NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ... just a couple questions as I was pondering this on the freeway...

1. should rev matching always be done with double clutching?
2. if not, exactly what steps do you take to match the revs?
3. should rev matching always be done when downshifting? is it better for the engine than just downshifting by just slowly letting out the clutch for a smooth shift?

Anthony

·
Registered
997 Posts
As you get to know the car you will figure out where the RPM's are supposed to be for a given gear at a given speed. Do not let the clutch act as the equalizer between the forces! This will possibly cause driveline shock which may result in a loss of traction leading you into a ditch. Not to mention it will place undue stress on you drivetrain and cause rapid clutch wear.

What I do once I get into a new car is randomly change gears while cruing at moderate highway speeds. This works for gears 3-6. Do not go into 1 or 2 at highway speeds ;)

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I'm sure a lot of people are going to post after this and say I am wrong, but...

Rev matching and double clutching is completely and totally pointless on a modern syncronized transmition, you should never rev match or double clutch. If you want to shift correctly, just push in the clutch, put the shifter into the next gear, and then release the clutch. Thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i agree partially w/ chameleon. double clutching is indeed pointless... however, revmatching sometimes will save a lot of stress on your car. take for example... you hit a nice downward sloping hill... you stick it in neutral and coast for a while, when it's time to get back into gear, you don't want to just shove it in say 4th and let the clutch out. give it some gas to get the RPM to about where you think it should be at 4th and then engage it... it'll be smooth as butter

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
n2oxide said:
i agree partially w/ chameleon. double clutching is indeed pointless... however, revmatching sometimes will save a lot of stress on your car. take for example... you hit a nice downward sloping hill... you stick it in neutral and coast for a while, when it's time to get back into gear, you don't want to just shove it in say 4th and let the clutch out. give it some gas to get the RPM to about where you think it should be at 4th and then engage it... it'll be smooth as butter
Yeah, if u want downshifting to be smooth or other shifts that require higher rpms.....u better rev match. Or feel a big jolt.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Also if you downshift when slowing down rev matching is a good idea. But yes...double clutching is not necessary.

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol.... heel toe is a little bit more complicated technique than just rev matching. I don't really like the pedal placement in the celica as far as heel-toe shifting goes. Of course, it could be because I'm tall and I can't get my foot in there at an angle..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you supposed to match the revs as you slowly let out the clutch? or do you match the revs while the cluth is completely to the floor, then let it out?

·
Registered
703 Posts
SpectraBMGT said:
are you supposed to match the revs as you slowly let out the clutch? or do you match the revs while the cluth is completely to the floor, then let it out?
Neither. You're supposed to rev match by pressing on the gas when the clutch is let out and the gears are in neutral.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Redox, what you suggest is indeed double-clutching, something which is not necessary on a syncronized tranny.

Rev-matching is matching engine revs with what the revs need to be to engage smoothly in the to be selected gear, and can is done in the interim between shifts with the clutch on the floor.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought double clutching was slamming down on the clutch pedal while you're in gear to boost the RPM a little...

this is what i do... i'm coming up to a turn in the middle of 3rd gear. i'll stick it in neutral and brake a little going into the turn... when i hit the straight i'll tap the gas to get it to about 2.5k and stick it in 2nd gear... no lurching, it's smooth... what's this called? rev-matching or double clutching?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts