NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm kinda new here, and to spannering too tbh. The rear brakes on my 7th gen celica have seized (I suspect the handbrake is seized from sitting on the RHS), and I was planning to replace the rear discs and pads anyway. After watching a few youtube videos on the procedure (with very rust free cars...), I thought 'how hard can it be' and bought a decent set of discs and pads. I've quickly found however that the rear caliper bolts are rusted on very tight, and I cannot find a way to remove them. So far I've tried brute force with a closed-ended spanner, giving the bolts a good smack with a hammer to try and shock them loose, and leaving to soak overnight with generous amounts of WD-40, but with no success. A breaker bar is not an option, as there is insufficient clearance due to the spring/brake lines, and I do not own a blow torch. I'm also having similar problems with the two retaining/slider pins that hold the pads in place.

At this point I'd quite like to just hand it over to the local garage with the parts and let them sort it, but since the handbrake is stuck on (I've tried the old rock is back and forth method, and hard engine pulling but I don't want to burn out the clutch/end up in the garage wall) I'm not sure I even be able to do this. Oh the joys of DIY car maintenance in the UK...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
497 Posts
You probably need an impact wrench to loosen rusted bolts/ nuts.

Spray the nut with penetrating lubricant.

Try using an impact drill with adapter for the socket. It impacts the bolt axially while torquing. May loosen it out.

Or take the car to a tire shop. use their impact wrench to loosen the nut. Take the car home and complete the job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
On the rear calipers there are 2 sets of bolts to confuse you.

You don’t need to remove the calipers to change the pads. The long pins in the top have a little Jesus clip retaining each pin. Have a look. Remove the clips with some needle nose pliers, then pull the pins out and remove the anti rattle shim. You SHOULD be able to remove the pads.

It is more common that the disc pads rust to the rotor than the hand brake shoes do. If the pads don’t almost pop out give them a tap through the caliper to shock them loose. If you get the pads out and the hub still doesn’t move you need to go further. Do both sides, you’ll have to sometime anyway.

there are 2 bolts at the extremities of the outer caliper part.. the silver bit in your image.. these are not the ones to undo. There are two over the back closer to the centre. These release the callipers.

They shouldn’t be too tight. You can get a socket and breaker bar on these. Righty tighty unless you’re sitting facing the wheel.

AS YOU SAID IT DOES NOT MOVE.. you can’t yet get it to the Tyre shop.

there is an adjuster through the backing plate but it’s tricky to get and you need your tongue out the correct side depending on the temp of last week’s stew.

get that far and we’ll try more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts