NewCelica.org Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so many months ago i was in an accident and banged up my front driver side pretty bad. pretty much all the suspension stuff on that side was replaced with new parts. however, ever since then my car would shake at like 60+mph. When i got the car from the shop i noticed they did a ****ty job on the alignment (if they did one at all.) but i was broke and couldnt get anything else fixed.

fast forward to this past weekend, I replaced the front brake pads, rotors and calipers, then got a front alignment and 4 wheel balance. drove the car home and it felt great for the first time in months. no shaking or anything. but today on the drive into work, it has gone back to shaking. not quite as bad as it used to be but it's noticeable.

looking for advice on what it could be.

my thoughts are:

1. some suspension component that has a problem
2. I fixed a tire or two with fix a flat over the winter and it may not have set properly (throwing off the weight when it's cold vs warm)
3. I'm being overly sensitive.

I used to be able to go up to 124 without shaking (as far as i remember)
now i don't speed like that but still at highway speeds it shakes.

it's not a constant shake either. it seems to build up and then go down back and forth like that. i mostly notice it in the steering wheel but i feel like the seat is shaking too.

oh i should also add that the car still pulls to the right if i let go of the steering wheel. so maybe some kind of bushing problem? I just paid $100 for the alignment (and about $1000 in tools and parts so i could do the brake stuff myself) so i'm hoping it's not something that i'll have to pay for another alignment for.

·
Registered
774 Posts
How do your tires look and what PSI are they at. When I had this problem is was because my tire pressure was low and the inside of one of my tires cupped as a result. Same deal at 60 the car shook and pulled.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i had the same problem too. mine was because my driver side front tire looked like an egg. it wasnt round. you can tell if you lift it up and spin it fast with your hands. hope this helped

·
Registered
177 Posts
In your post you said you got a front-end alignment. Are you sure it wasn't a four-wheel alignment, especially if you paid $100 for one. Using Fix-a-Flat or Slime can throw off the balance if not done correctly (I always get the flat fixed if possible, because I'm picky like that). Did they tell you of any issues after the alignment? I'd also get your tires rotated and balanced as well as check the tire pressure.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had this problem on my RAV4 4 years ago after I had slid on some ice and into a curb. Took it in to Toyota and they said that something had gotten compressed in my steering rack. Not only was I noticing a shaking in the car, but my steering wheel would shake as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had this problem on my RAV4 4 years ago after I had slid on some ice and into a curb. Took it in to Toyota and they said that something had gotten compressed in my steering rack. Not only was I noticing a shaking in the car, but my steering wheel would shake as well.
See i'm worried about it being something like this. Do you remember how much it cost to fix?

As for the tires being the issue, I had the rotated when i had the alignment done but i'll jack it up and check all four. although you can't spin the back wheels in park right?

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's a FWD so having it in park makes no difference for the rear, only when you have the parking brake pulled. Do you know if they balanced the tires and rotated them or just rotated them?

·
Registered
794 Posts
either you have an unbalanced tire or you got a wasted rackend. Part or the tire rod that is already needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the same problem on my car a while ago...turns out one of the wheels was bent. It made it impossible to balance. I found a place to repair and repaint it for 140$

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a FWD so having it in park makes no difference for the rear, only when you have the parking brake pulled. Do you know if they balanced the tires and rotated them or just rotated them?

ah you're right, lol i always have the parking brake on when i jacked it up so i didn't realize.

they rotated them (front to back), balanced all 4 then did front alignment.

either you have an unbalanced tire or you got a wasted rackend. Part or the tire rod that is already needed to be replaced.
unbalanced tire isn't very likely (since i just had that done) but a bad steering rack could definitely be it. My first accident i hit the front driver side into the side of another car and royally f'ed the whole area. it was like 3 or 4k to fix (out of pocket). they replaced a whole ton of stuff, i can't even remember it all. I know there was joints and mounts and tie rods and a whole bunch.

I had the same problem on my car a while ago...turns out one of the wheels was bent. It made it impossible to balance. I found a place to repair and repaint it for 140$
this is possible too but the place did a balance and didn't say there was any problem.

Considering all the variables caused by the accident a while back i'm wondering if it may just be something i'll have to live with. There's no way i'll be able to fix anything serious for less than a few hundred. and when these tires wear down i'm gonna buy new wheels and tires at the same time since it's only like 300 more.

however i've been trying to be more critical of the shaking. It's definitely gotten less severe since the balance/rotating/alignment. which makes me think it might be something with one of the tires/wheels that was in the front (and is now in the back) I read somewhere that when a wheel/tire causes shaking, if it effects mostly the steering wheel, it's a front tire/wheel and if it's the whole car and not specifically the steering wheel then it's a back tire. and this shaking went from being mostly steering wheel plus a little car (my son could feel it and mentioned it and he's only 4) to being a less severe shack but more of the whole car (including the steering wheel but not as much as before the balance/rotating) I know that my front passenger side was one that i used a can of fix a flat on a cold winter day, that maybe that built up and causes shake at high speed.

bah SO MANY VARIABLES!!!

p.s. thanks for all the suggestions guys i appreciate it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Most places won't tell you if a wheel is bent unless they have a problem mounting the tire. I'd say take it somewhere that will let you take a close look at the wheels with the tires off....take the same opportunity to clean up all the gunk from the fix-a-flat and see if it helps.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My tire shop told me tires fixed with fix-a-flat gooey stuff cannot be balanced. If it's mounted in front, it will shake your steering wheel. It does not shake too bad if mounted in the rear.

Rotate the front tires to the rear to see if it's improved.

Car was cruising smoothly at high speed before I hit a high curb hard with right tire, bent the wheel, tire has a flat spot, strut collapsed. Now Car made wobbling sound.

I replaced wheel, tire and strut. The car got a lot better but still vibrates at high speed. I think the axle was bent. Bearing started to make rattling noise. A bent axle would wiggle the bearing and destroy it.

Will be buying a Cardone axle and JDM bearing from Rock Auto (total $140) and hope they will fix the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.