NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
I would say at about 60K.

Make sure you get a gatorback belt because it will never squeak again. They have them at autozone... It's only like $30 or so.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i shall pick one up. The guy at Valvoline said mine had quite a bit of cracks in it. I am not sure how to replace it, but i am sure it can't be that hard, or i wouldn't mind paying someone.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Yea same here.

But I think you have to take the wheel off as well as the slash guard. I'm taking mine soon because it's very annoying. I can hear it over my Kazuma lol.

o.t. your tails look nice, ever get pulled over?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,880 Posts
I think you have to take the wheel off as well as the splash guard.
With tool borrowing from AutoZone et al, or a medium breaker bar, it is an easy one person job from the top.

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
With tool borrowing from AutoZone et al, or a medium breaker bar, it is an easy one person job from the top.
Thanks for that info I'll have to check that out.

Is there a DIY anywhere on here?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before today, no i never have been pulled over. That sucks. But it was my fault for speeding, the officer said nothing about the tails.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and thanks for the compliment buddy.

To everyone else, thanks for the answers. My belt has not been squeaking AT ALL, they just STRONGLY recommended a change. I don't know when they don't strongly recommend something.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
ok^ thanks. idk much about small cars like that im a semi (diesel) mechanic. i just know my g/f mazda 6 and the belt on mine didn't look good. and when i changed the one on her grand am i needed that tool ^^^ so i got one from the matco guy when he had it on sale.

thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
263 Posts
It's actually pretty simple depending on how mechanically inclined you are and what kinda tools you got laying around.

Here's the nut that you need to pry on to relieve tension on the belt.

You will need a 3/4" wrench and if you happen to have a pipe laying around that will slide over the whole wrench then even better but if not you can do what I did and just remove the handle from your floor jack and use it like this :)

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
With the crappy tensioner design I've resorted to buying a shorter belt and tensioning with the alternator. Previous owner stripped the hex portrusion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2000 GTS 133K miles 6-spd

My serpentine belt was (supposedly) replaced about 30K miles ago according to the previous owner. But there is a squealing noise when engine is idling. I am guessing it's coming from the serpentine belt. Does the noise mean the belt is worn and needs to be replaced already or someting else?

When you turn the tensioner bolt to relieve the belt tension, you turn it CLOCKWISE/toward forward, right?

Also, I read somewhere in this forum about using an L-shaped Allen wrench. What's that about?

I've never done a serpentine belt replacement.
So, any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,880 Posts
Squealing is not uncommon w/regular belts. Replace it w/a Gatorback belt. You can borrow a belt replacement tool set at most major parts stores. With one of those or a medium breaker bar/socket its very easy to do.
toward forward, right?
Pull towards front is correct, as I recall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.