NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone know if it makes any noticible difference running without the foglight on the driver's side (with AEM cold air intake)? I was thinking about doing this at the track, but wasn't sure if it will actually make any difference.

I was also thinking about getting a new cone filter with an open end type element to enhance the ram air effect along with the open fog light housing? Looking for better top end power!!!

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Unless you're going over 100 (maybe even more), the engine will be sucking in faster than the car's speed can push into the intake, so there won't be any ram air effect.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
besides, the AEM filter is sealed on the end. This is horrible this idea. Does ram air even really exist? I never understood how you could "ram" air into your engine just by driving around with a hole in your hood :) Seems to me you need a turbo or supercharger to really ram extra air in. Maybe they just mean that the air box is less restricted, and throught that ram air sounded like a cool name?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the fact that the opening for the fog light sits right in front of the air filer on the CAI thus giving it a more efficient flow of air? Will it help me in the quarter mile? Don't care if it is a ram air effect or not, just want to get a better E.T.?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The air in the wheel well isn't restricted at all the way it is. I've also heard that going fast can create a negative pressure situation, where the air is being sucked out of the wheel well faster than it enters, making it harder for the CAI to suck up any air that flows by it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically you're saying it doesn't make any difference and don't waste my time removing the fog light. Well, I appreciate the info, and I will look for other areas to improve performance. thanks

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Well, I'm not gonna say it makes a difference since I never did any back to back testing. But I had the fog removed for my lasts runs last year (including the 13s), the same for all my runs this years. I also used some kindda piping to direct the air on the filter directly.. That's it, no box to surround the filter. I have injen btw ..

At least, there were no down side to it .. exept maybe the filter gets dirty easier after that .. At best .. some gains but never really prooven because of so many external factors .. it's hard to tell .. If it has some effects, it's minimal gains for sure but every little thing counts in the end, right??

It's worth the hour and the 10 box I spent tho ..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Unless you're going over 100 (maybe even more), the engine will be sucking in faster than the car's speed can push into the intake, so there won't be any ram air effect.
This isn't completely true. Think about Ram Air on a motorcycle, mine starts working my bike around 35mph. Want to know the reason why I know this and that Ram Air will work at slower speeds then 100MPH plus?

My float bowl level on my bike is controled by the pressure inside my air box (more pressure = more air = more fuel needed). So as you drive and begin to create pressure inside the air box from the ram air, that pressure will adjust the float bowl level to richen the mixture, via a line running from the air box to the float bowls. The faster you go, the higher the float bowl level and more fuel enters the engine. As you slow down, the floats drop to lean it out.

Back to why I know it can work as slow as 35mph. I had just tuned my bike one day and was in a hurry (never a good thing) to get to bike night. Well, I took her out for a test spin before I changed and I found I had a serious hesitation and the bike wouldn't run over 50mph. At 35mph is pretty much when everything started to crap out and by 50mph, I was done. What was wrong? I forgot to hook up the pressure line from the air box to the float bowls. I pulled the tank when I got back home, hooked up the line and retested. Back to normal.

Moral of the story? Ram Air can work far below 100mph. Will it work as low as 35mph for our cars? I doubt it, but it will work at slower speeds then 100mph and it will be a benefit.

It couldn't hurt to pull the fog light (other then just being a PITA). PUll it off and swap out that air filter. Remember, you have to have a direct air path into the system for it to actually be "Ram Air".

If you're just removing the fog lamp to allow more air to reach the filter, then it's not going to work like you think. You would have to have the filter in the fog lamp opening to see any gains. Even if you direct the air to the filter with a tube, it will not work because you'll have pressure loss between the ram air tube and your filter tube....it would have to be connected.

It's worth doing, you just need to do it correctly.

Originally posted by slicksilvergts
So basically you're saying it doesn't make any difference and don't waste my time removing the fog light. Well, I appreciate the info, and I will look for other areas to improve performance. thanks
Please Read Above.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Red01GTS
This isn't completely true. Think about Ram Air on a motorcycle, mine starts working my bike around 35mph. Want to know the reason why I know this and that Ram Air will work at slower speeds then 100MPH plus?

My float bowl level on my bike is controled by the pressure inside my air box (more pressure = more air = more fuel needed). So as you drive and begin to create pressure inside the air box from the ram air, that pressure will adjust the float bowl level to richen the mixture, via a line running from the air box to the float bowls. The faster you go, the higher the float bowl level and more fuel enters the engine. As you slow down, the floats drop to lean it out.

Back to why I know it can work as slow as 35mph. I had just tuned my bike one day and was in a hurry (never a good thing) to get to bike night. Well, I took her out for a test spin before I changed and I found I had a serious hesitation and the bike wouldn't run over 50mph. At 35mph is pretty much when everything started to crap out and by 50mph, I was done. What was wrong? I forgot to hook up the pressure line from the air box to the float bowls. I pulled the tank when I got back home, hooked up the line and retested. Back to normal.

Moral of the story? Ram Air can work far below 100mph. Will it work as low as 35mph for our cars? I doubt it, but it will work at slower speeds then 100mph and it will be a benefit.

It couldn't hurt to pull the fog light (other then just being a PITA). PUll it off and swap out that air filter. Remember, you have to have a direct air path into the system for it to actually be "Ram Air".

If you're just removing the fog lamp to allow more air to reach the filter, then it's not going to work like you think. You would have to have the filter in the fog lamp opening to see any gains. Even if you direct the air to the filter with a tube, it will not work because you'll have pressure loss between the ram air tube and your filter tube....it would have to be connected.

What about on fuel injection engines?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
What about on fuel injection engines?

So you're saying that a fuel injection engine will make the ram air not work at lower speeds?

Regardless if the vehicle is fuel injected or not, the intake is still seeing a charge, hence the reason why the float bowls changed in height. The only reason why it ran bad was because the line wasn't attached......but the ram air was still there.....regardles if it's fuel injected or not.

The MAF will read the amount of air going past it, just like in a F/I setup.

I've grown real tired of arguing every point on this site. If you don't think it works, don't run it. Simple as that.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Red01GTS said:

Please Read Above.
wow - float bowls - that brings back memories. I remember I saw a carb in a museum once ;)

I'm a big fan of ram air. a healthy supply of fresh cool air never hurts anything even if you get the ram effect wrong. Try racing one of those ram air firebirds if you want to see how well it works.

I'm not a big fan of carburetors though. I still have nightmares about early 80s tercels with variable venturi carbs <shudder>. Fuel injection is a MUCH more elegant fuel delivery system.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Ugly Pete said:
wasnt it proven that ram air does not worK? someone post a link to one of the many articles. at most you will get cooler air to the intake. trying to force air into the intake wont do anything.
There are high pressure zones on most cars near the edges of the hood right before the windshield. This is where the TRD hood spoilers are placed. Unless you had access to a wind tunnel, and couldn't find out where the pressure zones are for the celica and you would be wasting your time.

To my knowledge this would be the only location that you could actually gain anything, and if you have looked under you hood lately, this would be damn near impossible.

Inducting air from the fog light hole will do nothing except lower your visibility in fog.

this is the first link i found that should answer a few things

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly Pete
wasnt it proven that ram air does not worK? someone post a link to one of the many articles. at most you will get cooler air to the intake. trying to force air into the intake wont do anything.

Then why install a turbo.

Jesus guys, think before you type.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by vatik
There are high pressure zones on most cars near the edges of the hood right before the windshield. This is where the TRD hood spoilers are placed. Unless you had access to a wind tunnel, and couldn't find out where the pressure zones are for the celica and you would be wasting your time.

To my knowledge this would be the only location that you could actually gain anything, and if you have looked under you hood lately, this would be damn near impossible.

Inducting air from the fog light hole will do nothing except lower your visibility in fog.

this is the first link i found that should answer a few things

So you're saying the leading edge of the front bumper.....thefirst place the wind hits....isn't a high pressure zone?

Come on guys.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts