NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still relatively new to stick shift, and as I did with automatic, I value smooth car rides with no jerks, so...

What methods do you guys suggest to have the smoothest shifts from 1st to 2nd gear on my 6 speed GT-S? Quick shifts before the rpm's fall? Or shifts with rev matching?

While it makes sense for me to do "gas out ~ clutch in ~ shift ~ clutch out ~ gas in" as quickly as possible, my father stresses to me that I should take my time and rev match with the gas a little while letting the clutch up for a smooth transition. I've been indecicive between the two methods while driving, and I become more inconsistant in smoothness when my mind thinks about it and alternates between the two.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you want it to be smooth then take your dads advice. Rev match.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Get out of the gas a hair sec after you begin pushing the clutch in, so the rpms climb a few hundred, then shift as normal.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The time it takes my engine to fall from 4k to 3k RPM is basically the same time it takes me to shift from 1st to 2nd, so they always match up for me.

I dont always shift at 4 exactly, just an example.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Get out of the gas a hair sec after you begin pushing the clutch in, so the rpms climb a few hundred, then shift as normal.
Isnt this the same as "riding" the clutch?
Instead let off the gas a hair sec before pushing in the clutch then depress the clutch all the way down, shift and now let the clutch out slowly while slowly givin her some gas. < you should feel the friction point of the clutch being engaged keep it there until the clutch is all the way up. Dont let it out too slow or to quick and do it smoothly! Manuals not hard at all just takes alitte practice.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pulsar1 said:
^^This is what I do when I'm WOT, but otherwise I recomend moving your feet simultainiously.The key to smoothness is listening and feeling what your car is doing. ...not thinking about what you're doing.

Oh yeah, JUST DRIVE! and in 6000 miles you'll have it.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been following you guys & my dad's advice for months and it's been the most consistant, I was just wondering what techniques other celica owners had for the smoothest shifts.

And I've been getting the hang of stick shift more & more each month. Thanks!

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Pulsar1 said:
That's what I did. Smooth shifting is basically all about timing and finesse.
kylebGTS said:
Nope, riding the clutch is holding it in and coasting in neutral. Bad on the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Pulsar1 said:
That's what I did. Smooth shifting is basically all about timing and finesse.
kylebGTS said:
Nope, riding the clutch is holding it in and coasting in neutral. Bad on the throwout bearing.
:werd:

Just practice. You really have to "feel" the car. There are no specific RPMs that will deliver a smooth shift, because with enough practice you can shift smoothly at ANY RPM. Of course, at higher RPMs you'll feel a bigger deceleration jerk, but it's not unusual to be able to get into the next gear smoothly.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
GTsRasta said:
While it makes sense for me to do "gas out ~ clutch in ~ shift ~ clutch out ~ gas in" as quickly as possible ...
BTW that's probably the least smoothest shift technique ...

When you shift, you let off the gas and depress the clutch at the same time, right?

·
Registered
473 Posts
< I was thinking more so about how when people drive around with there foot covering the clutch pedal and dont realize that they are actually pushing it in a little while cruising. But these are both forms of riding it. Pulsars comment falls more so under my example of riding the clutch, because he is saying to push in the clutch while you are still using the gas pedal, which would eventually have you looking into a replacement clutch and throwout bearing>
gas a hair sec after you begin pushing the clutch in,

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
rev your car to 4-6k rpms and just release the clutch as fast as you can, you might feel a little burn out but thats normal. nah im kidding, just practice, just know when your clutch engages and just release slowly at the point all the time and gas moderately, not too much, not too little, and shift around 3k.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Easy on the clutch, and rev-match, also the faster you accelerate the more choppy the ride will be, and the more difficult the rev-matching will be.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
kylebGTS said:
Instead let off the gas a hair sec before pushing in the clutch then depress the clutch all the way down, shift and now let the clutch out slowly while slowly givin her some gas. < you should feel the friction point of the clutch being engaged keep it there until the clutch is all the way up. Dont let it out too slow or to quick and do it smoothly! Manuals not hard at all just takes alitte practice.
I've been practicing and it's getting more and more consistant. Thanks everybody!

Blue Bomber said:
riding the clutch is holding it in and coasting in neutral. Bad on the throwout bearing.
What about coasting when approaching a corner or an intersection? I dislike the idea of clutch wear from down shifting, so I coast and have 1st or 2nd available for me to shift into, depending on my speed and ongoing traffic. Is that fine? Or is there a better way to handle busy intersections?

·
Registered
273 Posts
won't rev matching burn out your clutch faster?

I don't know...I've been driving a stick ever since I was 16 yrs old and I do it clutch in - gas out - shift - clutch out - gas in
As everyone stated before, it all depends on your timing... It took me about 6 months to get a little smooth, but by a year or so I was like a pro (most likely the same as everyone else). You aren't going to learn to take off quick and be smooth in a month or two... Again, as everyone stated, you need to learn to FEEL you car. When you can shift by the sound of the engine and not looking at your RPMs, then you are getting good! Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. I mean, I've drivin everything from the celica to stangs to S2000 and even my POS car now...
But...there's nothing like driving a stick...!! :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
2swft4u said:
won't rev matching burn out your clutch faster?

I don't know...I've been driving a stick ever since I was 16 yrs old and I do it clutch in - gas out - shift - clutch out - gas in
As everyone stated before, it all depends on your timing... It took me about 6 months to get a little smooth, but by a year or so I was like a pro (most likely the same as everyone else). You aren't going to learn to take off quick and be smooth in a month or two... Again, as everyone stated, you need to learn to FEEL you car. When you can shift by the sound of the engine and not looking at your RPMs, then you are getting good! Just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. I mean, I've drivin everything from the celica to stangs to S2000 and even my POS car now...
But...there's nothing like driving a stick...!! :)

Rev matching puts almost no wear on the clutch. If you match right, then the clutch and fly wheel will be spinning at the same speed, so when they contact there wont be any friction between them to wear the clutch.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
GTsRasta said:
I've been practicing and it's getting more and more consistant. Thanks everybody!

What about coasting when approaching a corner or an intersection? I dislike the idea of clutch wear from down shifting, so I coast and have 1st or 2nd available for me to shift into, depending on my speed and ongoing traffic. Is that fine? Or is there a better way to handle busy intersections?
Put the car in neutral, let the car coast, then heel toe and double clutch it into 2nd;thats if you need to use the brakes. Other wise just double clutch it into 2nd. Theres no need to use 1st unless your leaving from a dead stop really.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I would say those are on-off device. You let the clutch out as quick as you can and at the same time jump on the gas. and at the same time shift as fast as you can and synchronise this to have maximum power to the ground. This is the way to drive those gts bud ... :evil:

Ok ... back to your real question now. If you want a really smooth shift, you let the tranny do the job for you. You need to be really smooth on it, use almost no force at all. The gear enters like it it is butter when the revs r perfectly match. be patient and wait for it. And they will match when you up shift. So, if you give it a lil of force, most likely, it will enter prior to synchronization which is not what you want for a smooth shift. As soon as it goes in very smooth, let out the clutch and you should have a very fluid acceleration without any buging or anything. Th ekey is to be very smooth and let te tranny do the job.

If you want to know more about this and make it harder, try the same thing but w/o pressing the clucth. ;) At the perfect match point, the gear enters itself with almost no force too. When you pull out of the gear, you need to release the gas a lil before to shift to make sure there is no load on the wheels.

But imo, if you want to babe your syncros, mostly pay attention to your downshifts. Rev match or even better, double clutch. Especially when you downshift 2-3 gears at the same time. Other than that, your syncros r there for something you know ..

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Why might people do this anyways when they could just release the clutch and still coast since its in neutral?

Just stupidity?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts