensive part other than fuel pump and injectors was the fuel rail.
I'll see if I can locate my old stock fuel rail, take a picture of it so you know how to modify yours.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks i would like to see the pictures. I havent talked to Matt from MWR in a while but i want to give him a call on a few things. Its his best motor and i want to beat the record for the celica and if anybody can help me with this then he can. But he is pretty far to bring our car. But i can run the line to the tank and do the tapping but i dont know where to end it. I am going to probalby call Matt and see if he has any kits if anybody else knows of where i can get a pre done kit let me know
thanks

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I seey your goal is high HP, so I am not so sure the modified stock fuel rail is going to be good enough for you. You would probably want to ask Matt what they recomand.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'll post some pics of my setup later if you want...

Im using Aeromotive regulator, -6 line from a walbro to the rail(-4 bulk head to exit the tank to a -6 adapter), custom rail I got from a group buy here, then -6 to the regulator, -6 to the stock feed line that I removed the stock regulator to act as the return line

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Yep - basically you will have to block off the in tank spring loaded regulator and run a line back to the tank from the new adjustable regulator you will have to install. Talk to Smaay and see if he can still get SF fuel rails.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
No pics - sorry. You are headed into territory thats only been crossed a handful of times on the 7th Gen. Its not a complicated concept, just not something thats done too often.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
SEASIDE-GRAPHIX said:
if you have pics that would be great.
This is on a matrix not a celica, but basically the same thing...

Engine bay pic, lines going to fuel rail and regulator.

Here is the return line going to the stock fuel hard line.

Top of the fuel pump housing, you can see the -4 AN BulkHead fitting with the -6 AN adapter, I had the 90 degree fitting you see I used on the return line bellow the regulator for this area but it did not fit so I used the 45 degreed fitting(I had for the return line) and routed the line around the housing area.

Sorry no pics of inside the pump housing but basically you dremel the pump inlet out and drill the hole for the BulkHead fitting and use 5/16" intank fuel hose(not just regular fuel hose) to connect to the fuel pump and remove the stock regulator, you just pull it out. The new -6 AN feed line you just route it under the car with the other hard lines.

BTW I used about 15 feet of -6 AN SS braided line

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
... and use good hose, clamps, and fittings throughout so you don't burn your car to the ground. Keep the return line away from heat and the ground. Leak check everything twice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts