NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys after a year+ of reading this forum everyday, the time has come... i am finally able to purchase a celica. this will be my first car that i am buying myself and i am worried about one thing. if i go with the 00, 01 GTS how can i be sure that it has never been misshifted in? or should i just go with the GT?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am pretty sure a VIN number check at the dealership will show all major work done to the vehicle. If it was misshifted...I can guarantee you it will be in the computer in one way or another.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Where are you? My lease is up in April, and I am thinking about trying to sell it instead of trading it back in. I've never miss-shifted :thumbup:

Since most are covered under warranty, I don't think carfax will have that on the report. So, it may be hard to find out unless you buy from an honest person.

·
Registered
490 Posts
well sometimes if you misshift you'll get a brand new engine, so that would actually be better. What you really have to watch out for, and is unfortunately difficult to do, are those engines that have been rebuilt by a poorly skilled toyota tech. I misshifted and basically got a new short block and head. 28k on the clock and I had to break in the car for 500 miles, car feels better than it has ever.

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
Re: Re: risk of purchasing used gts

IRL said:
I am pretty sure a VIN number check at the dealership will show all major work done to the vehicle. If it was misshifted...I can guarantee you it will be in the computer in one way or another.
that does not work. when i got my used engine, i took the vin to a local dealership which told me that I have to go to the actual dealership that services the car to get all the service history:wtf:

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
bug killa said:
well sometimes if you misshift you'll get a brand new engine, so that would actually be better. What you really have to watch out for, and is unfortunately difficult to do, are those engines that have been rebuilt by a poorly skilled toyota tech. I misshifted and basically got a new short block and head. 28k on the clock and I had to break in the car for 500 miles, car feels better than it has ever.
:werd: ....this is soooooooooo true!!!! they did a ****ty job on my motor and it breaks down every couple of months:bang: ...so now i got my self a used motor off a wrecked celi

BTW bug killer.....do you really want motor mounts?? i have the 1's that i got off the used engine. Let me know if u need em'

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Re: Re: risk of purchasing used gts

TRD StreetRacing said:

that does not work. when i got my used engine, i took the vin to a local dealership which told me that I have to go to the actual dealership that services the car to get all the service history:wtf:
Yup, all toyota dealership service historr, records are not linked up with each other. Come to think of it, no car dealership come to mind when you talk about dealership records being link together. The only thing that all dealership are linked up to are the availability of cars, where, and how many are there.

You'll have to go to the dealership where the car was service.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I kind of figured the person would visit the dealership where the vehicle was originally purchased. If he is buying a GTS locally...there is no reason to not visit the place where the car was bought...thats where I figure Toyota would keep a track of warranty work done to the car...especially something as big as a misshift.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
would it be possible to take it to a local shop and see if they think the motor is in good condition...would they be able to find any problems that would come from a previous miss shift????

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i live in Garland (suburb of Dallas) Texas and there are like a billion toyota dealerships in the metroplex. i'm sorry but carbon blue is my least favorite of the celica colors.

i might be wrong but alot of people dont blow their engine the moment they misshift. remember the thing about people being scared when they hit 40k miles their engine will blow. that was caused by previous misshifts right?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think there is no real way to tell if mis-shifted. That why I always like to get a new car. That being said if you have to go used I would probably opt for a GT unless I knew the guy selling the GT-S

·
Registered
785 Posts
IRL said:
I kind of figured the person would visit the dealership where the vehicle was originally purchased. If he is buying a GTS locally...there is no reason to not visit the place where the car was bought...thats where I figure Toyota would keep a track of warranty work done to the car...especially something as big as a misshift.
in a small town, OK. In Jax there are 5-6 yota dealerships. I bought at one dealer and had an engine replaced at another.

PS The new engine is just as good as the first. Don't worry 'bout that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts