NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I just bought this beautiful 05 Celica GT (75,000 miles) from a prior smoker. I think I'm going to have to replace all the carpeting and maybe the seats. NOTHING has fixed the smoke problem. But that's for another thread.

The car is externally rust free. I noticed a few rusted bolts in the engine compartment and other discolorations that could be a form of corrosion. What can I do to eliminate the rust on the bolt? (see picture). Also what can I spray in there to keep it like new for the foreseeable future. My goal is to keep this car for 10+ years, potentially as a collectors' item or until Toyota releases another Celica just like it.

I read this thread already: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=352081&highlight=rust

Since this car will be in the New York city area for the next year or two, what can I do to keep it in good condition? What can be done on a bolt like this and the area around it to get rid of the rust and to form a protective layer? I'm sure they use sodium chloride here so I've been reading that frequent car washes are necessary. By the way, I also live about ¼ mile from the ocean. I want to avoid all rust, particularly like what I saw in the previously mentioned thread.

Thanks all.

Picture Link

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Replace as much hardware with stainless steel as possible and media blast then paint or powder coat any bare metal brackets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is there a specific thread size or count that I need to buy? (e.g. link on Amazon)

Can media blasting be done directly on the engine while installed in the car?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Replace as much hardware with stainless steel as possible and media blast then paint or powder coat any bare metal brackets.
If you are going to do stainless you need to make sure you are getting it from a reputable source as there is a fair amount of fake stuff. Really all you need though is a coated metal. Zinc, nickel, aluminum, titanium, and such plated bolts would also work.

Solid stainless hardware would cost you an arm and a leg to replace every bolt in your car.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Well if he wants to keep it until it's a collectors car he's got time to replace them all. I don't mean EVERY single one, just the ones that get seen the most like in the engine bay, the doors, hatch area.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
I would not media blast on the car, that's an off the car kind of thing. Once it's blasted it needs to be coated somehow which will be marred during re installation, which is why replacing with chrome or stainless is the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll replace the bolts then. I noticed that there's a mesh under the bolt/washer too so maybe the block has been spared some corrosion.

Is there a manual somewhere that tells me exactly what kind of bolts I need to get? Where does one normally buy these kinds of parts from? I obviously can search on the Internet but I wanted to ask the experts so that I don't buy some crappy components.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
fastenal carries lots of things, most online nut and bolt stores will be fine and you can get things in bulk to lower cost. You should get a thread gauge or a set of nuts and bolts of known sizes so you can check and confirm sizes before ordering. It should all be metric hardware.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,369 Posts
It's a car in the Northeast.... it's gonna rust .

Soak the fabrics & headliner with Fabreze LOL or have it professionally interior detailed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well hopefully I'll have it out of the northeast down to Florida soon. If it snows here I plan to keep it under a tarp. And if I HAVE to drive it to work, then I'll wash it.

Speaking of headliner... is there a guide that tells you how to remove it and clean it? I got it "professionally" cleaned and it was a complete waste of $$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts