NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question:

I have a 2000 Celica GT 5-speed, and when I shift at redline from first to second gear, I grind gears everytime. I never grind during any other gears. Is it the fact that I suck at shifting, and am still giving it some throttle when I try to shift fast (even though I do this for other gears) or could it be something wrong with my gears, people are always talking about "syncros." Please explain whats going on, thanks in advance, can this be fixed?

TIM

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think it is caused by you pulling to the left too much while doing the 1-2 shift. I am not totally sure but I have this same problem and trying to pull the shifter straight back w/o pulling to the left solves it. Anyone else have some input?

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
2kcelicaGT said:
hmm, interseting comments, this could be true, does the syncro problem sound at all possible thou, or is this completely different, thanks, TIM
get another celi owner around u to drive your car. If it still grinds on the 1-2 shift, then most likely you have a synchro problem.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's definitely the synchos. there is no way if the synchos wasn't bad for you to grind it shifting, if you push in the clutch to shift which it seems like you are doing. and why would it only happen for that gear? by coincidence? take it in to dealer if your warranty is still good

2kcelicaGT said:
I have a quick question:

I have a 2000 Celica GT 5-speed, and when I shift at redline from first to second gear, I grind gears everytime. I never grind during any other gears. Is it the fact that I suck at shifting, and am still giving it some throttle when I try to shift fast (even though I do this for other gears) or could it be something wrong with my gears, people are always talking about "syncros." Please explain whats going on, thanks in advance, can this be fixed?

TIM

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
warranty is no good anymore, how much does it cost to fix the syncros and what exactly does this mean...syncros...is it how the gears line up? Is this an easy fix or a rough one, how much is Toyota going to charge me for labor and what parts are needed, thanks TIM

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
first off....go to the dealer and ask them to tell u what's exactly wrong w/ it. then when they tell u, tell them "i need some time to get $$ to fix this" or "i need some time to think about this" and shop around for tranny shops. get the part online and get it done at a reputable shop.

I don't recomend getting toyota to do it. It will cost u an arm and a leg.

that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, good idea, what kind of part do i need to fix this syncro for the first two second gear transition, and do you have any idea what a good price is for the part, and the labor involved, looking for estimate of what this might cost me in total, ballpark range, cause I have no idea what I am getting myself into ;)

TIM

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
i think it might be cheaper to get a used 6sp tranny off a used/wrecked celi and use that. I would have given u my extra tranny from extra motor but it's an auto tranny:gap:

EDIT: i don't think any one this board has done a tranny job besides that the dealer has done. so it would be pretty hard to find a good estimate from another member. I say check out ur dealer and then check out the tranny shops around u.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Re: Re: Shifting Problem??

kpsilverman said:
It's definitely the synchos. there is no way if the synchos wasn't bad for you to grind it shifting, if you push in the clutch to shift which it seems like you are doing. and why would it only happen for that gear? by coincidence? take it in to dealer if your warranty is still good

The synchros are the issue, but they aren't bad. You are outshifting them. Concentrate on a smooth shift as opposed to a really quick jerky shift and you will be fine. Don't worry, many people have experienced what you are going through. Don't try to out muscle the car.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, true, i guess since it sounds expensive and like a huge job, I will just ignore it, I guess I just wont be redlining in first and jamming it in second that much anymore, it will keep my speeds down anyway ;) Thanks everyone for the info!

TIM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts