NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. I've noticed a couple things on my 7th Generation 2001 GT that concern me a bit and so I need to take it to the mechanic sometime. Before I do that, I wanted to post on the forums and get some feedback on the problem, see if it's something that needs immediate attention, and get an idea for a repair cost.

The main problem lately has not really been functionality- but I'm afraid it might turn into it. Basically, I noticed that when I put my Celica in 5th gear I hear a noise. I'm not sure how to describe it but it sounds like something is slightly loose, and it seems very related to the fith gear.

If I'm driving at 45 mph, and slowly engage the 5th gear, I can hear it slowly come in and stay as long as I accelerate with the 5th gear engaged. Lately it seems like it wants to do the same with 4rth gear. Weird thing is, it doesn't always happen and sometimes the noise is not noticeable and when it is it's not a huge problem.

The car doesn't "feel" any different. Shifting to 4/5th gear isn't any different than it was before, nor do I feel any less power.

The first time I noticed the noise was when I took off real fast, revved to 5K RPM on 1st, 2nd, and then engaged the clutch, (I must have been going 45 mph by then). After a few seconds when I slowed down to 40mph I engaged the 5th gear and that's when I started hearing the noise.

Also it also seems like the noise is more prevalent during Winter weather, as I don't hear it very much lately. Hopefully it's not a big deal.

Any thoughts?

The other couple things were the brake discs make a high-pitched noise when I brake and I sounds like a semi-truck. It's almost embarrassing. At two different mechanics they told me the brakes were fine- and they feel just great- but is there any way I can get rid of the noise?

Finally- I like to employ engine braking to some extent. I do it on a daily basis- is that bad for my vehicle?

Anxious to hear y'alls thoughts.

-Pablo

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
eh? no grinding? squeeking? when you shift? I know i had a squeek when i would throw from first to second, but fixed that with some lithium grease.
not sure what you mean by a noise... lol cars make alot of them

your breaking problem sounds like warn out brake pads, maybe your mechanics are dumb ****s? lol
pull the wheel off and look at them yourself, snap some photos

·
Registered
85 Posts
Brake noise could be a fitment issue or the brakes could be glazed. Best way to check for both is to remove the pads. If it's a fitment issue the back of the pads will be worn where the caliper meets the pad and/or surrounding area. When in use the pad will shift slightly and cause the caliper and cups to press against the pad putting stress on different points of the pad creating an unbearable noise (usually when stopping from higher speeds, anything over 35-40mph). If your pads are glazed you can tell by feeling and seeing a very smooth shiny surface. Take some 800 grit sandpaper and scuff up one side of the pad. If it looks noticably different replace all the pads in the front. Next chech the wear pattern on the rotors. If there is a lip on the outer edge to the finished area of the rotor, have them turned. The lip can cause the brake pads to shift. IMO, i would turn the rotors and make sure you replace the pads. IF the noise persists work your way from there to the Ujoints (doubt this would be your proplem, but stranger things have happened).

Hope this helps..

~ Rouk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

Thanks for the posts- they were definitely helpful in regards to the brakes, if anything.

Just for you all to know, I took my car to a friend of mine's mechanic, and took the mechanic for a test drive about the noise when the upper gears are engaged. He figured it out pretty quickly and took me to his shop, showed me some transmissions and pointed out the problem:

He said there are some bearings within the gears inside the transmission that make the gears slide when you shift. Apparently one of these bearings is not in the best condition- the bearing affecting the 4rth and 5th gears. This is causing the noise.

He said it's not really detrimental, but it should probably be changed. The effect of it on my car could vary- I might be able to drive just fine for as long as the car lasts or I may need to do something about it after a while.

However, to fix it- he would have to take out the transmission, open it, replace the bearings inside the gears and put it all back together. This is quite a bit of work- also, because this is quite an undertaking he said he would go ahead and replace any other bearings as well as take care of anything else that is out of place and give me 12,000 mile warranty on the transmission. He said he would not do less, since he didn't want the car's transmission to have some other problem because he did not take care of it all then.

The price tag he would be willing to give me because of my friend would be $1,600. This is killer, but I suppose understandable. He said he didn't think anyone would do it for less than $1800 and most would do it for around $2200.

I asked him about the clutch, (figured maybe I could put a new one in there while I'm at it), and he said if I wanted to he would just charge me for the parts since he's taking the whole transmission apart- he mentioned that would probably cost me an additional $300.

What do you guys think? Do those prices sound right? I'm still going to check out some other places.

Also it got me thinking- would it be cheaper just to buy a new transmission and have him put that one in? Do they still make Celica transmissions? If I could, do you guys think a transmission from a GTS would be compatible with the GT? I would really like a 6-speed transmission. I think I would get better gas mileage and I wouldn't have to maintain my RPM at 3K when I'm driving down the highway.

Thanks again for the replies- would love to hear your thoughts on the transmission issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.