NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wodnering if anyone has used or heard anything about Rotella 5w40 deisel synthetic oil being used on a celica GT-S. My mechanic says it should be the best oil to put in any high performace motor due to the high zinc content. He is currently using it on his 450whp sr20vet and has been for years.... but I just want to be sure it is safe on a 2zz with the special coated pistons we have... if anyone know please let me know.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Haven't put it in a GTS, but I have heard good things about this oil. Great bang for the buck. Most car boards have a group of people singing the praises of this oil. I've never heard anything bad about it.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
yea rotella is great.... in big rigs. lol diesel oil in a gas engine huh? i guess if you got a following the great but theres no way in hell id put anything other then what i know that works in my engine. but eh maybe get some dyno results or something.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I currently switched from Royal Purple 5W-30 to Mobil 1 fully synthetic 5W-40. The Mobile 1 oil says it's for diesel 4x4's and replaces the 15W-40 oil. It's been good so far and I've noticed better oil pressure.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I think Rotella T is extremely good oil. Gas engines are pieces of junk compared to diesel engines, but I think the primary difference is that Rotella has extremely low sulfur, which regular oil does not.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea rotella is great.... in big rigs. lol diesel oil in a gas engine huh?
Haha yeah that was my primary concern, but from what I've been hearing, its actually really good for motors with the high zinc content. I may give it a try, i used to swear by mobile 1 synthetic, until my oil broke down at 4000 miles and caused me to blow up a rod bearing.... 4k on full synthetic and a brand new mobile 1 oil filter... I thought it would last till 5k when I was going to do my oil change.... so needless to say Im not a fan anymore. I may try to Rotella and compare the results from my last dyno.... I doubt there will be a difference and also if there is there is no way to really tell if its simply the oil... and i dont feel like paying for 2 dyno sessions simply to test oil... we will see how it goes though.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you want the ZDDP plus some moly go redline. I have 5W-30 in mine now. Mobil 1 tends to run on the thin side of the SAE grade @100C.

But I have run Mobil1 5W-30 and 10W-30 in the celica (2ZZ) for about 100,000 miles and the MR2 (1ZZ) for 35,000 miles on 5000 mile change intervals without problem.
dB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, this is his mechanic. We put in the 15w40 rotella for break in of his motor...amazing. The stuff is thick and has less stringent emissions regulations. I am not sure if many people are aware, but the beginning of 08 they reformulated all oils for lower zinc phosphate (the main anti-wear additive in oil), even diesel oils got reformulated for the 07+ model diesel engines.

The full synthetic 5w40 rotella has the higher zinc content of the pre-2007 regulations, and more than 3X the zinc of the reformulated gas-oil. You may notice a drop in mpg because it runs a little thicker when up to temp, but that is up to you to decide. For me, it is worth the extra protection to have a better oil.

We already did the 15w40 rotella and switched to 5w30 castrol syntec and immediately noticed a difference in both engine response and power! the rotella non-synthetic obviously is not the one to use, synthetic all the way!

By the way kurt the car runs freaking awesome!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
royal purple 5w-30 for me, worked alot smoother than any other oil i have used

·
Registered
484 Posts
yeah ive been hearing good results with this oil due to the zinc contents. I was told that our engines rely mostly on zinc due to the 2zz weak cams.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was told that our engines rely mostly on zinc due to the 2zz weak cams
we dont have weak cames we only have weak ring lands,

I've been running synthetic Mobil 5W40 Diesel oil in my build it does a pretty good job.
how long u been running the synthetic 5w40 diesel cuz im running 5w30 syntectic for cars for mobile just wondering how much better it is wheater its worth the switch????

1 - 16 of 16 Posts