NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subzero is a very popular wheel, has anyone experienced the spokes cracking?

we just found out after lots of frustration trying to find where this damn noise was coming from that 2 of my spokes are cracked. I've had the rims on my car for probably 2.5 years, so i'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this from hard bumps in the road or long time wear.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is a known problem with the subzero and many of the other light weight rims. To make them light they are just not as strong.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
i belive this is just a general problem with Rota rims. i remember awhile back my friends rotas started cracking and he didn't notice it until he hit a bump and the spoke just snapped. i guess you get what u paid for. might wanna contact rota to see if they can replace it for you

·
Registered
246 Posts
SSR's and Enkei Tarmac's are well known for being easily bent and cracked. This is not a problem limited to Rota, it is the difference between forged and cast and the amount of meat in the rim walls that has been reduced to make the rim light.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well damn i hope my other 3 rims don't crack as well. I am running 215/45's on there right now, i'm going to go up to 225/45 to help give them some cushion. With such stiff suspension those rims take a pretty hard beating on low profile tires.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by J2KGTS6
well damn i hope my other 3 rims don't crack as well. I am running 215/45's on there right now, i'm going to go up to 225/45 to help give them some cushion. With such stiff suspension those rims take a pretty hard beating on low profile tires.
What offset do you have? I have the +45 and the 225/45 will rub.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by J2KGTS6
48 with 5mm spacers
Are you using the H&R ones? Oh did you replace the studs?

That might be ok then......43 is still a bit close.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Offset

You guys are running the wrong offset for the new celicas. I am running 17x8" 5Zigen FNO1R's w/ 225/45/17 tires and they don't even come close to rubbing. You need to run a +35mm offset not +45mm or +48mm that is way too high. I researched it on the 5Zigen Japan Website before I bought them, to get the correct offset.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Offset

2002GTS said:
You guys are running the wrong offset for the new celicas. I am running 17x8" 5Zigen FNO1R's w/ 225/45/17 tires and they don't even come close to rubbing. You need to run a +35mm offset not +45mm or +48mm that is way too high. I researched it on the 5Zigen Japan Website before I bought them, to get the correct offset.
This guy could not be anymore correct~! And mad props bro for buying the 5zigen's they were my first choice but they don't make the ones I wanted in my size. I wanted the 5zigen hyper 19's in a staggered 19x8.5 19x9.5 but they refuse to make anything smaller than 5x114.3 So I got the Axis Milanos in the same size.

As far as this rota talk and enkei talk its really hurting my ears.
Those wheels are such crap. Literally, this isn't even an issue of opinion whether I think they're cool or not. They are simply cheap wheels, and not even that much lighter. I'm not even a big fan of Axis wheels but you'll barely ever hear anyone complain about, Racing harts, Advans, Work, 5Zigen, Axis, Volks, Stern, Haman, iForged, HRE, Sparco, Spoon, and a few more I can't list at the moment.

A cheap rim is a cheap rim, you'll be surprised at the quality of your stock wheels. Buying wheels crappier than your stocks is the most foolish thing anyone can do.
As much as you may want to be different and unique, theres still a reason why most people go with the same brands.
Theres just too many half ass companies out there to ever trust your car with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts