NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 255 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looks like the Pioneer DEH-P750MP CD WMA MP3 Player has 6 volt PreOuts. So 172 ohms would give you 500mv, but again that's not a common off-the-shelf value so use 150 ohms (or 180 ohms) instead.

·
Registered
790 Posts
thanks pacific,
i have a few more ?'s though
what do you mean by "unsoldering" at the beginning steps of this mod? i'll be buying a soldering gun this weekend, never actually used one...
right now, i'm planning to install this unit temporarily until i get my jdm console http://www.wholesaleaudio.com/ALPINE/IVA-C800.htm would it be alright if i just leave the resistors which were for the pioneer, and just plug and play with the alpine, or do i have to get new resistors?
also, the last step requires a ground from the hu chassis to the celica frame, is this really necessary? i don't really know where or how to do this part

thanx

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
The 2-RED and 2-YEL wires in the pics are the center wires of the RCA audio cables in the Scosche TA-03 Harness. Scosche slips a short piece of black heat shrink over them, solders 'em to the Toyota connector, then slides the shrink tubing over the solder joint & pins and heats them to shrink tight so nothing can short out across any exposed pins.

I used an exacto knife to slit & remove the black heatshrink so I could expose the wires and unsolder them from the pins (hold the soldering iron on the pin until the solder melts so you can pull the wire free).

Once the wires are free it's easy to twist the resistors onto the exposed ends. After that, "tin" the ends by touching the soldering iron to each end and apply a tiny bit of solder until it flows into the wires, then immediately pull the soldering iron away so you don't melt the RED or YEL jacket. After the ends are cool slip a short piece of heatshrink over them.

If you tinned the ends enough you should be able to rest each wire on a pin, press the soldering iron on top of the wire and it should melt the solder and flow onto the pin. Lift the iron as soon as the solder melts. Hold the wire still - don't move it or else you'll make a cold solder joint which is mechanically weak and electrically "iffy". If it looks shiny, it's good. If it looks matte finish it can't be trusted, reheat & try it again.

After the pins cool, slide the heatshrink over each pin and heat with a heatgun or hair dryer until it shrinks. Don't overheat 'em or they may burn & curl.

The Alpine IVA-C800 has 4volt PreAmp Outs and would ideally need 271 ohm resistors in the harness, but you probably won't notice too much of a difference. You'll still be able to crank it up and it'll still be loud, but you may have to turn up the dial more than your Pioneer. I'd mod the harness for the Pioneer and not worry about the Alpine levels.

In answer to your question about the extra GND... I installed it while troubleshooting the original TA-03 noise problem. After figuiring it out I began wondering if the extra heavy-duty ground was still really necessary. With the key turned to accessory, engine OFF, and HU ON, I could hear a faint tiny bit of noise from the ECU. When I connected the heavy-duty GND wire to the Celi's frame and cinched the bolt down - the noise disappeared.

If you use metal brackets bolted to the sides of your HU, then bolt the brackets to the Celi's frame, this should take care of all the grounding you need, but the best of the best will tell you that it never hurts to run an external heavy-duty GND Strap or GND Wire because "brackets & bolts" have a tendency to work themselves loose over time thru vibration.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks PacificBlue for the install info and everyone for their ohmage (is that a word) feedback.

I used the 620 ohm and it sounds pretty close to when I had it in my other car. I do hear the pop when turning it off but that is something I generally never do.

Thanks again all
nc.org rocks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
this thread rocks
i havent even messed with my radio yet but this is what i have gathered from this thread and all the links that deal with it
\/
this only deals with the premuim sound in the gt-s
i take it the jbl factory sound thats in my 03 gts is premuim

the head deck i have to put in is my alpine 9813

this has 3 sets of pre outs
front rear and sub
these are 4 volt pre outs
( so i would be shooting for 271 [email protected]?)
found here 270ohms 1/2 w resistor
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_011_002_014_002&product_id=271-1112

am i forgetting some thing besides the long deck to chassis ground?
oh and where can i get a din mount w/ the little pocket underneath?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I'm glad the thread is still helping out. It was written for 2k-2k2 Celi GTS owners with the 8-Speaker Premium Sound System (not for GT's). Scosche still specs the TA-03 for 2k & up Celica's, so it should work on your 2k3.

Yes, 270 ohms is the magic number for your Alpine. Keep in mind resistors get physically bigger the higher the wattage rating, so although you can use anything from 1/8 watt thru 1/2 watt at 270 ohms, I'd try to stick with 1/8 or 1/4 watt resistors as they fit inside the shrink much better.

As far as the single DIN mounting kit w/pocket goes, probably the most popular one is the SCOSCHE TA2045 with small pocket underneath. You can check it out here: Scosche TA2045 Single DIN w/Pocket

Larry Dougherty did an awesome job custom mounting his HU in a Single DIN mounting kit available from the UK. have a look here: Single DIN mounting kit

It can sometimes be a little difficult holding two heavy pieces of HU gear stable in a double DIN mount, but when Chiznarles still had his 2k Celi, he installed a Double DIN mounting kit and finished it off with a pair of Toyota OEM side fillers to make it look nice and smooth. You can check that out here: Double DIN Installation Kit

The heavy-duty ground is something I did cuz I just don't like depending on the mounting brackets for grounds, especially if they're going to conduct power to ground and double as a pathway for noise to ground. I'd rather trust a nice hunk of copper wire anyday over Japanesium brackets that were never designed to serve as grounds in the first place.

Have fun doing the mod and enjoy the Alpine!

·
Registered
7 Posts
PacificBlue said:
It was written for 2k-2k2 Celi GTS owners with the 8-Speaker Premium Sound System (not for GT's).
Well I guess i'm one of the few GT owners that has a premium sound system and has benefited from your posts.

Has anyone tried the BHA8113 from best kits and harnesses a.k.a. stinger-aamp. I spoke with them and their harness uses 2k ohm resistors on the rca leads.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Yes you are...

According to the 2000 brochure the GT comes standard with: "Deluxe 3-in-1 AM/FM ETR/Cassette/CD with 6 speakers". But you could order the "Upgrade Package" (Upgrade Package - includes power windows and door locks, and cruise control) and then add the "Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM ETR/Cassette/CD with 8 speakers" to the order.

According to the Toyota Schematics, the standard "Deluxe" system (without separate amplifier) uses a 10-pin R2 & 6-pin R3 connector (Scosche TA-02 harness works here), and the "Premium" system (w/separate amplifier) uses a 20-pin R4 connector (Scosche TA-03 harness w/mod works here).

I'll update the top of the thread later when I have more time, thanks for the 411. (01/12/05: done -pb)

The BHA8113 from bestkits.com in the pic below looks identical to the TA-03, and 1.9k/2.0k is essentially the same value (within 10% tolerance). I didn't want to slit the heatshrink open on my TA-03 to find out, so I measured the them with an ohmeter and each one read about 1.9k. So like I said, the BHA8113 kit is probably the same harness as the TA-03 kit. You can compare them for yourself:

BestKits.com BHA8113 - "20 Pin Premium Toyota Harness w/RCA"
(If anyone actually tries the BHA8113, PM me or post here to share your results)

Scosche.com - TA-03 "2000-Up Toyota Amplifier Harness"

Reminder to those "speed-reading" this thread, yes these harnesses will work, but you've gotta mod them first. So don't go ordering one and think it'll work straight out of the package.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Imagehost Changed - No more "Hosted By:" pic-ads...

Update 01/13/05:

I got tired of Imagestation & Tripod leaving commercial pic-ad breadcrumbs behind trying to coerce non-members to join, so I switched imagehosts to ImageShack(TM).

Let me know if there are any problems viewing pics, just PM me instead of posting here (the thread is already long enuff).

~ thanks.

Update 01/14/05:

Added 1.8 volt calculations for newer Clarion HU's:

Click Here: For a table of Termination Resistor Values and Final Test Results

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pacific,

I moded the BH8113 harness with 220 ohm resistors with great success. This harness has 2k ohm resistors so I had to take that into consideration. The 2k resistors were verified with a voltmeter.

Your average calculation of 333 was my goal. Using the 220 was about 13 ohms lower than your average. I have alpine CDA9827 with 4v outs. There were no signs of alternator or electrical noise.

If I were to have purchased the Scosche TA03 I would have tried the 330 ohm resistors which would have put me 3 ohms lower than your average.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I have created an install guide based on this post in hopes that it will be better accessable to all those looking for help. Also, so it wown't be sitting at the top of the audio forum forever. ;)

The install guide should appear in the audio install guide section soon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
hey pacific, can you tell me what kind of resistors I'm going to need for the Alpine CDA-9851, im geting it pretty soon and am hoping you can tell me what kind ill need so the install can go smoothly for me. Thanx

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
122 Posts
thanx pacific, ill let ya know how it works out with those.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok I have a couple questions. I am installing a sony cdx-f7710 in my girls gt-s and I can not find the preamp output voltage in the specs. However on the box I see a small square that says "3pre4v". I am assuming this means it has 3 preamps at 4v. Would this be a correct assumption? So would that mean I need to get a ta-03 and I would need a 271ohm resister (or the closest to that obviously) to make it work in her car? I am just changing the headunit and running the factory everything else. I just want to make sure I am getting this right. Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Your Sony CDX-F7710 has 2 + 1 sets of preamp outs:

4-Volt Front & Rear Preamp Outputs with Selectable High-Pass Filters
4-Volt Subwoofer Preamp Output with Selectable Low-Pass Filter

So yes 271 ohms: or an off-the-shelf value would be 270 ohms.

(and of course, since the FactoryAmp doesn't support a discrete sub, your Sub PreOut doesn't get used unless you add your own)

·
Registered
42 Posts
PacificBlue said:
Your Sony CDX-F7710 has 2 + 1 sets of preamp outs:

4-Volt Front & Rear Preamp Outputs with Selectable High-Pass Filters
4-Volt Subwoofer Preamp Output with Selectable Low-Pass Filter

So yes 271 ohms: or an off-the-shelf value would be 270 ohms.

(and of course, since the FactoryAmp doesn't support a discrete sub, your Sub PreOut doesn't get used unless you add your own)
Thanks alot. I know she is dying to get it in the car so I will go pick them up this week. Thanks alot.

41 - 60 of 255 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.