NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Don't no...looks like Joe Goeke might me in an A4 in GS... hmm... interesting....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yup, I'd heard the Goekester might bring that car back out. That's the 98 one with the 200hp 5 valve V6. Personally, I'd don't think its much to worry about....now if it turns out that its an 03 V6 with the Sport Package, well then that might be an issue.

Check out the archived 98 results for some interesting comparison info....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
preparedcivic said:
Yup, I'd heard the Goekester might bring that car back out. That's the 98 one with the 200hp 5 valve V6. Personally, I'd don't think its much to worry about....now if it turns out that its an 03 V6 with the Sport Package, well then that might be an issue.

Check out the archived 98 results for some interesting comparison info....
Based on the photos from the Fontana PRO, it is indeed a 98.

http://www.precisionracingorg.com/events/font2/images/jgoeke.jpg

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It might be an interesting car to catch after the launch of a ProSolo, but it is awfully heavy, and from looking at the picture from the Pro, that's a funkload of body roll to tame. Joe's a good driver, but I'm thinking that the car may be hard to overcome. I would love him to bring it to the Peru Pro to see in advance, but my guess is that we won't see it East Denver this year. Especially as well as the Celica's have been doing in '03 so far. ;)- AB

·
Registered
808 Posts
What's the deadline to register? My damn job keeps me guessing about my schedule. But if I can still sign up I may go.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Entry deadlines really don't matter anymore. If you want to go to a Tour or Pro you MUST enter well before whatever deadline may have been listed.

The Tour is full @ 329 drivers on a 325 limit
The Pro is at 149 of a 200 Limit

The entry for the Peru Tour is already at 154 and the event is in July

·
Registered
389 Posts
Don't count Joe out just yet...
Look how well he did at the PRO event(Paxed).
I run with Joe alot and heard that he got some new $$$$$ shocks on that car.
FM

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Shocks will help the car, but it's still way too heavy to compete on the high transition courses.

Take a gander at the car specs:

Engine 2.8-liter dohc 30v V6
Horsepower @ rpm 190 @ 6000
Torque, lb.-ft. @ rpm 207 @ 3200
EPA fuel economy, mpg city/highway 17/27
Base engine 150-hp 1.8-liter dohc 20v turbocharged inline 4-cylinder
Transmission 5-speed manual
Optional transmission 5-speed automatic
Wheelbase 102.6 in.
Length/width/height 176.7/68.2/56.7 in.
Track, f/r 58.9/58.2 in.
Turning circle 36.4 ft.
Head/hip/leg room, f 38.1/NA/41.2 in.
Head/hip/leg room, r 37.8/NA/33.3 in.
Max. cargo volume 31.0 cu. ft.
Suspension, f/r independent/independent
Min. curb weight 3428 lb.
Towing capacity NA
Tires 205/55R-16
Brakes, f/r disc/disc
Fuel capacity 15.6 gal.
Basic warranty 3 years/50,000 miles
Assembled in Neckarsulm, Germany

That minimum curb weight of 3428 is a lot to hustle around. Joe is a very good driver and could make it competitive, but the A4 2.8 has only a slight advantage in torque/lb, but a disadvantage in horsepower/lb as compared to a Celica GT...

He did well at the PRO event, but there wasn't another good driver in one of the 'preferred' GS cars to use as a comparison. - AB

·
Registered
346 Posts
At risk of getting beat up by the left coasters, GS on that side of the country is a little light in talent, so Joe's cherry picking while all of us step all over each other with mixed-up results here in the east. Looking at the entry lists, I'm sure he'll take both the Tour and the Pro easily.

Where's Karen Kraus? We need to hire her to drive somebody's car out west so we can give Joe a lickin' before Topeka.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
He did well at the PRO event, but there wasn't another good driver in one of the 'preferred' GS cars to use as a comparison. - AB
Be careful with the PRO comparisons...their indexing is a little funky. Joe ran raw times that were equal to Will Kalman at that event. Looking through last years Atwater tour results, he is running times that compare favorably with some of the east coast G stockers. (Will beat Chris Hartman in time by quite a bit) I'm sure you guys can take him, but don't take him TOO lightly. I know this is a comparison by proxy, but it does help gauge his times.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Conemasher said:

Be careful with the PRO comparisons...their indexing is a little funky. Joe ran raw times that were equal to Will Kalman at that event. Looking through last years Atwater tour results, he is running times that compare favorably with some of the east coast G stockers. (Will beat Chris Hartman in time by quite a bit) I'm sure you guys can take him, but don't take him TOO lightly. I know this is a comparison by proxy, but it does help gauge his times.
Scott... Mark Darby was as fast as Will Kalman at Atwater. Mark finished 19th at Nationals, about 3.7 seconds off the pace. Granted, he ran better at Atwater, but it's hard to translate that into solid #'s. Only time will tell....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Where's Karen Kraus? We need to hire her to drive somebody's car out west so we can give Joe a lickin' before Topeka.....
Well, I haven't been hired for Wendover yet, and I know Joe has been there the last couple of years.... Rick, you up to another cross-country trek? ;)

Karen

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am working in the lab today (saturday) so in between incubations I snuck out to check out the national tour at qualcomm. It's been raining all day and some parts of the course looked like a river. I watched for about twenty minutes this morning and saw numerous cars spinning like tops, when I went back this afternoon the modified and prepared classes seem to be making better headway than the cars earlier in the day. I always loves seeing the rooster tails flowing behind open wheel racers. Definantely a day to be competing in a coupe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts