NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys, for some reason my car is sounding like a diesel engine or a school bus(kind of like a rattling sound). plus my bov is not sounding anymore and i hear no spool. but i can still feel that i am going into boost and the car still feels real fast. i did have a leak where the donut gasket is but we fixed that easily with a new one. today we also had a leak where the turbo and manifold meet. so we took it apart and put in a new gasket. what was sad is that there was no gasket in there in the first place. preassembled my fking ass. we put everything back in and it still sounds like a school bus. we double check and there is no leak anywhere. we don't feel any air coming out of anything.

so why is my car sounding like this and why do i not hear my bov or no spool?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Damn thats messed up that there wasnt a gasket in there at all, i think JCelica132 has the same problem as you do. What kind of problems would it cause if there wasnt a gasket in there? I'm not sure if i have one or not, i didnt check because i trusted SF's work, but now i'm thinking twice about it. Good luck on getting your car fixed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine didnt either then, since it so called came preassembled.

·
Registered
467 Posts
WOW....Where did you get your gasket from Relentless? I hope the noise is just a pipe rattling....that will be easy to fix.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
not sure what you mean by "sounding liek a school bus" - as for teh rattling - look at your pipes and make sure you don't have contact to any body or engine parts. Also check the intake piping and make sure its not come off the turbo inlet.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
do you have a boost gauge to confirm that you are def. going into boost?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
LoL, yes, i have that SAME exact problem. I know what you what mean by sounding like a school bus. I have an exhaust leak i need to fix where that gasket SHOULD have been. No two pieces of metal should be together without a gasket between them. Those two pieces came together without a gasket, giving me an exhaust leak. It feels like I have more power also, but my boost gauge goes from -20Vac to 0 PSI. I thought something must be wrong with my wastegate, but i still haven't had time to check it out. What did you use for a gasket between the manifold and turbo? I was thinking of just using copper gasket maker, would this be good enough?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by JCelica132
LoL, yes, i have that SAME exact problem. I know what you what mean by sounding like a school bus. I have an exhaust leak i need to fix where that gasket SHOULD have been. No two pieces of metal should be together without a gasket between them. Those two pieces came together without a gasket, giving me an exhaust leak. It feels like I have more power also, but my boost gauge goes from -20Vac to 0 PSI. I thought something must be wrong with my wastegate, but i still haven't had time to check it out. What did you use for a gasket between the manifold and turbo? I was thinking of just using copper gasket maker, would this be good enough?
I used liquid cooper gasket. It boiled out of the cracks and got all over my manifold....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alfy - I have to double check to see where he got the gasket. i think he was able to pick up a gasket at auto zone. i think its from a saab b/c he told me that they use t3 super 60's too. i'll check again.

Boosted - when i go begin to accelerate, it sounds just like a school bus. does not sound like a turbo car at all. kind of like a rattling sound.

Twisted - yeah i have a boost gauge, but im only getting 4 psi. mike told me that my wastegate setting was set low. some were set at 4 and 6. i dont know why.

jcelica - yeah it sucks doesn't it. like i said above, u can get the gasket at auto zone but ill double check and let u guys know.

what makes it strange is that my guy is an expert with turbos. there is no leak coming from anywhere and it still makes this sound. for like two hours, we were double checking under neath to find out what was going on, but couldn't find nothing. tried calling mike but he isn't answering.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
RelentlessRacer23 said:

jcelica - yeah it sucks doesn't it. like i said above, u can get the gasket at auto zone but ill double check and let u guys know.

yea, hopefully once i put a gasket between the manifold it'll be good to go. I have a t3/t04b turbo though, so im not sure if i can get my gasket from auto zone

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
RelentlessRacer23 said:
Boosted - when i go begin to accelerate, it sounds just like a school bus. does not sound like a turbo car at all. kind of like a rattling sound.
Sounds like it might be detonation - get that thing tuned asap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think its one of my pipes underneath the car. the pipe that has the 180 degree bend from the compressor is touching the power steering wire and the stabilizer bar. ill try to fix that. also can detonation be caused by high heat. cuz im from houston and its like 100 degrees.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by RelentlessRacer23
i think its one of my pipes underneath the car. the pipe that has the 180 degree bend from the compressor is touching the power steering wire and the stabilizer bar.
180 Degrees is a straight line bro. Nevertheless I hope you can fix the rattling.

Here are my Sf problems...When I accelerate hard my car jerks and hesitates. My cheap A/f guage goes crazy and lights up lean. This only happens with the SS unit installed. Now I'm wondering is this a tunning problem or perhaps there is something wrong with my hoses? If I ease into boost in the higher gears my car will be fine and my A/f will stay around 11-12-13. When the SS unit is disonnected my car will run better but is not as powerful.

My question is...IS my car jerking because of a horrible boost spike, a tunning error, or a bad vacuum hose? I alreayd had Mike retouch my map but now my car jerks even more.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Alfy1 said:
180 Degrees is a straight line bro. Nevertheless I hope you can fix the rattling.

Here are my Sf problems...When I accelerate hard my car jerks and hesitates. My cheap A/f guage goes crazy and lights up lean. This only happens with the SS unit installed. Now I'm wondering is this a tunning problem or perhaps there is something wrong with my hoses? If I ease into boost in the higher gears my car will be fine and my A/f will stay around 11-12-13. When the SS unit is disonnected my car will run better but is not as powerful.

My question is...IS my car jerking because of a horrible boost spike, a tunning error, or a bad vacuum hose? I alreayd had Mike retouch my map but not my car jerks even more.
Hard to say - why don't you log a few pulls and post up the logs - I should be able to load them into my laptop and see if you are getting boost spikes or not.

·
Registered
822 Posts
check your wiring as well, I had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad connection from the split second to the MAF, we soldered that up instead of crimping it...I haven't had that problem since.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Originally posted by Alfy1

My question is...IS my car jerking because of a horrible boost spike, a tunning error, or a bad vacuum hose? I alreayd had Mike retouch my map but now my car jerks even more.
Sounds like you're running to lean. You could try to give some more fuel in the lower rpm's.
Of course, it could be a bad connection as well.

I would advice you not to disconnect the SS unit, if you do so then you will not have any piggyback ECU system connected. Thus, risking to run too lean for the car and get detonation.

Not that i'm a SF turbo expert, since i've never ever seen one before.... but it's just basic tuning knowledge.
Good luck, I hope you can get rid of the bogging :gap:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Bing said:
Sounds like you're running to lean. You could try to give some more fuel in the lower rpm's.
Of course, it could be a bad connection as well.

I would advice you not to disconnect the SS unit, if you do so then you will not have any piggyback ECU system connected. Thus, risking to run too lean for the car and get detonation.

Not that i'm a SF turbo expert, since i've never ever seen one before.... but it's just basic tuning knowledge.
Good luck, I hope you can get rid of the bogging :gap:
Actually you have it backwards - he will run richer without the SS ECU Bing - the reason is the SF FMU is tuned on the rich side for safety - the SS ECU is normally used to pull fuel back out.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by mrtomcat
check your wiring as well, I had similar problems and it turned out to be a bad connection from the split second to the MAF, we soldered that up instead of crimping it...I haven't had that problem since.
You mean were you splice into the MAF right? Ill try soldering it. Thanks that sound like good advice.

Actually Bing it happens at around 3-4 rpms. I actually didn't purchase the tunning hardware because I thought I'd get the Hydra or PFC unit this fall...But it looks like my best bet is to have Boosted look at my car. Btw do either of you two know any side effects I might have if I keep the wideband connected? I remember reading somewhere it will mess up my exhaust?

CoolMike...How is the PFC working with your setup? Do you think it is worth waiting for the hydra? I just wanted something with an OBDII so I dont have to swap and retune for smog. ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts