NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, royal purple is a very high quality oil on par or better than Redline. However, I wouldn't buy it expecting any hp gains. I can see how theoretically a superior oil can have those benefits, but don't hold your breath. Buy it because it's an excellent oil, but not for any hp gains. Redline is fine too. Both are worth it if you run your car pretty hard on a regular basis (ie track).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Amsoil is the best according to www.motor-oil-bible.com which tests 40 different oils. Both Royal Purple and Redline do very good as well. You will not notice any HP difference in any oil you use so don't expect any miracle oil. All they do is do a great job at protecting your engine.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i was just checking out this site:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
http://www.off-road.com/RoverWeb/OilFAQ.html

it has some great info about the different properties of oils, whats important, and then it lists the stats of dozens of brands for every weight. and it doesn't seem to be biased, just presents good data.

in my opion it shows the amsoil is the best 5w30 due to it has the highest viscosity index (except chevron supreme which has a ? next to it so i'm guess its wrong) meaning its viscosity stays more constant, it has the highest flashpoint meaning its less likely to burn up, by far the lowest pour point, and no ash or zinc

redline is decent too, it has no ash or zinc, but its viscosity rating is just not there

however, this page is like 5 years old so some of this data may be dated. but its still some good info and can give you some numbers to look for as your minimum.

·
Registered
42 Posts
J3adSeed said:
i never go with those extended drain intervals anyway, i still change it every 3000 miles just because i want to make sure my oil is clean. it might be wasteful but i think its worth it.
Dude, just pay for an oil analysis at the 5k mark. It's less than $20. Then go 10K then 15k doing the same thing. While $40+ dollars testing 3 times seems like alot, you will know how far you can go on 1 oil change. As long as you use either a Mobil 1, K&N or Amsoil filter, you can go 7-10k without a filter change. Mobil 1 and K&N are a tad bit better filters than the Amsoil's, but they are all leaps and bounds above the rest. Actually Champion labs makes both the K&N and the Mobil 1 filters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
d_m_kolb said:
K&N and Mobil 1 oil filters have nothing on AMSOIL Super Duty oil filters. Neither K&N or Mobil 1 recommends extended drain intervals either.

http://www.twocom.com/high_performance_synthetics/Super_duty_filters
Yes they are better. I realise your pimping Amsoil and I agree the oil is the best, but numerous reviews of filters prove that the Mobil 1 and the K&N are both slightly better filters. Maxima.org has a huge oil/oil filter database proving this and yes we have many Amsoil distributors that also agree that these filters are better than Amsoils. Both of the the other filters, filter down to 10 microns, Amsoil only goes 15-20 microns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe the standard Toyotas are Purolator PureOne's. PureOne's are the absolute best paper media filter and the have an awesome bypass valve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
J3adSeed said:
can you link to this, i couldn't find it
You have to register. www.maxima.org and go to the general section and you will see a link that says Oil Analysis Spreadsheet or something like that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Okay, so it looks like Amsoil is the best??? I know there is no magical oil the will give me 200hp or anything like that, I just want protection for my car. Also how many miles should a car have on it before you go synthetic? I heard that you should not use synthetics on lower mileage cars. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The people over here don't think very higly of Royal Purple, I think because of it loosing visc. over time and having higher than normal wear materials in the oil compared to the other high end synthetics. They consider Amsoil good, but not always the best. I suggest that people go over there for a good factual discussion on oil
http://theoildrop.server101.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts