NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve lost LIFT and can’t understand what it is.

checklist of done stuff:
New Brakes (Rotors and Pads) for Road Trip from CO to NY
Added/topped off Coolant
Cleaned MAFS Sensor
Lubricated Belt for squeaking
Replaced both LIFT Bolts w/3rd Gen. (Silver) Bolts…luckily both the Intake and Exhaust side Bolts were not broken
Other basic stuff Tire Rotation, Oil Change, etc. etc.

for some reason, when I 1st installed the Bolts, felt like LIFT would kick in but my RPM’s only go to 7,000 instead of 8,200 RPM…thought it was the Needle re-calibration but did that as well

only other thing I think it could be is the Greddy Oil Catch…the Hose from the Throttle Body to the Catch Can was sucking in on itself, replaced that as well

still can’t seem to find the solution and the CEL is 1st one I’ve had on for this long….should I uninstalled the Catch Can and/or do you guys think it might be something Electrical?

suggestions, comments, etc. appreciated

·
Registered
296 Posts
I get the same code, sometimes, and when I checked the OCV it worked fine. I haven't checked the lift bolts yet but I bet they are fine too, 10k on motor maybe 20-25 on bolts. Only other options are ECU and pressure switch or the dude rebuilt my head wrong, if that's even possible.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Also check groundwires to Lift OCV housing. Could be the OCV, could be an open or short between OCV and ECM, could be the groundwires.

I'm waiting on feedback from another member who has had the P1693 code. He was going to switch the VVT-i and Lift OCVs. His VVT-i OCV is working but his Lift OCV isn't. By switching them (they are interchangeable for '00 and '01, don't know for the later models) he should stop getting a P1693 code and start getting a P1656 code since according to dealer it's a fried OCV that is causing his P1693.
However, this exercise should be done only to determine if the OCV itself is at fault or not. If switching them out doesn't change code from a P1693 to a P1656 then you know that the problem is elsewhere. There's no need to rev engine past 4k in this case. I don't know of anybody who's tried to hit Lift with a nonworking timing OCV so I don't know what all could happen. My best bet is that the ECU will go into safe mode anyways and prevent lift if the timing OCV isn't working.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info guys

since my Alternator maybe going soon and it doesn't look like it was a Battery problem...looks like maybe able to kill two birds w/one stone type of deal

replace Alternator and clean OCV Valve and possibly replace the Belt

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,247 Posts
Go Gatorback :D

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CelicaBigginer that would be great, please look into that and PM or eMail me anytime: [email protected]

latest update:

1. bought Alternator w/"40,000" on it (mine has around 100K), installed it last night after some painstaking moves but got it installed.
however, the thing is worse than my old one as my Apexi RSM shows Volts is around 10-11 range where normal is around 14 for me

its not the Battery because actually was carrying around my old one and i was able to get it into the Garage

2. Cleaned both sides of OCV...the Lift side was a bit less dirty than the other side but cleaned both....LIFT still does not engage

3. thought it was my Greddy Oil Catch Can, put it back on OEM hose, still LIFT does not engage and goes up to 7000 RPM

4. i'll be springing for a better Alternator since i've got Audio equipment and many Electrical mods...also, did check the Alternator Fuse and that's fine

really having a hard time figuring this thing out

any help is appreciated :werd:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,247 Posts
R K e 1 C A, you can order the Gatorback from www.summitracing.com
You can also order through your local AutoZone

Do you have a CEL? Is it P1693? Is the VVTL oil pressure sensor connected? Have you tried swapping the VVTL OCV with the VVT OCV?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey 2way, thanks for the info about the Gatorback but may hold off on that for now

really would like to do it together but i moved out of my other Garage i was using for working on the ride so not sure if my new Garage i use just to store the ride would allow me to do it

if anyone here is around New York area and would be willing to help me out w/the install of the Belt and Alternator, would really appreciate that

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
get the part number for the gator back belt and go to summitracings.com ..u can get one for 37shipped..i bought mine from autozone and it was 50shipped..my friend got it from summitracing and it's cheaper..*******! lol

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Celica402GTS said:
get the part number for the gator back belt and go to summitracings.com ..u can get one for 37shipped..i bought mine from autozone and it was 50shipped..my friend got it from summitracing and it's cheaper..*******! lol

thanks for the tip :werd:

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and teh Search continues...after going through two different Alternators...got the OEM one i started with back in there and up and running at least :werd:

i'm going to try and Clean my Connectors which was something i found through Searching, hopefully if someone is going through same thing as me...this may help

1 - 20 of 92 Posts